Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody go from an S-Class to Model X?

Should I get a Model X, S-Class or Audi A8?

• Model S

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • S-Class

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Audi A8

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Model X

Votes: 45 62.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone go from a Mercedes S-Class to the Model X?

I'm debating between getting an S-Class (or maybe even the new 2018 Audi A8) or a Model X for myself but I'm so used to these big German barges I'm concerned I might not be happy with the interior, material quality, fit/finish, amenities and wind/road noise. I'm finding even my current 7-Series doesn't measure up after test driving the S-Class.

If any has any experience with this transition, please share your experience.

I was in the same boat before I bought my car. Nearly bought a S63 and glad I didn't.

Interior is nicer I agree but simplicity of Tesla is better.

The consistent upgrades and tech is far better on the tesla. It's personal preferance but saving that trip to the gas station also is a big winner.

Plus so many S classes now here in Dallas that it's nothing special.

You have to decide what is important to you. I "stepped down" when I got my original Model S from a Lexus LS600hL. From a luxury standpoint, the Model S and X are no comparison to the Mercedes S (or Lexus LS, BMW 7 series, or Audi A8). If comfort and road isolation are your top priority, the Mercedes or Audi will be better. If you want the unbelievable performance and highly responsive feel that only an electric drive train can offer, get the Model S or X.

• Informative
Reactions: Drucifer and outie
You will make some sacrifices stepping down from the eurolux cars. I did and do not regret it in the least. I can drive a loaded BMW 750 or my corvette. Which car do you think gets driven? My S P90DL of course. The other cars pretty much sat there for over a year.

Going back to an ice car no matter how luxurious is now a step down in fun and kind of like going backwards.

I have both, but to be honest, after driving an X, I would never go back to an ICE car. The S rides better, is quieter, and is more luxurious, but the X is the car of the future. My dad who is 80 hates Tesla and finds them plain and nit as prestigious. But to me, a gas car no longer has any appeal. PM me if you want more specifics.

Reactions: randy1077
I owned a 2007 Mercedes S550 and 200K miles later traded it in for a Lexus LS460 sedan (which I still own). I've purchased the MX 100D about a month ago and love the driving the MX the best. Instant acceleration and the latest electronics are very unique. Not dealing with gas is huge plus although there are time trade-offs when making longer trips. It is a personal choice though. As others have mentioned, the ride quality and the luxury aspects of the S are clearly better. There is a high cost of ownership with S repairs, especially after the first 100K miles.

I went from a 2008 S65 to a 2016 P90DL. There is no comparison. And it's not just me, all my friends who have 911's, Maserati's, AMG Mercedes or Audi's all end up driving their Teslas while the high end German cars sit in the garage. I also have an SL55 which really needs to be driven more than once a quarter to stay healthy....gives you an idea of what % the Teslas are driven comparatively.

Yeah, ok, so the leather is nicer (especially the Exclusive Nappa leather in an S65 AMG), but beyond that, let's face it, the telematics on the Tesla blow away the competition. And in every other measure of a luxury car (noise, vibration, harshness), the Tesla trumps the S.

I suppose compared to an S550, the Tesla ride might be a little worse, but it's about on par with the more aggressively tuned AMG ABC suspension. But on the road, without motor and transmission noise, the Tesla is way quieter.

I agree with many of the comments above:

1) You won't miss the high end German car at all
2) If you had both, you'd find that you'll end up choosing the Tesla the vast majority of the time if not nearly exclusively

Did anyone go from a Mercedes S-Class to the Model X?

I'm debating between getting an S-Class (or maybe even the new 2018 Audi A8) or a Model X for myself but I'm so used to these big German barges I'm concerned I might not be happy with the interior, material quality, fit/finish, amenities and wind/road noise. I'm finding even my current 7-Series doesn't measure up after test driving the S-Class.

If any has any experience with this transition, please share your experience.

I have no experience of the latest Model S, other than sitting in one on a few occasions, but an outside comment.

I came to Tesla from the Audi A8 (the current major model pre-facelift) to Model S in 2014 and onto Model X in 2017. The reality is, if coming from a now aging Audi A8 to Model S felt like a big downgrade, it will feel that even more when coming from the current S Class. I know my old Audi A8 was in many ways far superior to my current Model X as well. It just had so much stuff Tesla doesn't have.

Yet, something in that Model S got me gushing and writing this piece back then. :)

"Car market literally down to 2 cars today"

Going Tesla means you will be giving away A LOT. Make no mistake about it. You have to come into terms with that. The interior is mediocre, has very few features, insulation is improving but has not nothing on how the Germans do it etc. However, you will also be gaining A LOT, the great drivetrain experience and a software updateable platform. Only you can decide if that is the tradeoff to make.

That said, Model 3 is just coming out and will likely cause a continued spillage of product improvements to come to the Model S / X over the next two, three quarters. So if you do choose to go Tesla, may I recommend waiting a bit before biting. New interiors, convenience features, eletronic assists, batteries etc. might be on the horizon...

