Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody gone Bay Area to Tahoe yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another data point for people to reference.

Came up late last night and stopped at the Roseville Supercharger. Charged to 215 miles and arrived at our house about a mile south of the Homewood ski resort with 55 miles. Temps were below freezing for pretty much the entire drive, seemed like there was some headwind, kept windshield defrost on low, and had cruise control at 67MPH for the climb up and down into Truckee. Got up to the summit with 77 miles of range left.

So, in sum:

Left Roseville Supercharger with 215 miles
Arrived in Homewood/Tahoma with 55 miles
Range Loss: 160 miles
Distance Traveled: 103 miles

Came up late last night and stopped at the Roseville Supercharger. Charged to 215 miles and arrived at our house about a mile south of the Homewood ski resort with 55 miles. Temps were below freezing for pretty much the entire drive, seemed like there was some headwind, kept windshield defrost on low, and had cruise control at 67MPH for the climb up and down into Truckee. Got up to the summit with 77 miles of range left.

So, in sum:

The temperature and grade took a big hit on range!

So, in sum:

In my travels, I used cruise control on flat terrain, and it was okay.
When traveling in the mountains, cruise control has a huge negative impact on range, so I turn it off and just use the pedal, moderating the amount depending on the circumstances and conditions.

Watch how the big trucks traverse the mountains, and they are definitely slowing down during their climb.
Several times in the mountains I slowed down to 45 even 38 mph in the steeper portions in order to conserve range.
I guess IF you are not worried about range and your next charge, then let it rip.

I recently drove from the Bay Area and topped off at the Vacaville SC to max range (268 miles)... We zipped up Hwy 50 in the fast lane, driving like Mario Andretti, and got to Harvey's with 100 miles left on the battery... We left Harvey's for Monterey Bay, thru the Carson Pass, and reached Gilroy SC with 60 miles remaining. Speeds were in the 70's... No worries....

tenstringer009 we're neighbors! I have a cabin up in Tahoma.
Typically I charge back up to 200 miles in Roseville to make it to Tahoma (with enough miles left for fudge factor).

Nice! I'll have to keep an eye out for a grey P85+ on the West Shore. We haven't installed a charging station at the cabin yet (and I'm doubtful it'll happen as this was the first trip up in the Tesla since we got it 1.5+ years ago), so we wanted to have enough range to make it back to the Truckee supercharger.

We just went into escrow yesterday to purchase a nice 6 bedroom new construction home in south lake Tahoe to use as a vacation rental ... Conditional on the installation of a 14-50 in the garage of course☺
Plugshare should have a separate category for accommodation charging so people looking for that can find it without annoying everyone else.

Our routine in going to our place in Tahoe City now includes a stop at the Truckee Safeway for provisions, while filling up on electrons at the SC. That usually is all I need. But just read that the Oliver Real Estate office just south of Tahoe City on Hwy 89 has installed a couple of HPWC's. In that it is right adjacent to our place, I've no worries.