Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't wait to hear your opinion once you take delivery and again after you've had the M3P for a month.
yeah, I can't wait to just hear back from Tesla at this point to schedule my delivery appointment 😳

the wait is killing me

update- I called Tesla and got right through and they said I could pick it up as early as Wednesday ....so I took the earliest time available at 11:30

Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
Before the Tesla, I drove Vipers for years. They are amazing high performance sports cars with horsepower in abundance.

After driving Tesla for a while I became aware that in 99% of my driving (non track) the Tesla was actually faster. With just a press of my foot I could untap a tremendous reserve of ready torque. In the Viper I needed to lift throttle, push clutch, re-engage clutch and apply throttle. This takes significantly longer to get going than in the Tesla. The noise, violence, nimble handling and tremendous gforces all made driving the Vipers total joy, but in reality, the actual application of torque was far superior in the Tesla.

Reactions: tm1v2
Interestingly, I am actually trading in my Porsche 981 S tomorrow when picking up my Model 3 RWD. For different reasons though, the market is still rather high, and getting a good trade-in price and waiting for my replacement sports car to arrive later this year (Lotus Emira). The Tesla is rather our go-to daily driver, airport car, etc but not actually "replacing" a sportscar, only for a short while (Hopefully). I did contemplate getting a Performace model, but it's still not a real "sports" car in looks and feel (Performance certainly is). If they would get the roadster going, that would be a valid replacement option for me

Reactions: tm1v2
Interestingly, I am actually trading in my Porsche 981 S tomorrow when picking up my Model 3 RWD. For different reasons though, the market is still rather high, and getting a good trade-in price and waiting for my replacement sports car to arrive later this year (Lotus Emira). The Tesla is rather our go-to daily driver, airport car, etc but not actually "replacing" a sportscar, only for a short while (Hopefully). I did contemplate getting a Performace model, but it's still not a real "sports" car in looks and feel (Performance certainly is). If they would get the roadster going, that would be a valid replacement option for me
I am in love with the Lotus Emira. I wanted a C8 Corvette until I saw the Emira. I think it's the perfect car. Supercharged V6, Mid engine, Toyota reliability, exotic exterior WITH A MANUAL! It's at the top of my sports car replacement list, but I won't be able to get one anytime soon. Please post of your experience once you get yours. I'll be looking forward to reading all about it.

Reactions: alvitdk
I am in love with the Lotus Emira. I wanted a C8 Corvette until I saw the Emira. I think it's the perfect car. Supercharged V6, Mid engine, Toyota reliability, exotic exterior WITH A MANUAL! It's at the top of my sports car replacement list, but I won't be able to get one anytime soon. Please post of your experience once you get yours. I'll be looking forward to reading all about it.
Get it while you can. I've heard that even Lotus will be going electric or hybrid on all their future cars, along with just about everyone else. :(

exactly my thoughts after seeing them....that will be my next car

the website makes it seem like they still aren't available for yet?

have you seen the GT4 version?:oops:

exactly my thoughts after seeing them....that will be my next car

the website makes it seem like they still aren't available for yet?

have you seen the GT4 version?:oops:
Yeah they are ultra rare stateside.

I had not seen the GT4 prior to reading your comment, but after a quick google search. Wow! Stunning!!! I didn't think that car could look any better and now I've been corrected. It's one of the cars I could buy in the "First Edition" spec and not change a single thing but wheels and tires.

She uses the Tesla to go to work and it's the do everything car.

tesla rear 3.jpg

But we have a going out and enjoy the weekend or dinner car
911 Show.jpg

And then we have our hangout car
1933 ford flames 2.jpg

Yeah they are ultra rare stateside.

I had not seen the GT4 prior to reading your comment, but after a quick google search. Wow! Stunning!!! I didn't think that car could look any better and now I've been corrected. It's one of the cars I could buy in the "First Edition" spec and not change a single thing but wheels and tires.

they aren't even out yet here in the states...my rep told me early summer at the earliest.

there is currently a two year wait for the v6 manual right now with a $3000 deposit :oops:

I sold my 911 C4S to get my Model 3 Performance.

Do I regret it? Not for one single second. Do I miss my Porsche? Absolutely. There is no comparison in terms of road feel feedback, cornering, sound, shifting, etc. The Porsche is just an incredible car and a BLAST to drive on a track.

