Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello, first post here....
anyway a few weeks ago I started sniffing around the used market due to the great prices and test drove a Model 3 DM AWD and fell in love with that instant torque and go kart like feel ....then about a week later Tesla announced the price cuts.

So now, I'm contemplating selling my 718 Cayman and getting a new Model 3 Performance.....some say go for it, some say I'm crazy🤪

I have a beautiful GBM 718 with manual transmission and a BMW 4 series that I could consolidate with a M3P...I also have a Rubicon, and a wife who works from home since covid, so the three cars is overkill these days...I'm likely to take a bit of a hit on the 718 just in the sales tax I paid, but should get back close to what I paid for it and with the price cuts and tax credit, it still worth it.

Anybody else ditch a sports car for a M3??? Any regrets or are you still very happy with your choice?

IMG-7773.jpg

thanks for any feedback

I owned a 2008 Corvette 3LT. I sold it because I was having my first child and I couldn't get out of 2nd gear without jail time. There just wasn't enough road to use it without taking it to the track. I bought a 2013 Subaru WRX hatchback as a compromise after selling the Corvette. I have a M3LR now and I love it! I do miss driving a manual and I do miss the noise, but I wouldn't want that everyday. It also helps I've only spent $100 in maintenance for 21K mile and don't even get me started on gas savings. If I had it to do over I would have bought the M3P over the M3LR. I was worried about range when I purchased, but now I know how easy the charging experience and no longer have range anxiety.

I never miss the Corvette but if I bought a toy right now it'd be a Cayman or a Lotus Emira. However, I'm probably better off renting off of Turo for the two times a year I'd drive a sports car.

hello, first post here....
anyway a few weeks ago I started sniffing around the used market due to the great prices and test drove a Model 3 DM AWD and fell in love with that instant torque and go kart like feel ....then about a week later Tesla announced the price cuts.

So now, I'm contemplating selling my 718 Cayman and getting a new Model 3 Performance.....some say go for it, some say I'm crazy🤪

I have a beautiful GBM 718 with manual transmission and a BMW 4 series that I could consolidate with a M3P...I also have a Rubicon, and a wife who works from home since covid, so the three cars is overkill these days...I'm likely to take a bit of a hit on the 718 just in the sales tax I paid, but should get back close to what I paid for it and with the price cuts and tax credit, it still worth it.

Anybody else ditch a sports car for a M3??? Any regrets or are you still very happy with your choice?

thanks for any feedback

Tesla makes a great daily. Even the non-performance variants are very quick. But, at the end of the day it's not a sports car. I'll take a track day in the Miata over any Tesla, every single time.

sY5m0GvugloOdrjkLbdO5Z5fj-1eC2gF349pYZ2_DfaHa29baUPRcTZqbBSK7hG5u-bz2RCOX7rMAVzH1qqh2Kf9Ki4AH7sP7nui3cnmDstCHLkKAON6HVOGftMAkn7vK--ZKooW3V9-cZSCJvNSvzo8tq77ZOh5vbBqQb-Jp73BpMb54EyabVigMUGqqsSkavUTkH5OFPTy5tNryEb5gwqcovW5w2Kce_MKnXM-IKNiAFYXNjgU7gXDPbt_3PbuDIdj4oKJTeAHyTRQh9Y0Q_CuJUQGsR7PGVddYnXuWttC-OmBU5VDBpgurDEYl6Yip3agN1lMMWmITZEkgifrI3_9_-yr6PIpSE1cYAsKmus4_wS5ZFGJiZe6dB9Jrg7E8GmBd-OISLTcA5jGTM4MwHnZDlN3DOghtTCZpkNMZMAjzYvLnXqI4D8afuTxuIp6Wr7BusErA8rpx1AmlrJ5_QP_03fy4Z7NyScBECrBpJklMs-gauSdwhXw__Yic-K2xseXPNtJZMNETzHgQgvIBVFOUkMrRaT8jwVNpZ_h9zgGJW1U7K3Du-twzojZarnn0df3szB3vecydIoHhLJNZFrj8OqNVswhZh0gWZ8-FDq84FYvwIi-XBWwxQ0Ilx6JWx0QAzp7QLJB9FFd0mZGULTpvxl3Tx2Ej86CqtnsUx1kX7mrX_CbGzazJvT6DCgJ90lCMY9HijndMsE6C1ulFnHqdoxncTswwTSKmgvy4SE4mjjo5BoezHBmwfCIFjcggxcy8Jo8I6_NZZZi-tEwEFlxWadHSPBhYqsymf-OBn8Si9kyrvYQxAXGGot00TYaaIfL3XVZcDyl614erkgqnDg0MaHv4uzQocyeOJx-dNPpne8E0fmO7uwEFKKK3Wu57gZIdl-CsaotmXftUAC4uL0dysM9dunY8H-jjxMw870Qug=w2656-h1992-no

