Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a sports car to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
luckily I kept the 718, but I haven't driven her since getting the M3P ☺️
IMG_0024.JPG

Reactions: T4M3
Its a relative measurement, compared to my previous cars it's very soft. Interesting if they do a boxster/cayman ev, wonder what would happen to the 911 Panamara as imo through taycan is the ev version. I just wish they'd done as polestar have and give the performance better suspension as standard. Don't get me wrong, I giggle like a child when I put my foot down, but you can wheel the weight shift back and it does cause quite a bit of understeer at roundabouts. It's not a bad effort overall, oh and bucket seats, my wife's fiesta st hold me in place, but the model 3 you do slide a bit going round corners. Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so we do actually take corners at speed and don't have give way signs at them 😁 .
There, fixed it for you ;)

As much as I do like the acceleration of the model 3 (and dare I say have got used to/think it's slow:eek:), I wish they'd do a porsche equivalent. I'd like a taycan, but I'd have to go turbo (stupid name) to match the acceleration. The model 3 handles like a a bus even compared to my old e92 M3, Tesla have got alot to learn about handling and feedback imo.
Now that is a joke or you have no idea of how to drive a car.

My cars are sports/muscle cars and I'm looking for a Tesla daily, either another MYP or a M3P. I thought I found the perfect MYP, which appears to be a mess.

I would not sell my cars for a Tesla, since I'm old school and love manual transmissions. It gets old in rush hour traffic though, hence Tesla. It's in addition. I'm car obsessed.

(Corvette, Porsche, WRX, Challenger plus classic muscle/sports)

Which bit? They're all valid points. Do you think the model 3 handles well/ has good feedback compared to an M3 or 911?

I have had both BMW and Porsche's and would say my M3P is an amazing car and it handles pretty damn good...saying it handles like a bus is laughable when it has shown to have better lap times than the BMW F80 M3 and beat it in just about every category when it went head to head with one in this Top Gear video.

Reactions: enemji
Which bit? They're all valid points. Do you think the model 3 handles well/ has good feedback compared to an M3 or 911?
Ah now I get your point. Yes, the Model3 does require quite a bit of adjustment of the seating position to find the balance that feels natural as well as the power steering feedback is not like an old school 911 or 3 series. But once you find it, it is beautiful. It is different but yet beautiful. That being said, even the newer BMWs have lost that touch in their pursuit of Lexus sales. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: tm1v2
Ah now I get your point. Yes, the Model3 does require quite a bit of adjustment of the seating position to find the balance that feels natural as well as the power steering feedback is not like an old school 911 or 3 series. But once you find it, it is beautiful. It is different but yet beautiful. That being said, even the newer BMWs have lost that touch in their pursuit of Lexus sales. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Do you have the steering in the Model 3 set to comfort, standard, or sport. In sport, I think the feedback is about the same as an e36 or an e46 M3 or an e46 330i ZHP. They're all pretty good, but I think older 911s and Boxsters with hydraulic power steering are a little bit better, and any car with non-power steering has better feel. I think that the Model 3 has the best steering feel of any car I've driven with electric power steering, and that includes new 911s and Boxsters, which are roughly comparable.

Reactions: tm1v2 and enemji
Do you have the steering in the Model 3 set to comfort, standard, or sport. In sport, I think the feedback is about the same as an e36 or an e46 M3 or an e46 330i ZHP. They're all pretty good, but I think older 911s and Boxsters with hydraulic power steering are a little bit better, and any car with non-power steering has better feel. I think that the Model 3 has the best steering feel of any car I've driven with electric power steering, and that includes new 911s and Boxsters, which are roughly comparable.
I have tried all modes and it is nowhere close to as heavy as my e46 330ci ZHP that I still have with me 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Informative
I have tried all modes and it is nowhere close to my e46 330ci ZHP that I still have with me 🤷🏽‍♂️
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I kept my 2003 330i ZHP for about 6 months after buying my Model 3 LR AWD, and found the steering feel and feedback to be roughly comparable between the two cars driving them back to back. Both feel rather disconnected compared to my Lotus Elise with a manual steering rack.

Reactions: tm1v2 and enemji
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I kept my 2003 330i ZHP for about 6 months after buying my Model 3 LR AWD, and found the steering feel and feedback to be roughly comparable between the two cars driving them back to back. Both feel rather disconnected compared to my Lotus Elise with a manual steering rack.
Glad to hear you are another ZHP owner. Sad to hear you no longer have it. Just a tidbit - I still take mine to get the oil change done at the BMW dealership and truth be told, it makes an impression on everyone in the service lane as it drives up with its beautiful “Chris Craft” styling and burbly exhaust.

My first car was a Morris Minor derivation with No power steering. That was just the bomb.

Glad to hear you are another ZHP owner. Sad to hear you no longer have it. Just a tidbit - I still take mine to get the oil change done at the BMW dealership and truth be told, it makes an impression on everyone in the service lane as it drives up with its beautiful “Chris Craft” styling and burbly exhaust.

My first car was a Morris Minor derivation with No power steering. That was just the bomb.
I loved the ZHP, but after getting the Tesla, we just weren't using it much. Paying insurance and registration on it didn't make sense while not using it, and I sold it near the top of the market about a year and a half ago. Plus, if I wanted to play, the Elise was always available. :)

I loved the ZHP, but after getting the Tesla, we just weren't using it much. Paying insurance and registration on it didn't make sense while not using it, and I sold it near the top of the market about a year and a half ago. Plus, if I wanted to play, the Elise was always available. :)
Just so that people know what we are talking about - This is the elusive BMW ZHP
73658C3B-BBEA-4CD6-B3F9-4F8EA80E5E7F.jpeg

Even on "sport" the steering is way too light imo. My last 2 cars had hydraulic so its quite a difference. I just feel there's less feedback from the car, as I can't feel what the tyres are doing as well as my previous cars. It also doesn't ride bumps very well, even though the suspension is quite soft (not sure if it's the rebound that affects that), but it just doesn't feel right. Yes it is very fast in a straight line (hence being faster round a track, but that proves little imo, is the S plaid faster rounder a track than a model 3?). Looking online it is but that would make it the better sports car using the logic on here.