Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody had confusion with other owners about who's car it is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody had confusion with other owners about whose car it is?

Public underground garage. I see two well dressed men standing by my car, and there is a pile of books on my frunk!! I approach, and say to them, "I think that is INCREDIBLY RUDE TO PLACE ITEMS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR" One of the men says "This is my car!" I say, "really???" and approach the driver's side and the handles present themselves. Well, you can imagine the look on his face, and he says, "Oh my God, I have the same car, and I parked in this space last night. Today, I forgot, I am at the EV charging station."
Has this happened to anyone else? I realize that there are many Teslas in Beverly Hills, so this might be more unusual, but I think I am going to have a custom wrap for my nosecone, to make the car more individual.

Last edited:
I took this picture a couple of weeks after getting the first Model S delivery in Canada... and yes this was completely random.

IMG_1390.JPG

Mine is on the right...

Have not really solved the mystery around the other car. I have the VIN # but service does not seem to be able to reverse lookup the owner this way. I have tried to find the person through other means as I thought they lived in nearby but had no success. Another idea was that the person did not buy the tech package and left their door unlocked and somehow my fob woke up their handle?

And that is why Canadian regulations require an immobilizer (e.g. a fob) with an extremely large number of codes.

Back in the day major automakers only had 100 different key combinations (or maybe less) and it was pretty commonplace for your keys to open random cars.

I had a similar situation happen to me, though fortunately not involving my Model S. I was in a local Starbucks and happened to notice a lady climb into the drivers seat of my Audi. She tried putting her key into the ignition, but it wouldn't fit. After several attempts, she finally got out of the Audi and into her Mazda, and she drove off! How on Earth could you confuse the two interiors? Perhaps she was looking to upgrade.

This is why it is good to get the wheel center cap T's and other customizations.

I'm considering having my brake thingy's painted red like someone else on the forum.

With my car, locking it remotely via the key set off the alarm on a Subaru next to mine...

Happened to my grandfather about 26 years ago. Cant even remember the vehicle make, I was very young (3 maybe 4). We were at the Trap Shooting club. (I got to watch and bring him more shells). When we left, we got into "our" car, and DROVE OFF! Got back home (only about 1/2 mile away), he reached for his garage door opener, and it wasn't on the visor. Thats when we realized the problem. Went back and saw the owner of the car looking for it. We apologized, they talked for about 15 minutes, had some good laughs (knew each other at the gun club). Wish I could figure out what kind of car it was. Grandpa is up their in age, and not remembering things any more :(