Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have a Front Lip spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it's hard to measure, but I assume those aggressive-looking front spoiler negatively affect aerodynamics? I have to assume those cheap spoilers were designed specifically for looks and not efficiency.

Not knocking them, and I'm thinking of getting one, but anyone quantify the effects?

Strong advice :) it was taped just to show fitment. Did you end up installing yours permanently?

I did end up installing mine with screws. I was happy to see the screws only had to go into the black under tray and not the white front nose.

2IMG_0083.jpg

Now if I can get a nice sunny day to take better pictures.

I'm sure it's hard to measure, but I assume those aggressive-looking front spoiler negatively affect aerodynamics? I have to assume those cheap spoilers were designed specifically for looks and not efficiency.

Not knocking them, and I'm thinking of getting one, but anyone quantify the effects?

I think the only front lip that has been wind-tunnel tested is the Unplugged Performance one. Even though it is way more expensive than average (add R&D costs), I chose to go with it to get both better looks and aero efficiency. Also, think your assumption is right about most spoilers designed for looks only. Guess that's the primary reason for adding a front lip in most cases.

... If working properly a lip spoiler would increase drag on a tesla.

I think it is possible to simultaneously decrease drag and increase downforce. The UP lip has been tested to decrease drag and although I do not recall if there was a downforce impact, I would doubt that this drag reduction was at the expense of reduction in downforce (i.e., creating upforce).

Looking good. Rather than peeling off entirely, how about paint body colour except leaving the front recessed strip in CF? A little CF remaining would match CF rear spoiler.

There is a bit of bubbling from the vinyl in some areas. I’ll just get it all painted or leave it in black if the bubbling gets worse. Bubbling isn’t bad right now and you hardly notice it unless you look for it. Doesn’t really bother me at this point.

I did end up installing mine with screws. I was happy to see the screws only had to go into the black under tray and not the white front nose.

View attachment 542661

Now if I can get a nice sunny day to take better pictures.
New Tesla M3 owner and new forum member here!
I was wondering could you take a picture of where the screws are? I will be installing myself and I’m worried about permanent damages with the screws. I know you mentioned it was only on the black under tray...

also, how are you liking the front lil so far?

So my eBay "Carbon Fiber" three pc front lip spoiler arrived. It's pretty bad. Obviously it's not even close to real CF, but I imagine from a distance it wouldn't look too bad (see first pic). But OMG look at the second pic. I don't think CF is supposed to warp like that, lol. Not sure I'll be putting this on.

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg