Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else tired of being asked if .........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the car has caught on fire?

It is the first thing someone says to me when they see my car or learn that I drive one. The power of the media is strong and boy have the oil and ICE companies done a good job of spinning it up.

You don't even have to ask that question in these precincts: the answer is a universal 'Yes!'. Even the people I have taken for test drives feel compelled to bring it up when I see them again.

Actually, the frequency of fire questions has dropped to zero for me. Now I get questions like "what does it cost to operate?" That was from my financial adviser who is working up an argument for his wife.

I, too, frequently get questions about the fires.

But I'm curious: what evidence do you cite for your assertion that "the oil and ICE companies have done a good job of spinning it up?" From my vantage point, the media have done a "fine" job promoting this issue without any help. The video of one of the fires was particularly eye-catching and made for good TV.

the car has caught on fire?

It is the first thing someone says to me when they see my car or learn that I drive one. The power of the media is strong and boy have the oil and ICE companies done a good job of spinning it up.

Since I'm a Tesla fan my family asked me about Tesla's catching on fire. It's f'in amazing how much influence the media has on people. Unbelievable. It's amazing how many people don't ask questions and just believe whatever they hear. BTW love the gas tank puncture comment :)

I smile, provide a quote about 185k+ gasoline car fires per year and ask if they are ever fearful of driving around in a vehicle with 11+ gallons of highly flammable liquid that has the explosive potential of at least 150 sticks of dynamite.

Fun Fact: One gallon of gas contains the explosive energy of 14 sticks of dynamite.

Then I ask if they'd like a ride . . . they usually accept and several have purchased a Tesla. Just doing my bit for the Tesla stock price.

Actually, I find it an opportunity if it comes up. At the Charlotte Cars & Coffee back in December, it came up twice. And was readily dismissed by other people in the crowd twice. I then launched into how the incident in Mexico involved high speed collisions through multiple concrete walls and then into a tree. And then caught on fire. And the driver walked away.

I think it is a temporary phenomenon that is actually necessary as part of the evolution and market acceptance of the BEV, as long as it happened late enough (which I think it did) and not too often. If this happened in winter 2012, I'm not so sure things would have gone as well. It was definitely unfortunate that the incidents clustered in that way.

People I work with know I know, so they ask "What about these fires do I not know?" And the first I tell them is that not only did the car tell them to pull over, allowed the passengers/driver to get out and all their belongings and the cabin was not compromised, but only one of the fires (the one in Tennessee which was really close to the Leaf plant BTW) occurred without the firewall being punctured by local firemen (in Kent).

Then they ask if I'm concerned to which I say "I'd be concerned if I wasn't driving this car, do you know how many people are killed/permanently injured each year from non-accident induced car fires?"

But regardless, I was only asked about 5 times with the last time being about a month ago.

I got a fire extinguisher as a "Christmas"gift from one of my colleagues. She pointed out that the extinguisher is certified to work on "battery"fires.. We had several sessions of Q/A regarding the tesla fires earlier. I am planning to give her a "gas card" with a note..' Thanks for the fire extinguisher that I may never need- but here is the gas card that you will need today'

I got a fire extinguisher as a "Christmas"gift from one of my colleagues. She pointed out that the extinguisher is certified to work on "battery"fires.. We had several sessions of Q/A regarding the tesla fires earlier. I am planning to give her a "gas card" with a note..' Thanks for the fire extinguisher that I may never need- but here is the gas card that you will need today'

I'd re-gift/return noting that while driving/refueling an ICE car is far more likely to catch on fire with current data and most likely going to only be more in favor of EV's being safer going forward.