Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have a Front Lip spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering could you take a picture of where the screws are? I will be installing myself and I’m worried about permanent damages with the screws. I know you mentioned it was only on the black under tray...

also, how are you liking the front lil so far?

I'm liking the lip so far. It feels subtle but slightly aggressive to me. Purely cosmetic but I think Tesla should have distinguished the Performance M3's from normal M3's, and this helps my car stand out.

Will try to get pics of the screws but it's low on the front. I had to lift up the front to install it and may need to do that for pics.

The more subtle front lip from China (3 piece "carbon-fiber-esque") arrived. Here's pictures of it fitted up temporarily with double sided tape with a mild attention to alignment. Tried to take pictures similar to the angles of the more aggressive lip in this post.

Not sure which one I am going to put on. If I do put one on, I will definitely have it wrapped, it's too shiny and CF lines are warped on the left side (last pic).

IMG_20200526_171944.jpg
IMG_20200526_172011.jpg
IMG_20200526_172033.jpg
IMG_20200526_172104.jpg

IMG_20200526_175527.jpg

The more subtle front lip from China (3 piece "carbon-fiber-esque") arrived. Here's pictures of it fitted up temporarily with double sided tape with a mild attention to alignment. Tried to take pictures similar to the angles of the more aggressive lip in this post.

Not sure which one I am going to put on. If I do put one on, I will definitely have it wrapped, it's too shiny and CF lines are warped on the left side (last pic).

View attachment 545062 View attachment 545063 View attachment 545064 View attachment 545065
View attachment 545066
I have the same problem with mine on the passenger side piece where the CF pattern is laughably bad. I asked the seller if they are all like that of if they can send me one that's less noticeable. No way I can put it on the car as-is.

View attachment 545062 View attachment 545063 View attachment 545064 View attachment 545065
View attachment 545066

Can you please link to that spoiler you purchased?

They have carbon fiber wraps, but I wonder if it would have the same problem with distortion about the complex shapes of some of these spoilers.

I have the same problem with mine on the passenger side piece where the CF pattern is laughably bad. I asked the seller if they are all like that of if they can send me one that's less noticeable. No way I can put it on the car as-is.

I would think they are all like that because of the complex curves with the edge wings and the process the carbon look is applied (hydro-dipped). I ordered gloss black for this reason alone. I find if you want carbon look it looks good only for mostly flat pieces, and your best bet is to get a real carbon fiber product instead.

Wrapping the front lip may be a good option (still has sharp curve at wing) as-is plasti-dipping it or painting. Still I think Jookyone's install looks good and I'd just keep it until it can be painted/wrapped.

Can you please link to that spoiler you purchased?

They have carbon fiber wraps, but I wonder if it would have the same problem with distortion about the complex shapes of some of these spoilers.

More subtle lip which I did install:
For 2016-2019 Tesla Model 3 Sedan Carbon Fiber Style Front Bumper Lip Spoiler | eBay

More aggressive lip:
Carbon Fiber Look Style Front Bumper Lip Body Kit Spoiler For 16-19 Tesla Model3 | eBay

I'm not completely confident in the screws included with the more subtle lip (and lack of adhesive tape included with the aggressive one, but I applied some of my own), so I will be upgrading those. The quality of the subtle lip was lower than the aggressive, and also had fewer screw holes, all of which I was able to mount in the black part of the bumper. I also had a friend see if the lip was flopping around at speed. It wasn't (I assumed attention to mounting makes a difference). I also did a 25 mile loop with an attempt to determine range effect at similar speeds, before and after mounting (max speed was 70mph). A negligible change in Wh/mile ( 243 vs 245) likely due to not being a robot :) hope this helps.

For 2016-2019 Tesla Model 3 Sedan Carbon Fiber Style Front Bumper Lip Spoiler | eBay

More aggressive lip:
Carbon Fiber Look Style Front Bumper Lip Body Kit Spoiler For 16-19 Tesla Model3 | eBay

I'm not completely confident in the screws included with the more subtle lip (and lack of adhesive tape included with the aggressive one, but I applied some of my own), so I will be upgrading those. The quality of the subtle lip was lower than the aggressive, and also had fewer screw holes, all of which I was able to mount in the black part of the bumper. I also had a friend see if the lip was flopping around at speed. It wasn't (I assumed attention to mounting makes a difference). I also did a 25 mile loop with an attempt to determine range effect at similar speeds, before and after mounting (max speed was 70mph). A negligible change in Wh/mile ( 243 vs 245) likely due to not being a robot :) hope this helps.
Thanks. The one I have has the smaller "wings" at the end (not sure what they are called). You think the one with the larger wings is the more subtle one?

But the pattern is so bad on one of the pieces I got I have to return it and the seller is being a pain about it.

I installed the "Carbon Look" front spoiler like many on here. Unfortunately, I was driving this past weekend and following closely behind a truck when he struck a groundhog. Yup, I had no time to react. This spoiler is low and did scrub with UP lowering springs I'm going to look into Maxton Design V1. It only adds an inch or two. This spoiler was over 3.5 inches in the front

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 568
I installed the "Carbon Look" front spoiler like many on here. Unfortunately, I was driving this past weekend and following closely behind a truck when he struck a groundhog. Yup, I had no time to react. This spoiler is low and did scrub with UP lowering springs I'm going to look into Maxton Design V1. It only adds an inch or two. This spoiler was over 3.5 inches in the front
@Anyone who has the 3piece carbon fiber spoiler from eBay, I know you have to screw it in. I am wondering are you screwing into the actual bumper or just the undercarriage part, so if the time come to remove it like this individuals who got struck by a groundhog, will it leave holes ??

More aggressive lip:

i think these cheap $62 lips look better then then the more expensive ones lol. The second link doesn’t work anymore. Do you recall vendor name or see another listed for same price? Thank you

i think these cheap $62 lips look better then then the more expensive ones lol. The second link doesn’t work anymore. Do you recall vendor name or see another listed for same price? Thank you
As long as you don't care about whacking out carefully designed OEM aerodynamics, you can certainly go cheap.

I can't believe someone would consider putting those cheap three-piece things on such a nice car, especially with that "dipped carbon fiber" finish that looks like it was printed on silly putty and stretched in ungodly ways so that the pattern is totally distorted near the wing tips.

Reactions: N.Y.R.
Inspired by some of the photos on here and not too keen on the pedestrian front of a Model 3 (came from an S), I purchased one of the 3 piece "carbon-like" eBay front lips. It's just tacked on with some double sided tape with moderate attention to alignment. This is the more aggressive of the two versions I saw on eBay. The other (I think 1FASTROD has it in black) is coming next week and I'll probably fit it up and see which I like better. I've included a shot from the ground to show clearance and body alignment.

Gotta admit, I liked this one better than I thought and I'm usually a fan of more subtle body work. Cheers!

View attachment 542054 View attachment 542056 View attachment 542057
View attachment 542055

I like it. $62 and 30 mins of your time it’s a no brainer for me