Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else get the feeling we'll hear about more than the Model Y on the 14th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we're going to get an announcement about a refresh of the Model S and X along with the capacity to use V3 Superchargers at the Model Y reveal. Here's the thin evidence I'm stringing together to make this prediction:

- Last year, Electrek shared "leaked documents" about the updated interior of the Model X and S, tentatively planned for mid-2019

- Tesla recently reduced the price and options of the current models, something they've historically done when they wanted an uptick in sales before something new came along.

- Supercharger V3 is being unveiled today, seemingly only for use with the Model 3. Back when the 3 released, Elon said something along the lines of "the 3 will never be seen as an upgrade to the S or X". Introducing a new, faster charging standard that only the cheapest vehicle in the line-up can use looks to me like a major, exclusive upgrade

- Tesla did the same thing last year with the Semi reveal

- This is a little more shortsighted, but it may help distract from the negative publicity that's come with closing stores and slashing prices.

What does everyone else think?

I expect Nothing concrete about other products except vague “in two years”, “next year”, and “in the future”, or “soon”, but that’s just my guess.

I base it on my detailed understanding of nothing.

I think we're going to get an announcement about a refresh of the Model S and X

I wouldn't think Tesla wants to say that don't buy your Model S/X right now until the refresh coming soon.

While AP2 started in the production line, Tesla kept it secret and did not say hey! Don't buy your AP1 right now because we're starting installing AP2 shortly before the announcement in October 2016.

I think we're going to get an announcement about a refresh of the Model S and X along with the capacity to use V3 Superchargers at the Model Y reveal. Here's the thin evidence I'm stringing together to make this prediction:

- Last year, Electrek shared "leaked documents" about the updated interior of the Model X and S, tentatively planned for mid-2019

- Tesla recently reduced the price and options of the current models, something they've historically done when they wanted an uptick in sales before something new came along.

- Supercharger V3 is being unveiled today, seemingly only for use with the Model 3. Back when the 3 released, Elon said something along the lines of "the 3 will never be seen as an upgrade to the S or X". Introducing a new, faster charging standard that only the cheapest vehicle in the line-up can use looks to me like a major, exclusive upgrade

- Tesla did the same thing last year with the Semi reveal

- This is a little more shortsighted, but it may help distract from the negative publicity that's come with closing stores and slashing prices.

What does everyone else think?

While I certainly agree they need to do something to increase demand for S and X, the timing for that would make more sense in April (or July even). Announcing it with two more weeks to go in the quarter when deliveries are timed worldwide could result in cancellations and excess inventory to discount.

Also reading on here that there is consideration for combining S/X production lines into one to make room for Y at Fremont would suggest overall production would decrease further even if bringing back third shift. (I don’t recall how credible this was though.)

Then again, lots of things recently don’t make much sense. Closing gallery stores in high end retail locations - sure, makes sense over time as there’s less need for brand awareness and they are moving down market, but closing stores abruptly seems absurd - surely long-term lease obligations in these locations dwarf labor costs, so they’d be blowing money with no return.

I don't think there's any reason to announce the S/X refresh next week. Elon said the v3 supercharger will be in beta for a couple months before they're built out widely. I think the announcement will likely come once that starts. The Y will be a big enough deal that they'll want to save the buzz around the new S and X for a more low key time. Of course, this is all pure speculation.

if there is an S/X update, I think it will a minor update to have new builds support V3 (which is huge in my opinion). But no body, style, interior etc changes at all.

S and X are basically made to order. So I doubt dropping prices just to move inventory is something Tesla does. Other car companies actually have to do this.

However, I am expecting something big to be announced.

I am torn between these two options. I think the first is more sensible, however I can't help thinking that the price drop is a sweetener for those who buy a model S now, only to face a much improved model being sold at usual prices at a later date.