Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else with standard suspension get this email?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're referring to the California rebate (CVRP), you must take delivery of the car before you apply. Simply having a VIN isn't enough. But there is some hope that they will get more funds.

Are you sure you actually have to take delivery of the car before applying? I was under the impression that you just had to sign the final MVPA and plan to take delivery in time to mail off a copy of the temporary registration within 14 days of applying on line.

napabill's post on 1-13-2013 is consistent with this: "Submitted my application on about 11/19/12, took delivery on my car on 11/29/12, got approval on about 12/10/12, and got my check last week! Whew!"

Are you sure you actually have to take delivery of the car before applying? I was under the impression that you just had to sign the final MVPA and plan to take delivery in time to mail off a copy of the temporary registration within 14 days of applying on line.

napabill's post on 1-13-2013 is consistent with this: "Submitted my application on about 11/19/12, took delivery on my car on 11/29/12, got approval on about 12/10/12, and got my check last week! Whew!"

Well, here's what they say in the FAQ:

http://energycenter.org/index.php/i...ebate-project/frequently-asked-questions-cvrp
Vehicle rebates can be reserved on the date of, and not prior to, vehicle purchase.

So maybe "delivery" isn't the right word, but I take "purchase" to mean that you must have paid for it.

http://energycenter.org/index.php/i...ebate-project/frequently-asked-questions-cvrp

So maybe "delivery" isn't the right word, but I take "purchase" to mean that you must have paid for it.

I'm not a lawyer so I am not completely sure of the legal definition of "purchase date" with respect to automobiles in California. It also doesn't appear to be defined in the motor vehicle purchase agreement, but they do define the effective date of the contract as "This Agreement is entered into and effective as of the last date signed below." So I'm interpreting the purchase date as the effective date of the contract (e.g. when Tesla countersigned). Anyway, Tesla countersigned my final MVPA this morning and I just hit the submit button on the CVRP application. I'll let you know how things go.

Well, from a practical point of view, the documentation you provide to show the purchase date is the MVPA and the temp registration (which has the same date as the one on the MVPA). The only document I have that shows when I payed is the delivery document, which isn't amongst the stuff provided to CVRP.

I think in a case like this..Tesla should just add the air for free....i would think its better to give a few initial customers air and deliver car within the delivery window, than retracting statements about delivery dates.

Tesla definitely should not be expected to simply eat the cost of the air suspension just because they are missing the delivery window by 6-8 weeks. LOTS of signature owners had bigger delays for their cars. These delays suck but are not totally unexpected. Yesterday I got a VIN for my Model S (60) but the new delivery window has been pushed back 3 weeks to March 9-23.

For all the folks that say that he should simply add air suspension trust me when I tell you that its not easy to change your configuration after you finalize.

Tesla definitely should not be expected to simply eat the cost of the air suspension just because they are missing the delivery window by 6-8 weeks. LOTS of signature owners had bigger delays for their cars. These delays suck but are not totally unexpected. Yesterday I got a VIN for my Model S (60) but the new delivery window has been pushed back 3 weeks to March 9-23.

For all the folks that say that he should simply add air suspension trust me when I tell you that its not easy to change your configuration after you finalize.

SuperCoug, looks like we have the same delivery window. Maybe we'll cross paths at the delivery center.

FWIW - based on my situation, if anyone with Standard Suspension were to switch to Air at this point, you probably wouldn't get the car much sooner. I reserved September, 2011, finalized August, 2012, and re-finalized with Active Air at the end of November, 2012. I'm a 60kwh, res#5339 and I've watched as numbers close to 12,000 begin to take delivery despite not even reserving until December, 2012. The reason for this is that TM put me at the end of the line of the Active Air orders, including many that reserved/finalized after me. Its frustrating, but I remind myself that 40kwh orders that came as much as a year before me are still waiting. My window is 2/10 - 2/24. I don't have a VIN yet, but I still hope for delivery by the end of the month. Also, note that I switched to Air because I decided that's what I should have ordered originally, not merely to move up the line.

Well, if standard suspension is begining production next week, then my theory was correct. My revised delivery date is now 3/18, and I was told it goes into production next week. Although I first finalized Aug 12, re-finalized with Air Nov 2012, I was placed behind many, many 60s with Air that didn't even reserve until after I finalized. Very strange, but if I get it soon, all is well. Vin 6406, 60kwh, super, air, tech, stereo, shelf, pano, blue/tan/ob matt.

My model S performance reservation placed in September was in the 13's and is set for delivery next week. That's the good news. The caution I would offer all Tesla prospects is to make sure before committing,if you intend to charge it at home which I would assume most will, that you have adequate power (amperage) available to you for charging. A typical 100 Amp main for houses isn't going to cut it as it is likley tapped out with washer, dryer, other appliance power needs. You'll need a dedicated 50 amps or so for efficient charging and probably a 200 Amp main. There are a few workarounds that may be OK, but realize that there's some expense and not insignificant to get your garage set for charging.

I think a lot of its to do with the tooling and process development in the factory.
The process and parts supply is already set up for air suspension but the same thing for steel suspension is still being developed.
Sure you would hope that everything would start at the same time but I guess this is one disadvantage of buying from a startup.
I don't believe it's Tesla picking high spec and so high profit cars first even though it might look that way.

Last edited:
If Tesla is doing the same thing a year from now it is a problem but I'd imagine ramping things up like they are doing required them to make certain choices for production. This doesn't help the people waiting of course but might be the reason behind the way the production is set up.