Finally, if the choice is Model X and not Model S, beware of those rear doors. They make no sense and are a major nuisance. But they are showy and I like them for that at least.

And in every other measure of a luxury car (noise, vibration, harshness), the Tesla trumps the S.

That is absolutely not true in driver or passenger comforts. It is not even true for noise, which is far worse at-speed on a Model S/X than in a double-glazed, massively insulated S Class/7 Series/Audi A8 level car.

But most importantly the difference shows in other features:

A S Class/7 Series/Audi A8 level car will have fully electric seating that is ventilated, massaged, many dozens of ways adjusting all over the car. (Model S/X basically have just very basic seat settings and mostly manual rear seats, there is not even seat ventilation anymore.)

In S Class/7 Series/Audi A8 there will also be multiple screens, tables, sunscreens in windows and roofs (Tesla has none integrated) and AC zones all over the car as well, for those with passengers. The suspension will also be adjustable beyond just ride height (Model S/X are very harsh riding cars) and there is four-wheel steering in some.

Software upgradeability as well as BEVs drivetrain benefits (including pre-heating and cooling by battery alone) are benefits for Tesla, but in terms of comforts it really is quite the rough deal coming from a modern high-end German with all the bells and whistles.

And especially so, if you are sitting in any other seat than the driver's seat. Tesla pretty much has nothing for the passengers.

Last edited:
Yes I'm thinking of waiting ~12 months to see if there will be a major update to the X (or even S).

Maybe with the new Volvo interior designer, we'll see a big upgrade. I worry though that Elon may not think about all these comfort/luxury/noise aspects. But IMO if you're going to call Teslas the best cars in the world, they should be the best in these aspects as well.

Someone needs to force Elon to ride/drive an S600 for a week and put all its best features in Teslas.

Yes I'm thinking of waiting ~12 months to see if there will be a major update to the X (or even S).
Tesla makes major changes regularly but on their schedule, not on an artificial "model year" schedule like all the other manufacturers, and they do not announce the Changes in advance. They make unannounced minor updates, hardware and software, constantly, many of which customers aren't even aware of.

You can wait because you want the next big thing from Tesla, whatever that may be, based on rumors and frenzied speculation which is often wrong, or you can evaluate what Tesla is offering today and decide whether or not it meets your needs right now. If it does, buy it. If not, wait. But you will have no idea how long you will be waiting, and during that time you will miss out on driving the best overall car in the world with zero emissions that can be powered by sustainable energy. Your choice.

But you will have no idea how long you will be waiting,

I'm not sure this is true, except in theory. In practice there are likely better and worse times to buy a Tesla. You don't know exactly, but you often have some idea what might be in the immediate pipeline.

Waiting for a quarter or two as Model 3 ramps up seem more likely to include changes seen in Model 3, especially given Model S/X's age and osborning of Model 3 due to certain features it has, than just any given time in history.

On the other hand, new changes often come at the beginning of quarters. Seeing as we are already into mid-Q3 soon, maybe waiting until early Q4 at least would make sense.

You have to factor in all you know, as well as what you need and want, and then decide how long to wait... You may not get it right, but this is still a more informed way than just assuming you can never know anything and order "blindly"...

Agreed. It's a real possibility that by end of 2018 when nearly as good M3 is more readily available, combined with competition from cheaper Audi e-tron Quattro, Mercedes Generation EQ and Jaguar I-Pace, the much more expensive Model S/X sales would take a hit and Tesla would be forced to do either a major upgrade or lower prices to ~ E-Class levels.

Agreed. It's a real possibility that by end of 2018 when nearly as good M3 is more readily available, combined with competition from cheaper Audi e-tron Quattro, Mercedes Generation EQ and Jaguar I-Pace, the much more expensive Model S/X sales would take a hit and Tesla would be forced to do either a major upgrade or lower prices to ~ E-Class levels.
The prices are not going down. If anything, they will go up. The I-Pace is the only real competition for the next few years and I have sneaking suspicion that it's going to come up a bit short on range and fast charging is going to be spotty at best if they don't license the Supercharger network.

The prices are not going down. If anything, they will go up. The I-Pace is the only real competition for the next few years and I have sneaking suspicion that it's going to come up a bit short on range and fast charging is going to be spotty at best if they don't license the Supercharger network.

The Model 3 in itself is pretty good competition. I don't understand how Tesla will be able to justify 2 times the price for at best a slightly better car. I can see why people pay twice for an S-Class over a C-Class. It pretty much has twice the amenities, luxury and comfort. Model S isn't that well differentiated from a Model 3.

Also, I think e-tron and Gen EQ, which will surely be priced lower than X and maybe even S, should be good competition too. New gen Audis and Mercedes are really good vehicles. Charging stations are coming up rapidly in many countries over next 2-3 years and a lot of people don't necessarily travel long distances a lot.

Reactions: Drucifer