Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello, first post here....
anyway a few weeks ago I started sniffing around the used market due to the great prices and test drove a Model 3 DM AWD and fell in love with that instant torque and go kart like feel ....then about a week later Tesla announced the price cuts.

So now, I'm contemplating selling my 718 Cayman and getting a new Model 3 Performance.....some say go for it, some say I'm crazy🤪

I have a beautiful GBM 718 with manual transmission and a BMW 4 series that I could consolidate with a M3P...I also have a Rubicon, and a wife who works from home since covid, so the three cars is overkill these days...I'm likely to take a bit of a hit on the 718 just in the sales tax I paid, but should get back close to what I paid for it and with the price cuts and tax credit, it still worth it.

Anybody else ditch a sports car for a M3??? Any regrets or are you still very happy with your choice?

IMG-7773.jpg

thanks for any feedback

Hi welcome to TMC.

The forum software recommends existing threads that might be on the topic you are creating a thread on. A couple of these fit exactly what you are asking. FWIW, Lots of people sold BMWs etc to get model 3s, but I think the number of people who would sell a Porsche is much smaller. Perhaps consider keeping the porsche and selling one of your other cars, and use the model 3 as your commuter?

In any case, here are a few other extensive threads on this exact topic. Consider taking a look through these:

• Helpful
Reactions: Darmie
Does a 2016 BMW F80 M3 count? About the same size, similar price.

If so, then I'm 110% happy with the change. So much, I'm on my second Model 3 Performance. I like to upgrade every 3-4 years :)

Never going to back to ICE. I love the acceleration, the tech and the every day usability of a Tesla. Long live the frunk!

However... your 718 Cayman seems very special. Love the looks! If it's reasonable to keep it, you might want to consider doing such.

A Tesla is just a more 'usable' vehicle vs. a Cayman. But I wouldn't try to convince you that you won't miss the Cayman, it's a unique driving experience that's almost impossible to replicate.

There is one very important thing you have that a Tesla does not, a manual transmission (stick I hope). It is very difficult to find cars today that offer the enjoyment of a stick. So, are you ready to give up the joy of a stick shift?

We've had MINIs for years, had 5, still have 4in the family. Our son went to China for 6 months in 2021 and we kept his M3 while he was gone. Wife fell in love with it. Gotta admit, I kinda liked it too. When we sold our body shop and retired she wanted a MY, of course I had to have the Performance. She agreed. So last month we bought our (her) pearl white MYP. It really is a fun car. More practical than the MINIs as far as taking more than 2 people and WAY better than driving around in her previous Odyssey!

I went from a 718 Cayman GTS to the model 3 last year. The Cayman is more fun and more special as you see much less of them out there. I mostly just drove it to work and back so I didn't really used it's full potential. I like the Tesla more in that you don't need gas or oil. Don't need the yearly maintenance. It has much more tech in it. Can preheat the cabin and such. If I have to, can drive it in the snow. Plus with the money difference was able to help some widows in a third world country. Focusing on priorities so I won't buy an overly expensive vehicle again.

Yes, I moved from a Boxster to an M3P. Similar situation, we'd always been a three-car household and with the move to wfh it no longer made sense. Like you, I went back and forth - we have an M3SR+, so I had plenty of seat time before making my decision. I don't regret it, but I'm definitely eyeing MPP coilovers & bushing to improve the feel of the M3P (it's a great car, but stock it obviously isn't a replacement for the Boxster). I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you're struggling with...

(or if you can manage three cars, drop just the BMW)

Last edited:
That Porsche is a proper sports car. The Tesla is not a proper sports car. They do not respond to the same requirements.
@cappo3 is correct of course, the driving dynamics of the Porsche are in a different class. In my case, I wanted to execute a 2-for-1 swap (not enough miles for two cars) and needed 4 seats, so the MP3 was a perfect option. I stand by my prior comment that I don't regret it, but if I didn't need the seats I don't know that I'd make the same choice.

1674596348481.png

Reactions: tm1v2