Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have to delay delivery because they were out of town?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been assigned a delivery day! Yea! But, I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks and my delivery day is in that window. I realize Tesla won't hold my car and will sell it to the next lucky person in line, but what about me? Will I get a new reservation number? Will I get moved to the back of the line? I don't see any "official" think I can do online...will it all happen automatically?

I've been assigned a delivery day! Yea! But, I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks and my delivery day is in that window.

I don't understand? Didn't you get to select the delivery date from a range (3 days)?

Got my vin number on Friday. Uploaded an insurance policy card with that vin on Friday. Got a text on Sunday to schedule the delivery day. Options were September 15, 16 or 17. The text said that it had to be done by sunday night. I selected the 15th.

Why schedule a delivery when you are out of town?

I understand what is going on - there is limited space to hold these delivery cars. They must be moved out to make room for the next ones in line. If you can do not it, better just cancel your order.

I am in that exact situation: my delivery day is in the sweet spot of wine I’ll be out of town. Fortunately, my SA is willing to hold my car until I get back. Not everyone though appears to be as lucky as I am.

upload_2020-8-31_0-21-57.jpeg

I am in that exact situation: my delivery day is in the sweet spot of wine I’ll be out of town. Fortunately, my SA is willing to hold my car until I get back. Not everyone though appears to be as lucky as I am.

View attachment 582656

Unless you are going to be gone only 3-4 days, you may find that what they are telling you now is not what actually happens. As in, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they hold THAT actual vin number, rather than just getting you "another car" with the same specs... again, if you are gone more than 3-4 days.

I’ve delayed two different cars at two different delivery centers. In both cases hey either said no or only a day or two. In both cases when pushes they extended additional days. Beyond that you’ll likely have to get a another VIN / Car.

I’ve delayed two different cars at two different delivery centers. In both cases hey either said no or only a day or two. In both cases when pushes they extended additional days. Beyond that you’ll likely have to get a another VIN / Car.
Thanks. Yes, I'll be gone several weeks so my question is what is the procedure for getting another car. Does it happen automatically or do I have to do something ?

Thanks. Yes, I'll be gone several weeks so my question is what is the procedure for getting another car. Does it happen automatically or do I have to do something ?

When they call / email with your delivery date you contact them back and state you will be out of town and need to refuse delivery. They will confirm back that you are being put back in the que. Only problem I see if that you might have to do this all over again before you come back when the next one comes in. You might be able to explain and they might be able to hold the date (not a car) and restart your status when you return.

Honestly I think it's better to cancel the order and just put it in again. But you will loose the $100 deposit or whatever it is these days.

When they call / email with your delivery date you contact them back and state you will be out of town and need to refuse delivery. They will confirm back that you are being put back in the que. Only problem I see if that you might have to do this all over again before you come back when the next one comes in. You might be able to explain and they might be able to hold the date (not a car) and restart your status when you return.

Honestly I think it's better to cancel the order and just put it in again. But you will loose the $100 deposit or whatever it is these days.
Thanks. I guess it depends on who you talk to , but I called and the person I spoke with said they would cancel my reservation and enter it again a few days before I return. Sounds reasonable to me, but I'll double check to make sure it actually gets re-entered.