TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anybody driven Grand Juntion to Farmington, and back?

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by Barry, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Active Member

Long stretch, but appears doable in my 85D per evtripplanner. Anybody travel this route and have some words of wisdom or warning?

2. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I've done a few times in my S85D in the summer. No problem. You can't go fast do to the roads and you're at high altitude so the wind drag is low. Do do a range charge.

3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

If you get worried, there's a public charging spot in Montrose (2 J plugs) for a quick topoff, or 20 minutes south of there is my house, with a 48A HPWC, which is listed on Plugshare. (Though we have to be home for you to be able to use it.)

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Hi Randy ;-)

And another 9.6 kW L2 spot at my home in Cortez, also on PlugShare.

• Like x 1
  5. Barry

Barry Active Member

Thanks guys.

6. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

In addition to the Montrose L2 station, which is reliable and almost never full — I've used it hundreds of times — there is public L2 charging in Durango, although I've never used it. Eventually the Ouray public charge station should reopen and one is coming in Ridgway.

Nevertheless, the southern half of the route uses less charge than the nav estimates and the northern half is pretty close if one stays at or below the speed limit IME. It should be fairly easy in an 85 in either direction unless one is heating or using AC.

• Like x 1