Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I do like the acceleration of the model 3 (and dare I say have got used to/think it's slow:eek:), I wish they'd do a porsche equivalent. I'd like a taycan, but I'd have to go turbo (stupid name) to match the acceleration. The model 3 handles like a a bus even compared to my old e92 M3, Tesla have got alot to learn about handling and feedback imo.

The next Cayman/Boxter will be full EV...will be interesting to see what they do with that platform for sure,,,
I would hardly say the Model 3 Performance handles like a bus....many people track these and their lap times would dispute that.

Here it beat an BMW M3 in just about every category in this video from Top Gear....lap time, 0-60, 1/4 mile. etc..

Reactions: tm1v2
As much as I do like the acceleration of the model 3 (and dare I say have got used to/think it's slow:eek:), I wish they'd do a porsche equivalent. I'd like a taycan, but I'd have to go turbo (stupid name) to match the acceleration. The model 3 handles like a a bus even compared to my old e92 M3, Tesla have got alot to learn about handling and feedback imo.
handles like a bus? We must be driving two separate cars - now - the Model S handles like a bus.

handles like a bus? We must be driving two separate cars - now - the Model S handles like a bus.
Its a relative measurement, compared to my previous cars it's very soft. Interesting if they do a boxster/cayman ev, wonder what would happen to the 911 as imo through taycan is the ev version. I just wish they'd done as polestar have and give the performance better suspension as standard. Don't get me wrong, I giggle like a child when I put my foot down, but you can wheel the weight shift back and it does cause quite a bit of understeer at roundabouts. It's not a bad effort overall, oh and bucket seats, my wife's fiesta st hold me in place, but the model 3 you do slide a bit going round corners. Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so we do actually take corners at speed and don't have give way signs at them 😁 .

Last edited:
Its a relative measurement, compared to my previous cars it's very soft. Interesting if they do a boxster/cayman ev, wonder what would happen to the 911 as imo through taycan is the ev version.
Stock M3P / Model 3 suspension is very soft for a "performance" car, at least for 2021+. Upgrade the dampers and springs (especially the dampers!) to bring out the car's handling.

Stock vs stock an E9x M3 is much better sorted, heck just about any E9x is, but once a proper performance suspension is installed on the M3P, I think it handles and feels better around the turns than any BMW M car or Audi RS car I've ever driven. Something about the low, low center of gravity and well-centered weight distribution. A good sports car feels even better for sure, but not any ICE sedan I've ever driven.

Stock M3P / Model 3 suspension is very soft for a "performance" car, at least for 2021+. Upgrade the dampers and springs (especially the dampers!) to bring out the car's handling.

Stock vs stock an E9x M3 is much better sorted, heck just about any E9x is, but once a proper performance suspension is installed on the M3P, I think it handles and feels better around the turns than any BMW M car or Audi RS car I've ever driven. Something about the low, low center of gravity and well-centered weight distribution. A good sports car feels even better for sure, but not any ICE sedan I've ever driven.
Yep, and then there's track mode; some of the competition has some aspects of track mode but I don't think any of them are as flexible.

hello, first post here....
anyway a few weeks ago I started sniffing around the used market due to the great prices and test drove a Model 3 DM AWD and fell in love with that instant torque and go kart like feel ....then about a week later Tesla announced the price cuts.

So now, I'm contemplating selling my 718 Cayman and getting a new Model 3 Performance.....some say go for it, some say I'm crazy🤪

I have a beautiful GBM 718 with manual transmission and a BMW 4 series that I could consolidate with a M3P...I also have a Rubicon, and a wife who works from home since covid, so the three cars is overkill these days...I'm likely to take a bit of a hit on the 718 just in the sales tax I paid, but should get back close to what I paid for it and with the price cuts and tax credit, it still worth it.

Anybody else ditch a sports car for a M3??? Any regrets or are you still very happy with your choice?

IMG-7773.jpg

thanks for any feedback
I would not get rid of the porche. Porche are special cars. DM me if you want the real scoop from a 100k owner. But as with anything newness always fades.

Yep, and then there's track mode; some of the competition has some aspects of track mode but I don't think any of them are as flexible.
@GregD60 Closest I've experience to Track Mode's "Handling Bias" slider is the Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) in a Subaru WRX STI. In addition to the automatic modes for less/medium/more lockup, it had a manual mode where you could set exact lockup percentage, from 0% to 100%.

