TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anybody else abusing right rear tire?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Chickenlittle, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

we love our model3. We have had roadster, model S and model X and by far the one everyone in family prefers to drive is model 3. The car turns so tightly that on taking a right turn I have scraped the right rear tire rim/aero hubcap on the curb. Ok call me a bad driver but have never in 40 years done this before and managed to do it twice. 3 other drivers in the family have done it once. Have had the car 5 months now and now that we are aware, no recurrences for the last 3 months. Will replace rim and hubcap now. Anyone else done this? At least we got it out of our system before our AWD version arrives

• Disagree x 1
  2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

i've never hit the curb doing turns. couple times in my life parallel parking though (not in Model 3).

3. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

When we test drove a Model 3 recently the Tesla rep pointed out the curb rash on the test car's right rear wheel. Same thing - a test driver was taking a right turn (in a parking lot) and caught the curb.

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

have had OP's experience

5. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Interesting - I did this immediately the day I picked up my Model S. :oops: I presumed it was due to the slightly longer wheelbase. (perhaps not!). I'm curious about the Model 3 as I have one on order too. Hard for me to imagine it turns tighter than OP's Roadster! o_O

6. MiPeGr

MiPeGr Member

Rented a 3 on Turo & managed to do this within 1000 ft of the pickup point, not too bad, but definitely felt it. But right rear was already totally rashed out...from previous drivers, presumably. Didn't do it again for the rest of the rental.

7. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

Still waiting on mine, but have a friend whose taken delivery of a RWD. He too has rim rash, but only on the Right-Rear wheel.

8. gilscales

gilscales Member

Did the exact same thing, had a driver tailgating me and I wanted to make a right turn in a driveway I have pulled into hundreds of times at our favorite restaurant, I speed up to get a gap and made a quick turn in the driveway to clip the curb with right rear, heard the metal on curb and cringed!
    Already touched this up with paint but uuuuggghhh!

Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Silver 21 19 Silver Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay

x17+wQnmQuSZsWwrXR4oYA.jpg

9. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Speaking with another owner, this definitely sounds like a common problem. I've hit mine twice this past weekend - I've got a touchup pen enroute to see if I can't fix the visibility of my curb rash.

His comment was that these rims poke out quite a bit more than the tire, whereas on a lot of cars the tire itself pokes out more and usually catches the curb first. Might be on to something.

10. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Just FYI - you may find a local mobile wheel rim repair expert who can repair the damage. I've done it twice and each time it cost $100 to render the damage invisible - not bad considering the cost of rims.

11. gilscales

gilscales Member

waiting to wear out the tires first then on to ps4's in 245/40/19's and hopefully gain just a hair or wheel protection with the wider tires and 3.9" vs.3.7" sidewall height, at that time I plan to have wheels repaired and powder coated a different color, dark grey metallic maybe? not sure yet?
    oops! just noticed you were quoting someone else, my bad!

12. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60->75 Vin 180XX. Model 3 Vin 074XX

My wife did it as well, I got a quote for $140 to repair it, but I just bought a whole new rim from Tesla for only $200 (18"). I made the rashy rim into a spare and mounted a $75 general tire to it in case I ever need it. I was really surprised the rim was only $200. Good deal!

13. hoang51

hoang51 Member

If there's a habit of rim curb rashes from many drivers, I would suggest looking into something like RimBlades' RimSavers and the like designs. This would potentially save your rims.

As for current damaged rim, get it repaired rather than replaced, usually less than $200. More cost effective for something this small. Not worth paying a premium to get a brand new rim. Unless you have free money laying around...