-fPgBlgot-qj8ZYnMQjOUg5gLV0HykxVYW9RT1aMVMhcuFVm9zd-KFJLR99dSNuvkJYUZQRbkLS_9unKvL6RP466t_KOTTzcwk07D2H6739Qd8TRV3POtCIHXVB9CGgjmAnezjgBaoDRmALbPSji2ccjHeSMUDyaWJkcf1z8AwlLNi2OZgLi9NBMi_jYG6u9-BrY2DR2xlVPpuezeIieu7WPinvLHgO8sMuUoSxwfA2jlkxq2k9WfYHMYobpYGEdAsYl7w9Vk4pIDdn48Ww2ol5LzwirK523NIbsnhYJZc7pQTofxcKZbXsCUmOPlpdLRigX8JEV4qHJb8y5OrwHtyL2aFhhKmpNhKeHRcS37NRbWOb3dA151vSnkrqgjp-w5BYsojZjkjcSZzVYdHIqV4Hk43WJLUFb6npv4lK3sPhp0G1s7lkWJ7t5leu8eI6UEYejAi5RGsKtnuzcN7zNtBocGYCa-Y3zWdKmgKtgQ7b4T1BVDwvQEZuFfzIIFqupbeBLCfeF0LbgAqVAhmrqcV2HeR3wdMI2p474GbPw_B8HAi7-t9q_rybkhNr9TmnIwKt7VVLTYLlordPhdaZm1PBdvDcvqW-_YtObEBFqDYgmoI9s5m1pJczlo0LaHaV_Xxlb7dqPnjHniCfyLdrA9963IC8zGZQLmP47fOcmb8rXCCUzdVOL-1EvYsBVga2J28FNmv9P4PFstyabKYyeYb3sls2MjDRTGZXoXaJ0xlOspal6haQ1icU50567tGD8LzkzTja9XzS8jGZ21KzgsDqSyVZNKGYOCuO24qmj9MfYweCFr8j_tvECze7eBVs2lgvulDesdqMf6ec9aGfxSd_K9hvPteibB3o-DeCP4NDeSGuRfc3pxjJcCk6Lke8f0mPzJ2CC1UjlbuW4E_bP_yqms1kJqdFqcv8Iy-XvOCMBFg=w2656-h1992-no

Well I have M3P 2020, BMW Series 1M, and Cayman GTS and they are all so different is apples and oranges time! I don't know what a GBM is?! All I do know is that if your Cayman is a manual, you will miss that and the fact that is so agile and makes fun noises. Still the Tesla M3P is an incredible performance bargain: Lamborghini performance (with 4 seats), at least with MPP chassis mods, for peanuts. With MPP shocks and chassis bits, it is VERY sharp handler, but you still feel the weight...Complaints about steering feel I think are BS; none of the modern electric power steerers are that good (my 1M much better than any I've tried, including the F word) and the Tesla is quite precise once you tighten up the suspension.

Reactions: XPsionic
Well I have M3P 2020, BMW Series 1M, and Cayman GTS and they are all so different is apples and oranges time! I don't know what a GBM is?! All I do know is that if your Cayman is a manual, you will miss that and the fact that is so agile and makes fun noises. Still the Tesla M3P is an incredible performance bargain: Lamborghini performance (with 4 seats), at least with MPP chassis mods, for peanuts. With MPP shocks and chassis bits, it is VERY sharp handler, but you still feel the weight...Complaints about steering feel I think are BS; none of the modern electric power steerers are that good (my 1M much better than any I've tried, including the F word) and the Tesla is quite precise once you tighten up the suspension.
yeah, I've decided to ditch the new M3P idea because I just can't justify giving up the 718 with the manual transmission for it
There are currently only THREE for sale in a 500 mile radius from me and I am in the car capitol of the world... there are currently over 100 used M3P's in that same radius for sale...so I'm probably going to just try and sell my 4 series and hunt down a deal on a nice used LR or P
as my new daily and keep the Porsche...

