Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else having voice recognition issues since the last 2 updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A month or so ago Tesla released an update which seemed to really fix the voice recognition system. For a few days we were turning on seat heaters and showing/hiding the backup cam like nobody's business.

Then something happened. Now nothing works. It either recognizes the command, shows the text on the display, and ignores it. Or usually from the dirver's seat especially, it won't recognize anything.

Is it time to call the Ranger or is everybody seeing this and we just need to sit tight for the next update?

Thanks for any insight!

• Informative
Reactions: RDuke
Well often the text is perfectly recognized and displayed "Turn seat heater on", but nothing happens. And I find I have to hold the button down for a second or two after I finish speaking or it misses the last few words.

I have had exactly the same problem on my Model X since the first Voice update. Today I tried to make a service appointment and was told, "We are aware of what you have described with your voice commands. The issue is a known characteristic of the most recent firmwares and is currently under investigation, but we do not yet have an ETA on when the firmware will be deployed that addresses this. All vehicles are experiencing this, and we apologize for the inconvenience this may cause." I expect that they mean all v ehicles that were built around the time myne was built (mid-1918).

I have had exactly the same problem on my Model X since the first Voice update. Today I tried to make a service appointment and was told, "We are aware of what you have described with your voice commands. The issue is a known characteristic of the most recent firmwares and is currently under investigation, but we do not yet have an ETA on when the firmware will be deployed that addresses this. All vehicles are experiencing this, and we apologize for the inconvenience this may cause." I expect that they mean all v ehicles that were built around the time myne was built (mid-1918).

Yes; same w/ me. Recently had my at home appt cancelled when service called and said it was a system wide issue. They could not say when the new update will be made available and in the meantime we have to live w/ it!

Echo on the press and release, that's how I've always done it. I too found that VR is a hit or miss lately. Often times, it just shows that it's still listening even though you've already finished saying the phrase.

I noticed it started happening around the same time text to speech was installed. VR has become a frustrating process now, it's easier to just push buttons. (I know, first world problems!) LOL

A month or so ago Tesla released an update which seemed to really fix the voice recognition system. For a few days we were turning on seat heaters and showing/hiding the backup cam like nobody's business.

Then something happened. Now nothing works. It either recognizes the command, shows the text on the display, and ignores it. Or usually from the dirver's seat especially, it won't recognize anything.

Is it time to call the Ranger or is everybody seeing this and we just need to sit tight for the next update?

Thanks for any insight!

Just after the update, I needed to call 911. I could not get it to dial at all. While the car seemed to be hearing me, it never completed the call. I tried calling other numbers. Same result. I tried to change the heater temp--it worked fine. WTF?
I called Tesla and talked to a tech. She said they were flooded with calls about how the voice command was pooched. "They're frantically working on it." That was two weeks ago. Still no fix. Now I risk arrest by using my phone to dial.