Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some folks can't get it = my wife has an S - I NEVER would have bought an S. She has also owned Saab's and Mercedes - again - vehicles I NEVER would have owned.

Do I missed my 911 Carrera 4 cabrio? Absolutely. Do I miss the maintenance and repair bills? Especially those I knew were coming? No. Not in the slightest.

My GT3 has been one of the most reliable, low maint cars that I've owned and it sees primarily track miles.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
You missed the part where I said "my wife's" Range Rover. Not my pick, and we bought it before I got the Tesla. Unfortunately (for me) she wants a giant car and considers the X to be too small and minivan-ish.

However I stand by the statement of eventually wanting to get a Ferrari or another 911 as a fun car. The Tesla is superior in almost every conceivable way but lacks the character and (although I haven't tested this myself) does not appear to be practical for sustained track use.
I did not miss that. What your wife purchases, you purchase as well, at least in most states. I don't tell my wife what car to buy, but I do try to give her info to make good decisions and find something that will be reliable for her. Range Rover certainly has a reputation. In case you're wondering, if you search "is Range Rover reliable," you will see the below quote.

"Land Rover Range Rover is the most unreliable used car. According to the latest figures released by Warrantywise's annual Reliability Index,"

Not just one of the must unreliable, the most unreliable. Edmonds true cost to own projection for 5 years on a 2022 Range Rover Sport at over $161K with $80K of depreciation. Over $11K of expected macitence and repairs in the first five years. That is while it is mostly still under warrantee.

As for Ferrari, if you want me to be honest, I have always viewed the brand mostly as rich people pretending to be car people. Maybe that is just how I was introduced to them though. A few things to consider that most Ferrari fans are unaware of. Enzo Ferrari's desire to win came at the cost of his drivers lives. Many people attribute some of his driver's deaths to Enzo's disregard for his drivers lives and consistent choice of speed over everything including safety. Some in the industry at the time refused to work with Ferrari over this. Enzo Ferrari was also a known misogynistic and if he knew a red car was being ordered for a woman, he would have it changed to yellow because he did not believe women were worthy of a red Ferrari. He was also elitist and looked down on Americans. Enzo even forbid his son from spending time with Americans, who Enzo viewed as beneath him. These among other things further soured my opinion of Ferrari. Are there some legit car people who have Ferraris? Sure. However, I have never seen someone in a Ferrari and thought, I should ask them for car advice.

Lotus Emira is a spectacular looking car. V6 starts at over $96,000, plus probably about a $30,000 additional market adjustment from the dealer. . Relatively slow 0-62 of 4.5 seconds for the fastest models, even slower for the others. Weighs more than a +600 hp Viper. Will be a huge waiting list as production is low. Initial cars will have traditional Lotus issues and shop time.
Dream car to buy, Nightmare to own.

Best performance vehicles now are typically oldies but goodies.

Reactions: alvitdk
Expalin low maintenance on a track vehicle. Just tires alone would be an issue for track use.

I don't consider tires as maintenance items, they are consumables. Rear tires every 3-4 events. Fronts last twice as long.

In my GT3 I change the brake fluid and oils after every weekend event (2-3 days). Trans and diff once a year. Alignment after each event.

Other track cars I've owned had tons of problems and required a lot more maintenance.

Lotus Emira is a spectacular looking car. V6 starts at over $96,000, plus probably about a $30,000 additional market adjustment from the dealer. . Relatively slow 0-62 of 4.5 seconds for the fastest models, even slower for the others. Weighs more than a +600 hp Viper. Will be a huge waiting list as production is low. Initial cars will have traditional Lotus issues and shop time.
Dream car to buy, Nightmare to own.

Best performance vehicles now are typically oldies but goodies.
actually they weigh less than a Viper at @3200 lbs and not really built for 0-60 times...also now comes with a very reliable Toyota power plant.

No ADM according to my local dealer, just a two year wait list with a $3000 deposit as of today...
said price will actually come down after the "first edition" run is over....trying to figure out how to sneak $3k from our savings account from the boss lady as we speak 🤪

Me. Well I actually never got out of sports cars, I just added a Model 3. Very different driving experiences but I love them both. One thing to be aware of, an out of warranty Tesla can be every bit as expensive to repair as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

73A800BC-0645-4E41-B094-8A140650DEDD.jpeg

I did not miss that. What your wife purchases, you purchase as well, at least in most states. I don't tell my wife what car to buy, but I do try to give her info to make good decisions and find something that will be reliable for her. Range Rover certainly has a reputation. In case you're wondering, if you search "is Range Rover reliable," you will see the below quote.

"Land Rover Range Rover is the most unreliable used car. According to the latest figures released by Warrantywise's annual Reliability Index,"

Not just one of the must unreliable, the most unreliable. Edmonds true cost to own projection for 5 years on a 2022 Range Rover Sport at over $161K with $80K of depreciation. Over $11K of expected macitence and repairs in the first five years. That is while it is mostly still under warrantee.