GBM is the color Graphite Blue Metallic, which only ran for two years and is now a $12,000 PTS option

really cool color that goes from like a light blue to like a dark Nardo Grey depending on environment or where the sun is

img_7539_04992674d17da0fcf7102a83541cb12cc9c16271.jpg

IMG-1413-Edited.jpg

1M is such a great car! I would love to own one at some point.

I got rid of my BMW Z4 M Coupe a couple of years ago, thinking I didn’t really need a sports car.
Living near the Swiss Alps. In the middle of summer.
What a brilliant idea!
So brilliant in fact, that not a month later I purchased an Alfa Romeo 4C.
I love it, it’s a work of art and it makes me happy by just staring at it. The way the light reflects on those curves, the depth of the tri-coat paint...
But, while the dry DCT on the 4C feels like what I imagine operating a shotgun while riding a wild horse flat out would feel, (I’ll admit it’s quite addictive), a manual gearbox adds yet another layer of interaction and control to the driving experience. I surprised myself looking at the GR Yaris lately...You do the right thing by keeping that Porsche.

yeah, I've decided to ditch the new M3P idea because I just can't justify giving up the 718 with the manual transmission for it
There are currently only THREE for sale in a 500 mile radius from me and I am in the car capitol of the world... there are currently over 100 used M3P's in that same radius for sale...so I'm probably going to just try and sell my 4 series and hunt down a deal on a nice used LR or P
as my new daily and keep the Porsche...

GBM is the color Graphite Blue Metallic, which only ran for two years and is now a $12,000 PTS option

really cool color that goes from like a light blue to like a dark Nardo Grey depending on environment or where the sun is

img_7539_04992674d17da0fcf7102a83541cb12cc9c16271.jpg

IMG-1413-Edited.jpg

If your budget allows it and since you are thinking of selling your BMW 4 Series, instead of buying a used Tesla, I would still just order a new M3P and wait for delivery. At this price-point, the M3P is a steal in my opinion.

Reactions: chalper
I was forced to sell my 2021 C8 Corvette by the current regime as I panicked when gas was going up .10/week. I really enjoy my M3P. It's fast as hell, but it's not a Corvette. The M3P is very relaxing to drive. Today we took about 120 mile round trip down to Everglade City and the car practically drove itself the whole way. It's nice to just chill and drive and if you want to pass someone, it will snap your neck at 50 MPH when you slam the gas!

I was forced to sell my 2021 C8 Corvette by the current regime as I panicked when gas was going up .10/week. I really enjoy my M3P. It's fast as hell, but it's not a Corvette. The M3P is very relaxing to drive. Today we took about 120 mile round trip down to Everglade City and the car practically drove itself the whole way. It's nice to just chill and drive and if you want to pass someone, it will snap your neck at 50 MPH when you slam the gas!
I dont really get this logic. I mean gas is still pretty cheap in the usa. and if you have the money to buy a corvette then surely you have the money to pay for gas?

Like people complain about driving american cars in europe due to them chugging petrol - but i.e. a challenger scatpack is also a lot cheaper than i.e. a bmw 440i. You could literally put the money in a dividend stock and then you never have to pay for fuel again.

Reactions: XPsionic
The P car must stay. Ditch the Bimmer. The M3 will be it's replacement. You need a car to just let loose in and have fun with.
I am in the same boat. Have a M3P I purchased in February along with a Tacoma. My BMW Z3 was the occasional driver that wasn't getting the love it deserved. Then I bought a 2002 996 turbo and the BMW must go. Need Garage space waiting on the final restoration of a 67 Mustang convertible

027.JPG

dry DCT on the 4C
@cappo3 TiL the 4C wasn't offered with a manual. 🤯 That was my dream attainable/affordable(-ish) raw sports car. So beautiful, so pure, small and light and CF frame and just everything it should be and nothing it shouldn't.

But I don't get along with automatics. Not even dual clutch ones. They dance to a different beat than my right foot. I'm not sure about my 4C dream anymore. 😥