Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have the slightest jerky feeling when the car engages brake hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm loving the one-touch pedal driving on my 2023 M3 but noticed when the car comes to a stop and enables the "Hold" feature, I feel the slightest movement. It feels like something is engaging under the car. Is this like a parking brake being engaged? Anyone else notice something similar to this or is this suppose to happen with brake hold?

I wonder why though. Even if I brake using the brake pedal myself until the car is completely stationary, if I press the brake pedal further to manually engage hold the car still has a slight movement.

IMO, this slight movement is the only thing preventing the car from braking as smooth as a well trained human.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I wonder why though. Even if I brake using the brake pedal myself until the car is completely stationary, if I press the brake pedal further to manually engage hold the car still has a slight movement.

IMO, this slight movement is the only thing preventing the car from braking as smooth as a well trained human.
I agree, it doesn’t feel as refined as I was expecting. Having the brake hold make a slight movement as it engages always makes me feel like the car is about to breakdown or something since it kind of reminds me when my ICE car had auto stop/start on the engine

Slight movement of what? Are you saying the car is stationary and when hold engages you feel the car move forward or back?
I don't understand what you're feeling as hold works perfectly on all Teslas I've ever driven.

Slight movement of what? Are you saying the car is stationary and when hold engages you feel the car move forward or back?
I don't understand what you're feeling as hold works perfectly on all Teslas I've ever driven.
Not necessarily the car actually moving but feels like something is engaging when it comes to a complete stop. Feels like a parking brake is being applied when hold is activated

Not necessarily the car actually moving but feels like something is engaging when it comes to a complete stop. Feels like a parking brake is being applied when hold is activated
The brake booster is applying the hydraulic brakes. You can feel a very slight brake pedal movement down and hear a quiet 'click' when that happens. Maybe that's what is being described?

The brake booster is applying the hydraulic brakes. You can feel a very slight brake pedal movement down and hear a quiet 'click' when that happens. Maybe that's what is being described?
The movement op and myself are describing isn't the brake pedal movement or anything audible, its actually the whole vehicle, its a very very slight judder. The best way I can think of describing how it feels is this:

If you had creep mode turned on and you held the brake until the car was almost stationary and only moving an almost imperceptible amount and then fully press the brake. The car will come to a complete stop and you'll feel the car judder but very slightly because the car was only barely moving.

Thats the feeling we're describing when brake hold engages. I suspect most people wouldn't feel or notice it. I've noticed it since new, its been 3 years now and its the same, I just assumed that was the way it worked.

Reactions: AztecPyramid
Two notable things happen with hold mode:
  • First, a motor pushes on the brake pedal to gently bring the car to a stop. You can see, feel, and hear the brake pedal moving.
  • Second, once stopped, the system presses much harder on the brake pedal to prevent any rolling from hills, wind, etc. Sometimes the car will have not quite stopped or already begun to roll in some direction before this harder press occurs so there can be a slight jolt. That's probably what you're referring to.

Two notable things happen with hold mode:
  • First, a motor pushes on the brake pedal to gently bring the car to a stop. You can see, feel, and hear the brake pedal moving.
  • Second, once stopped, the system presses much harder on the brake pedal to prevent any rolling from hills, wind, etc. Sometimes the car will have not quite stopped or already begun to roll in some direction before this harder press occurs so there can be a slight jolt. That's probably what you're referring to.
Absolutely agree with this, when using one pedal driving to come to a stop with hold mode, I wish they could ease the brake more so that the slight jolt is completely gone.

However, this slight jolt happens even when you use the actual brake to come to a stop. If you slow down using the mechanical brake until you're completely stopped, without letting go of the brake, press the brake further to engage hold, at least for my car, there is a very slight jolt. Which is weird as the car is already completely stationary. There is of course always the doubt that I may not be completely stationary but I've been experimenting with this for years and all I can is I'm sure I'm completely stopped.

This leads me to think that hold mode is engaging something else like the parking/emergency brake which somehow induces some movement in the wheel. I am in no way saying there's anything wrong with the car, just curious why it happens.

The parking brake operates on the rear calipers with a motor, so you will always hear the motor when the parking brake engages.
I can't say I've ever noticed this 'jolt' but I'm curious enough to go out later and have a play to see if I can reproduce it.

ETA: I've had a play and the little 'jolt' is the rear motor releasing it's torque (confirmed by using Scanmytesla).

When the car comes to a stop in hold mode, the rear motor is effectively holding the car stationary for a moment until the brake booster applies the hydraulic brakes (and the (H) symbol appears). Once that's happened, the motor 'turns off' and you feel that very slight movement.

If you put the car in roll mode and use the footbrake to put the car into hold you'll find there's no jolt as the motor isn't being used to hold the car.

Last edited:
If you put the car in roll mode and use the footbrake to put the car into hold you'll find there's no jolt as the motor isn't being used to hold the car.
I actually never thought to try this and you're right, when in roll mode there's no jolt. I've always left the car's stopping mode in hold mode.

With hold mode enabled, if I use the brake to slow to a complete stop and don't release the brake, hold doesn't activate yet. While in this state, if I press the brake down further to activate hold there is a slight jolt.

Based on your findings about motor torque, it seems like if you have hold mode enabled, even if you've slowed to a stop with the brake, the motor must still be active until hold is actually engaged. An interesting choice on Tesla's part. Perhaps it's a safety mechanism to account for the possibility that I may release the brake at any time and if I do, there will be some motor torque to keep the car still while hold engages.

Yes, correct. It's also possible to hold the car stationary with the motor only by using a very small amount of throttle input when stationary. A bit like holding a manual ICE car stationary on an incline using the clutch. If you do this there won't be a jolt but one could argue this is less safe than using hold.

I have a M3 RWD 2023 that I received on June 12th. Hold mode would always stop the car, no "jolt". I really liked the smoothness of one pedal driving.

2 months later, this week, I started to feel the jolt. Sometimes tiny and sometimes kinda big and noticeable. I find it annoying.

It could be that it was always there and I had not noticed it. I had a Software update on Tuesday 08/10/2023 and it seems to have started then.

I scheduled a service appointment to see what they say about it.

I have a M3 RWD 2023 that I received on June 12th. Hold mode would always stop the car, no "jolt". I really liked the smoothness of one pedal driving.

2 months later, this week, I started to feel the jolt. Sometimes tiny and sometimes kinda big and noticeable. I find it annoying.

It could be that it was always there and I had not noticed it. I had a Software update on Tuesday 08/10/2023 and it seems to have started then.

I scheduled a service appointment to see what they say about it.
like I said here; Anybody have the slightest jerky feeling when the car engages brake hold?

I'm loving the one-touch pedal driving on my 2023 M3 but noticed when the car comes to a stop and enables the "Hold" feature, I feel the slightest movement. It feels like something is engaging under the car. Is this like a parking brake being engaged? Anyone else notice something similar to this or is this suppose to happen with brake hold?
Normal. I kinda like that it "click" in place.