TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anybody else wish for teflon coatings in their wheel wells?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TrevTremaine, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Does anyone else find that with all the snow and slush that they spend a fair bit of time clearing out the wheel wells? I forgot it this morning before leaving and lowered the car from the highest setting to normal and had to raise it again for the cacophony of noises coming from them. They were solidly packed with icy slush, which I chipped out carefully afterwards. I rarely had to do this with any other car, but I gather it's because the wheel wells are tighter for better aerodynamics. I'm almost tempted to put some cooking spray in there to see if it would worko_O.

2. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

you could just get a car wash, should blast most of it out as long as it has a wheel spray feature

3. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Try the cooking spray. Can't hurt, and report back if it helps. In cold weather, the car wash is too short to get rid of that stuff unless you go to a DIY and blast it for some time BUT as soon as you drive out of there it will start accumulating again.

4. Lon12

Lon12 Member

My vote would be to use some of that 1.21 Gigawatts of power we have sitting in the battery and have a heating element that we could activate every now and then to blow that snow off!

5. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I would but somehow I've got a feeling that it would get on the brakes and then...

Solve one problem and end up with a bigger one...heading down a nice steep hill.:oops:

I'll look for a solution for next year and see if it works - perhaps some kind of spray-liner that has some non-stick properties.

• Informative x 1
  6. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

You need some of that "magic" spray that Chevy Chase used on his flying saucer, in A Christmas Vacation.......

• Funny x 4
  7. animorph

animorph Active Member

No free gas engine heat to heat the wheel wells either.

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Used to use WD 40 to keep mud off my off roaders. May work for this purpose too. ALso makes the liners nice and black for car shows.

No matter what you use, be super careful not to get any on your brakes : <(

• Like x 1
  9. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Since OP is located in Toronto,

I suggest dollar car wash near Dundas West & Ossington

Or Vic Pk & Ellesmere

Can’t beat one dollar hot water car wash

And petro Canada has 20% off for car wash pass (6 usage)

No expiry date

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

Apparently you have to be careful with car washes as they can scratch the car as the Tesla has "soft" paint. I prefer to use the Touchless car washes that you can find at Esso stations - and perhaps elsewhere.

11. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

The simple solution, taking the car to some kind of wash can work - when there's time. I've got one near enough to do it today to get rid of some very stuck on icy slush.

Options I'm considering (both in earnest and jokingly):
    • WD40 (wipe on with a cloth)
    • Teflon Spray (wipe on)
    • Lard (spread on with a brush) - side benefit (fastest lard ass) (also means I get to eat a lot of bacon)
    • Ski wax (yeah, I'd love to try Chevy's version) - might actually work
    • Elon's flame thrower.
    Anything I'm missing besides a tin foil hat? Sorry, but I'm reserving the 1.21Gigawatts for time travel in case I screw this up royally.

I'm wondering if the ceramic coating people are putting on might work too if it's in the wheel well...

• Funny x 1