Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have a suggested UMC holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SigNC

Aug 23, 2017
NC
I've seen where some people have their UMC wall mounted in a holder to take stress off the plug and be more of a semi permanent solution. Anybody have links on ones they are using and have had success with? Mostly interested in the new UMC that comes with current vehicles.

Gecko Toes is what you need.

Here is my Wall Connector setup between 2 garages. I have the 8' cable, which is plenty. The space between he 2 garage door rails is 8.75".

gecko.jpg

I've seen where some people have their UMC wall mounted in a holder to take stress off the plug and be more of a semi permanent solution. Anybody have links on ones they are using and have had success with? Mostly interested in the new UMC that comes with current vehicles.
This isn't Model 3 specific, so you'll find more existing responses in the Model S forum probably. I've seen a few suggestions.
Easy, Practical, Inexpensive Charging Cable Bracket

Some people have used bicycle water bottle holders as supporting brackets on the wall, which seem to work well, as in this comment with pictures:
What is your alternative to spending $1500+ on the Wall Connector and a dedicated 240v line?

And a few people have made 3D printing designs for little wall brackets specifically made for the UMC body. Some places sell them directly, or you can download the design and 3D print it yourself.
3D Printed Mobile Charger Mount

Reactions: SigNC
I bought one of the 3D printed sets off eBay and it works great.
One piece supports the UMC to avoid stress on the cord.
The other piece holds the charging cable and has a convenient notch that holds the plug.

20180917_195559.jpg 20180928_185714.jpg 20180929_140217.jpg

Here's my setup. I realize that with gen 2 there isn't as much stress on the plug because the plug is flat so I don't think the holder was strictly necessary for me. Still ended up getting it anyways for looks and to help out with what stress there was.

The cable organizer/holder is the Tesla one.

For the UMC holder I just got one of the many 3d printed ones off ebay; my version had 2 screw holes and did come with screws (but I used my own drywall ones; the ones without screwed were the same price at the time of purchase).

We bought the Tesla one for $25. Looks great and befitting of our beautiful Teslas. Sometimes the local SvC may have them in stock otherwise I see they are in stock now online to order.

Model S/X/3 Cable Organizer

I got 2 of those for my X and 3. They are really nice for cable management and super easy to put up. I just let my UMC bricks hang there. The Gen 1 for the X had been hanging for almost a year. The Gen 2 for the 3 had been hanging for over a month, so far they both seem to be fine. They were made to be hanged.. .I don't see any reason to bracket them up to the wall. But if I really want to get something to hold them to the wall, I would just get those 3M picture frame Velcro tapes .. tape one to the back of the brick, the other to the wall... fast and easy and removable.

For our Model 3, we merely screwed some cup hooks into the drywall and strung the cable along the hooks. When the car is gone, the plug is looped around two empty hooks.

Our garage has rough hewn 4x12 horizontal beams between the stalls. For the S, I installed some racks into these beams. I wrap the cable along the racks. When the car is gone, I simply loop the plug into the slack cable. Since we are both under six feet tall, it is not a hazard. Might be with you taller types out there.