As for Ferrari, if you want me to be honest, I have always viewed the brand mostly as rich people pretending to be car people. Maybe that is just how I was introduced to them though. A few things to consider that most Ferrari fans are unaware of. Enzo Ferrari's desire to win came at the cost of his drivers lives. Many people attribute some of his driver's deaths to Enzo's disregard for his drivers lives and consistent choice of speed over everything including safety. Some in the industry at the time refused to work with Ferrari over this. Enzo Ferrari was also a known misogynistic and if he knew a red car was being ordered for a woman, he would have it changed to yellow because he did not believe women were worthy of a red Ferrari. He was also elitist and looked down on Americans. Enzo even forbid his son from spending time with Americans, who Enzo viewed as beneath him. These among other things further soured my opinion of Ferrari. Are there some legit car people who have Ferraris? Sure. However, I have never seen someone in a Ferrari and thought, I should ask them for car advice.

Lol, well not the direction I expected this thread to take but so be it. Yeah the Range Rover is mine as well, we're married after all. It isn't the car I'd choose for myself (clearly, since I'm driving a Tesla) but it's the car my wife wanted - so that's the car we purchased. She didn't have an issue with me buying a 911, Tesla, etc - so why would I try to make her drive a car she doesn't love?

Regarding reliability. Meh. I hear people whine about reliability and cost of maintenance when it comes to any premium brand. I can't tell you how many times I've heard BMWs are just too expensive to maintain and unreliable. I drove a used BMW for over 4.5 years, had zero issues, and the total cost including maintenance and tires and depreciation was about $6,000. So a little over $100/month. I've found 99 times out of 100 the people spouting this claims don't have any personal experience and just parroting what they've heard. We've had the Range Rover (purchased used for a substantial discount off MSRP) for almost 3 years and it had a bad 02 sensor (replaced under warranty + Land Rover is replacing them regardless of warranty status because it is a known issue) and a bad battery (coincidently I had the 12v battery in my Tesla fail as well). So my personal experience thus far has been the car is no less reliable than any other I've owned. Until that turns out to not be the case, I'm not going to lose any sleep at night.

Enzo Ferrari has been dead for more than 3 decades - and hasn't been president of the company for like half a century. I never met him and certainly won't make purchase decisions based on what he did or didn't do. I mean, I loved my Porsche 911 and the founder of that company worked directly with Hitler. I'd say that is a bit worse than thinking women should drive yellow cars. I totally get the poser aspect you mentioned - the brand has massive recognition and is associated with wealthy, luxury, etc. But, as a car guy, I know it is also associated with racing heritage, and a fanatical attention to detail and performance. Some people buy them because they want to be seen in them, others buy them because they want to drive one. I'm more the latter. To me they're rolling works of art that you can drive - I love the way the look and sound. I've never driven one but I intend to, when I buy one eventually.

Well - I did the math for those of you curious as to sports car ownership . . . .

My 911 cost me $0.86 per mile to own. And $2621 a year for 7 and one half years. The cost per year is actually less than some Japanese import sedans.

I included depreciation [purchase vs sales costs - only $1000 so that helped alot] sales tax, registration and personal property tax, [both of which were confiscatory when I lived in Calfornia] repairs, insurance, maintenance and consumables meaning fuel, etc. I skated at the end because when I sold my 911 it needed or would shortly need tires [time out if nothing else], shocks, AWD system scheduled maintenance, cooling flush and fill at 100k, a couple of minor repairs to sensors, and probably a starter and perhaps a bendix. Battery was 5 years old in 2023. If I was to keep it I'd spend the $400 for a second key. All told I prob did not spend $8000 on the repair and maintenance items. But it was coming and I knew it.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Get it while you can. I've heard that even Lotus will be going electric or hybrid on all their future cars, along with just about everyone else. :(
Indeed, the Emira is Lotus' last IC driven sportscar before switching everything to EV. I have test driven the Porsche Taycan, it drives just like you would expect from a Porsche, but as a sportscar, the 4 doors do not make my list, and the charging network is just too limited at this point.

Enzo Ferrari has been dead for more than 3 decades - and hasn't been president of the company for like half a century. I never met him and certainly won't make purchase decisions based on what he did or didn't do. I mean, I loved my Porsche 911 and the founder of that company worked directly with Hitler. I'd say that is a bit worse than thinking women should drive yellow cars. I totally get the poser aspect you mentioned - the brand has massive recognition and is associated with wealthy, luxury, etc. But, as a car guy, I know it is also associated with racing heritage, and a fanatical attention to detail and performance. Some people buy them because they want to be seen in them, others buy them because they want to drive one. I'm more the latter. To me they're rolling works of art that you can drive - I love the way the look and sound. I've never driven one but I intend to, when I buy one eventually.
There’s no wrong choice of an exotic car. They are all great in their own way. Don’t let the nay sayers get in your head.