Of course ICE AWD center diff lockup is not the same thing as what Handling Bias does with dual electric motors, but on dry pavement the DCCD lockup had a fairly similar effect with adjusting power-on understeer or oversteer.

Subaru sedans are front heavy tho and they handle very differently from M3P or any Tesla I've driven.

@GregD60 Closest I've experience to Track Mode's "Handling Bias" slider is the Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) in a Subaru WRX STI. In addition to the automatic modes for less/medium/more lockup, it had a manual mode where you could set exact lockup percentage, from 0% to 100%.

Of course ICE AWD center diff lockup is not the same thing as what Handling Bias does with dual electric motors, but on dry pavement the DCCD lockup had a fairly similar effect with adjusting power-on understeer or oversteer.

Subaru sedans are front heavy tho and they handle very differently from M3P or any Tesla I've driven.
In addition to the Handling Balance, you can set the amount of Stability Assistance and the level of Regen Braking. I've only had a chance to play with these settings once on a friend's car. I'm looking forward to having them on my own M3P, which is scheduled for delivery in a couple of weeks. I really liked the M3 LR AWD I had before, but I was always frustrated by how much, and when, the traction control kicked in. Now, I will be able to control it.

@comanchepilot Hey now. The Model S feels like a bus compared to a well-setup sports sedan, but they can actually rotate around a turn really well, especially the older RWD ones (lighter frontend, and also smaller/lighter battery). Model S is big and numb, but it still has that great Tesla weight distribution and low CG. You have to mentally get past the huge numbness and just trust in the physics involved. 😁

If when driving a RWD Model S you find yourself stuck behind a slow vehicle for a while, that skips the passing pullouts, it is possible - *ahem* so I'm told, *cough* friend of a friend 😉 - to pass on the outside of your favorite wide hairpin (with good visibility!) by rotating clean around it and rocketing out with the tail wagging. Just sayin', I heard it can be done.

Also, on an unrelated note (*wink*), I can attest that Model S traction control gives more leeway than a Model 3 outside of Track Mode.

But yes the Model S is too numb and too big to feel like sports sedan, no doubt about that. When I need to drive a Model S on a twisty road, it's totally fine, it gets the job done well, but I'd never do it just for the fun of it. Whereas I'll absolutely tear up a twisty road with the M3P for the sheer fun of it.

uuugghhh...haven't had a ticket in 7 years through multiple sports cars......got one last night after less than 4 days with the M3P

Said I was doing 62 in a 45, but only wrote me for a 50 in a 45 and gave me a "break" 😳
I actually find it more difficult to maintain a constant speed in the Tesla because you don't have the feedback of the engine where the sound pretty much tells you how fast you're going. My instinctive comfortable speed is almost always much higher than the speed limit. Traffic aware cruise control is your friend for places with speed limits; one click down on the right hand stalk and chill. :cool:

I actually find it more difficult to maintain a constant speed in the Tesla because you don't have the feedback of the engine where the sound pretty much tells you how fast you're going. My instinctive comfortable speed is almost always much higher than the speed limit. Traffic aware cruise control is your friend for places with speed limits; one click down on the right hand stalk and chill. :cool:
I find that too. I guess in a petrol/ diesel car there's always a slight delay before acceleration kicks in, but in evs there's no delay. I think whatever angle your foot is at (at whatever speed) likely moves up and down a little bit (without you thinking about it) and its just more noticeable. I reckon a software tweak would stabilise it but might end up being a double edged sword.

I came out of a WRX into my M3P and I feel the handling characteristics to be pretty similar in normal settings (understeers like a pig at the limit). I haven't fooled around with track mode much yet, I am interested in messing around with it when the weather gets better.
@awdpilot If you have the right tires for the weather, I'm sure Track Mode would be fun to mess around with in winter too, just like a WRX without nannies. :)

I had Shelby cobra jet 2017 miss the ride but not the gasoline it could use. Now I just love my Model 3 dual motor plenty fast for me and very cheap to operate and maintain. Paid cash for it after I sold my gas guzzler done look back at all. Plus was amble to pick up some Tesla stock too

Reactions: c00sebookpro