Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have issues with TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some collision work done (a huge $ amount for what looked to be a small job) but when they returned it the TPMS warning started coming up. I brought it back to them and they couldn't reset it but suggested I go to the Tesla service center for a look. The service center changed my appointment to mobile service and the guy replaced a sensor, but after driving around it still hasn't reset. It also now gives a low tire pressure warning after the service. I have another appointment, this time I'm going to bring it in, but was still wondering if anybody has any experience with this and knows what it is or how they may fix it.

I should mention that alternatively the front and then the back tire will report as being low, and also will report as not having reported, but never at the same time.

The really frustrating part is that every car I've had in the last 15 years has had problems with TPMS. There is always a yellow indicator on the dash. Accord, Odyssey, Camry, Impreza. They all had the issue. It just seems that once you change tires the systems stop working properly, or maybe the goobers at the tire shops just don't know how to make it work.

You do not say what model year Tesla you are driving. The newer bluetooth units that now exist on all their models are great. I bought the sensors for my winter wheel set from eBay and they simply just register with zero intervention. When it comes time to swap to the summer wheels, same thing, they just work. Did someone put the wrong sensor in after repair work? Older Model 3s had radio frequency vs the newer bluetooth they have in them now.

It is a '21 SR+. There was body work done where they undoubtedly removed the wheels, but shouldn't have touched the tires. It was still same wheels, same tires. Did they somehow swap front to back? Maybe. Should that have mattered? IDK. The body shop, Tesla authorized, said they'd been having that problem a lot.

It is a '21 SR+. There was body work done where they undoubtedly removed the wheels, but shouldn't have touched the tires. It was still same wheels, same tires. Did they somehow swap front to back? Maybe. Should that have mattered? IDK. The body shop, Tesla authorized, said they'd been having that problem a lot.
Does not matter if you swap tires front to back or side to side, does not affect the TPMS. I rotate my tires on a regular basis which is basically changing their location on the car.

I had my service appointment earlier this week and it is all fixed. The upshot is there are multiple versions of the sensors and my car took the least used ones. They had to do the job twice during the visit because the first attempt failed. It took a while but it is now done.