They all have their personality and pitfalls.
It’s an emotional purchases that you spend money on for a brief moment of joy when using it/looking at it in the garage etc.

I’ve been pissing away my $ on them for a while now. And they still check boxes that the Tesla doesn’t. Model 3 perf is a great daily but not a replacement.

Last edited:
Lol, well not the direction I expected this thread to take but so be it. Yeah the Range Rover is mine as well, we're married after all. It isn't the car I'd choose for myself (clearly, since I'm driving a Tesla) but it's the car my wife wanted - so that's the car we purchased. She didn't have an issue with me buying a 911, Tesla, etc - so why would I try to make her drive a car she doesn't love?

Regarding reliability. Meh. I hear people whine about reliability and cost of maintenance when it comes to any premium brand. I can't tell you how many times I've heard BMWs are just too expensive to maintain and unreliable. I drove a used BMW for over 4.5 years, had zero issues, and the total cost including maintenance and tires and depreciation was about $6,000. So a little over $100/month. I've found 99 times out of 100 the people spouting this claims don't have any personal experience and just parroting what they've heard. We've had the Range Rover (purchased used for a substantial discount off MSRP) for almost 3 years and it had a bad 02 sensor (replaced under warranty + Land Rover is replacing them regardless of warranty status because it is a known issue) and a bad battery (coincidently I had the 12v battery in my Tesla fail as well). So my personal experience thus far has been the car is no less reliable than any other I've owned. Until that turns out to not be the case, I'm not going to lose any sleep at night.

And, if we want to talk about CEOs. I think we'd all be hard pressed to find any that are all around great people with consumers at the forefront of their CEO brains.

Tesla makes a great daily. Even the non-performance variants are very quick. But, at the end of the day it's not a sports car. I'll take a track day in the Miata over any Tesla, every single time.
Yes, a Model 3 is not a sports car, and there are a number of sports cars out there that I think are more fun to drive than an M3P. What the Model 3 Performance is, is an outstanding sports sedan, probably the best made today. Personally, I'll take an M3P over an BMW M3, an RS5, or an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, which are the next best sports sedans. M5s and RS6s perform outstandingly well, but they're so big and heavy that they lose the sporty feel of a smaller, lighter car. And, it certainly doesn't hurt that the Tesla costs tens of thousands of dollars less than any of those others.

Of the American cars other than Tesla, the Chevy Camaro is a pretty fun drive with a well sorted chassis, good steering, and plenty of power, but it's not a sedan and has minuscule back seats. Also, I really don't like the looking out of a mailbox slot feeling that it has with the very high dash and low roofline. The V6 Camaro is the best handling variant, but while it has decent power, it's nothing like the Tesla. The V8s have good power although it can be difficult to get it to the ground and they're a little nose heavy which hurts the handling. I think an M3P is more fun than either version.

Yes, a Model 3 is not a sports car, and there are a number of sports cars out there that I think are more fun to drive than an M3P. What the Model 3 Performance is, is an outstanding sports sedan, probably the best made today. Personally, I'll take an M3P over an BMW M3, an RS5, or an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, which are the next best sports sedans. M5s and RS6s perform outstandingly well, but they're so big and heavy that they lose the sporty feel of a smaller, lighter car. And, it certainly doesn't hurt that the Tesla costs tens of thousands of dollars less than any of those others.

Of the American cars other than Tesla, the Chevy Camaro is a pretty fun drive with a well sorted chassis, good steering, and plenty of power, but it's not a sedan and has minuscule back seats. Also, I really don't like the looking out of a mailbox slot feeling that it has with the very high dash and low roofline. The V6 Camaro is the best handling variant, but while it has decent power, it's nothing like the Tesla. The V8s have good power although it can be difficult to get it to the ground and they're a little nose heavy which hurts the handling. I think an M3P is more fun than either version.
What @GregD60 said, word for word. 👍

As much as I do like the acceleration of the model 3 (and dare I say have got used to/think it's slow:eek:), I wish they'd do a porsche equivalent. I'd like a taycan, but I'd have to go turbo (stupid name) to match the acceleration. The model 3 handles like a a bus even compared to my old e92 M3, Tesla have got alot to learn about handling and feedback imo.

FWIW, @enemji video of the 911 vs. M3P is in the 'S' Carrera - if that was AWD or a non-S 911 [or a Cabrio with the higher weight] the M3P would win every one of those tests. Most of the cars sold are the Non-S 911's - I owned a Cabrio Base 911 AWD - it handled fantastically - but it could not keep up with the non-flexible top versions - mine was the slowest 911 that year - with slow being relative!

Reactions: enemji