BUT

The M3P is unparalleled in terms of acceleration and daily driving. In fact, I have pretty much made up my mind that I will NEVER buy another gas powered car as a daily driver. Gas powered cars are just idiotic by comparison. Maintenance, repairs, and worst of all buying actual gas. The entire process is a nightmare and something I do not miss (but unfortunately still have to do from time to time until I convince my wife to sell her Range Rover).

That being said, I do have a desire to purchase another 911 or perhaps a Ferrari at some point in the future. But strictly as a weekend / track car. I have absolutely no interest in ever having a gas powered car as a primary vehicle ever again. The benefits electric offer are just overwhelming. It isn't a just a different powertrain, it's a totally new class of vehicle that is superior in almost every conceivable way.

That's insane! A 2 year wait! Well I have 2 years to hit the lotto, which is going to be hard since I don't play. 😂
Indeed, by now it's probably been two years. I placed my order in August 2021, and might get the first edition by September I was told...we will see as it has been delayed several times already. In the meantime, I might just wait for the new Porsche Cyamen in 2025 which will be all-electric as well...

(but unfortunately still have to do from time to time until I convince my wife to sell her Range Rover).

That being said, I do have a desire to purchase another 911 or perhaps a Ferrari at some point in the future.
I was with you until this part. You admit to purchasing a Range Rover and then go on to say you want to purchase a Ferrari. Talk about damaging testamony. Don't undermine the case at the end.

I sold my 911 C4S to get my Model 3 Performance.

Do I regret it? Not for one single second. Do I miss my Porsche? Absolutely. There is no comparison in terms of road feel feedback, cornering, sound, shifting, etc. The Porsche is just an incredible car and a BLAST to drive on a track.

BUT

The M3P is unparalleled in terms of acceleration and daily driving. In fact, I have pretty much made up my mind that I will NEVER buy another gas powered car as a daily driver. Gas powered cars are just idiotic by comparison. Maintenance, repairs, and worst of all buying actual gas. The entire process is a nightmare and something I do not miss (but unfortunately still have to do from time to time until I convince my wife to sell her Range Rover).

That being said, I do have a desire to purchase another 911 or perhaps a Ferrari at some point in the future. But strictly as a weekend / track car. I have absolutely no interest in ever having a gas powered car as a primary vehicle ever again. The benefits electric offer are just overwhelming. It isn't a just a different powertrain, it's a totally new class of vehicle that is superior in almost every conceivable way.
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I feel. Gas cars make no sense to me as daily drivers anymore. I do want a small-ish, raw-ish sports car someday for weekend and track day fun.

Reactions: c00sebookpro
I was with you until this part. You admit to purchasing a Range Rover and then go on to say you want to purchase a Ferrari. Talk about damaging testamony. Don't undermine the case at the end.

You missed the part where I said "my wife's" Range Rover. Not my pick, and we bought it before I got the Tesla. Unfortunately (for me) she wants a giant car and considers the X to be too small and minivan-ish.

However I stand by the statement of eventually wanting to get a Ferrari or another 911 as a fun car. The Tesla is superior in almost every conceivable way but lacks the character and (although I haven't tested this myself) does not appear to be practical for sustained track use.

I grew up in autocross and track, and definitely miss ICE from time to time. I definitely love the more refined ride of the M3 (now that I'm older), instant torque and simplicity over my previous cars, but I do miss banging gears, gas fumes, exhaust notes, vast aftermarket support, and potential mods.

Reactions: alvitdk
You missed the part where I said "my wife's" Range Rover. Not my pick, and we bought it before I got the Tesla. Unfortunately (for me) she wants a giant car and considers the X to be too small and minivan-ish.

However I stand by the statement of eventually wanting to get a Ferrari or another 911 as a fun car. The Tesla is superior in almost every conceivable way but lacks the character and (although I haven't tested this myself) does not appear to be practical for sustained track use.
Some folks can't get it = my wife has an S - I NEVER would have bought an S. She has also owned Saab's and Mercedes - again - vehicles I NEVER would have owned.

Do I missed my 911 Carrera 4 cabrio? Absolutely. Do I miss the maintenance and repair bills? Especially those I knew were coming? No. Not in the slightest.

Reactions: c00sebookpro