TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anybody else disappointed in the heat from the "new" performance heated seats?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by preilly44, Feb 10, 2015.

1. preilly44

preilly44 Member

We have a P85D with performance seats (Next Gen are on order). I can barely tell the heated seats are on (even when they are on the highest level). When I drive our $36k VW E-Golf the seats get so hot it almost burns my butt. Do I have defective seats in the Tesla or are they just that weak? I'm hoping the Next Gen seats will be much warmer.

Patrick

2. PlanB

PlanB Banned

OMG that's awful, you should sell it to me.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I believe the "performance" seats are very much like the "standard" seats in my car (if not, I'm sorry) and my seat heaters, like your Golf, work almost too well.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I know this is a silly question and is really obvious, but did you have it set right? The button has three settings, 1 being the lowest and 3 being the highest.

I have the performance seats and the seat heater burns my butt if I keep it set on 3.

5. linkster

linkster Member

but..but..I can do a local pick-up :biggrin::biggrin:

6. preilly44

preilly44 Member

Yes, I've had it set to the highest level (3) and it still barely warms up.

I'll have service check it out next time it is in. Thanks

7. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

I think this is due to the seat's thermal mass + Tesla's heating design. This past weekend my wife and I checked several S's ~ same VIN: we both felt the textile seats sitting outdoors at 30 degrees heated faster then leather seats in the indoor showroom at 70 degrees. I believe the next gen seats have an even larger thermal mass, hence longer to heat. Other manufacturers have overcome this with improved designs, as I'm sure Tesla eventually will. Our BMW leather seats at the highest heat setting become intolerable after about 5-10 minutes

8. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

I have the Next Gen seats in mine and have the same feelings. German cars really nail the heated seats. The next best I have had are in my 2004 Sierra pickup.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I had a 2001 GMC Envoy and loved those heated seats too. What I especially liked was that I could select the seat cushion and the seat back separately. The odd time when I had a sore back, it was nice to put some heat there, but not have to keep the seat cushion heated.

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

no offense to anyone, but.....
    With most heated seats, the weight of the occupant is usually what ends up affecting the heat transfer.
    I lost a bunch of weight and what was once much too toasty now barely registers.

11. BIGDJE

BIGDJE Member

I have the next gen seats and the heat sucks on the heated sucks

my 2014 P85+ with per seats got much much hotter then my 2015 P85D with next gen seats yes they suck and yes my $35K prius seats get much warmer

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

But what about Kia?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

13. BIGDJE

BIGDJE Member

never owed a kia just 4 prius still have my last one and it kills the tesla in heated seat showdown very sad for $135K car

14. majorlance

majorlance Member

Patrick,

I believe we share the same seats (december delivery, waiting on next gens). Mine get very warm... I find myself turning them down on a trip. Not so hot as I'd start to sweat (or almost, literally burn me like an old volvo used to do) but very warm. I'd talk to Rockville and have them take a look.

Off topic- Funny thing is, I like my current seats (december delivery) and may not take the next gen seats I ordered once available... My lower back sucks and I find the current ones comfortable for it. I was in the Rockville service center last week (center console install) and sat in the next gens in one of the loaner vehicles. They definitely had a tighter feel (more like my wife's BMW 3 series) and I think look more sporty. Just may not fit me as well as the current seats do. I'm going to drive one of their loaners with the next gens in march when my car is in for a minor fix.

Good luck!

Lee

15. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

Waiting for a cold day here in SoCal, its been in the hi 80's all week and may cool off my next Monday...then I'll try the seat heater.
    old geezer

16. BIGDJE

BIGDJE Member

was 88 today in Newport feel so bad for the east coast people with tons of snow and 10 degrees outside

oh nevermind I don't feel bad I grew up in east coast and so happy we have sunshine all year round who needs 4 season I take 1