Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody having login problems after merging a Solar City and Tesla accounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my solar panels back when with Solar City and this summer I was notified that legacy Solar City accounts had to be merged with any existing Tesla accounts. They gave a quick explanation on how to do it and everything looked very straightforward.

Except that it was not the case because, Tesla.

I followed their instructions; essentially, email Tesla from either of the accounts to be merged, request the change and wait 72 hours for a reply.

Nada.

I tried it again a couple of times. No luck. Then I called Tesla. At first they did not understand the problem, they just wanted me to log into the Tesla app using my Solar City credentials. This would show my solar stuff but not my car, of course. So after a few tries they finally got the whole story. To their credit and to my surprise, they were on top of it. They followed up via email and phone, and after a few days, they finally got my solar panels to appear on the Tesla app along with the car.

The problem now is that I am absolutely unable to access any billing information for my solar panels. If I do it through the Tesla site, I get to the part where they send me a confirmation code to access my billing, but then the page crashes and does not go any further. If I do it through the link that comes with the billing confirmation email that Tesla sends every month, I get to a log in page, but neither my Tesla credentials nor my old SC ones seem to be valid now.

So I am essentially locked out of my billing information. I have been bugging Tesla about this for the past couple of weeks, but their only suggestion was to delete all the data from my browser and try again. It does not work.

The kicker. When I mentioned that I needed to access my billing because I wanted to check my remaining balance, Tesla said that I could always contact them via phone for that. So I did and... I was told that I would get a call with that information within the next couple of weeks. I asked them to repeat it like three times because I thought I was not hearing right. Not to be crass but... WTF?

Anybody else having this kind of issue when merging a Solar City account with a Tesla one? The way things are looking, I am afraid that unless I tell them what their issue is, I am doomed to live in 1993 for the rest of my solar lease.

Whenever anyone says ‘clear cookies’ or ‘delete all your browser info’ it’s usually BS. But all you have to do is start a private or incognito window. Just to see if it’s maybe a cookie issue.

As for the SC info in Tesla, that’s just incompetence, as usual. I had panels since 8/2018 and none of the old data is anywhere.

Whenever anyone says ‘clear cookies’ or ‘delete all your browser info’ it’s usually BS. But all you have to do is start a private or incognito window. Just to see if it’s maybe a cookie issue.

As for the SC info in Tesla, that’s just incompetence, as usual. I had panels since 8/2018 and none of the old data is anywhere.

Yep, delete browser info is the IT equivalent of "I dunno". I did just to tell them I had done it.

I will update when/if this gets resolved.

Reactions: boaterva
Yep, delete browser info is the IT equivalent of "I dunno".

Maybe... but...

I have dealt with many (many many many) peolpe over the years of my IT career, who straight out lie to me when they are describing some problem or other with something related to internet something or other, and I ask if they cleared their browser cache. They straight out lie, and when I go over to their desk and check, and their cache isnt cleared... and I clear it, and "magically" their issue is gone.

Anyway, I am not saying that would work in this case because you did it. Just saying that there are plenty of valid times / reasons to "clear cache" which is not just some IT person saying " i dunno".

On thread topic, I have solar city leased solar and have not had any issues accessing it in the tesla app. I have automatic payments on however so I am not sure what you are talking about with "checking your remaining balance".

Are you sure that tesla is not trying to get you a buyout price on your leased solar, if you said "remaining balance"?

Maybe... but...

I have dealt with many (many many many) peolpe over the years of my IT career, who straight out lie to me when they are describing some problem or other with something related to internet something or other, and I ask if they cleared their browser cache. They straight out lie, and when I go over to their desk and check, and their cache isnt cleared... and I clear it, and "magically" their issue is gone.

Anyway, I am not saying that would work in this case because you did it. Just saying that there are plenty of valid times / reasons to "clear cache" which is not just some IT person saying " i dunno".

On thread topic, I have solar city leased solar and have not had any issues accessing it in the tesla app. I have automatic payments on however so I am not sure what you are talking about with "checking your remaining balance".

Are you sure that tesla is not trying to get you a buyout price on your leased solar, if you said "remaining balance"?

Touché on the clearing the browser data part. I did it (I even tried borrowing somebody else’s computer to be extra sure that it had nothing to do with my cache) but it is not hard to believe that many people may not want to go through the trouble.

About the remaining balance. I have two Solar City systems installed at home (that is a story for another day). One of them I paid outright, the other one is a “lease to own”, which is something that they offered back in 2015ish. That is why there is a remaining balance stated on every single monthly bill, as the lease payment goes towards the total cost of the system. And since I signed up for e-billing and can no longer access the billing page, I can’t see that information anymore.

But I am glad you asked, because you made a very good point by bringing up buyout price. That is probably what they think I was requesting. And with that, I am almost ready to guess what is going on. Probably Tesla merged the accounts, but since the option that I used to get my system is no longer offered, their database just doesn’t know what to do with me. And probably the Tesla representative was not able to access my account either, and that is why she just assumed that I have a regular lease.

Thanks! I will be giving them another call tomorrow...

Touché on the clearing the browser data part. I did it (I even tried borrowing somebody else’s computer to be extra sure that it had nothing to do with my cache) but it is not hard to believe that many people may not want to go through the trouble.

About the remaining balance. I have two Solar City systems installed at home (that is a story for another day). One of them I paid outright, the other one is a “lease to own”, which is something that they offered back in 2015ish. That is why there is a remaining balance stated on every single monthly bill, as the lease payment goes towards the total cost of the system. And since I signed up for e-billing and can no longer access the billing page, I can’t see that information anymore.

But I am glad you asked, because you made a very good point by bringing up buyout price. That is probably what they think I was requesting. And with that, I am almost ready to guess what is going on. Probably Tesla merged the accounts, but since the option that I used to get my system is no longer offered, their database just doesn’t know what to do with me. And probably the Tesla representative was not able to access my account either, and that is why she just assumed that I have a regular lease.

Thanks! I will be giving them another call tomorrow...

I vaguely remember the lease to own option (I signed up for my system in 2015 as well), but at the time, I was sure I was not going to stay in this house "long term". I also did not have the money to buy the system, and the regular lease option was "no money down", so I looked at it as just switching power companies (mostly). I made them size the system to cover (at the time) 98% of my yearly usage, when they originally specced the system to cover 80%. My roof has several different transition angles, etc.

Anyway, starting to ramble here lol. Hope you figure it out. Interested to see how it comes out actually, so let us know.

Just a quick update to report... that there is no update. Spoke to Tesla a couple of times and they do seem to see my account info on their end. They were able to send me my balance, but yes, the only way they could do it was via email and requested as buyout price, which took about a week.

I got a couple of random messages from customer service asking me to try login in, so I hope there is something happening behind the scenes. But I am inclined to believe that they don't have a customer facing billing page for lease to own systems.

Just a quick update to report... that there is no update. Spoke to Tesla a couple of times and they do seem to see my account info on their end. They were able to send me my balance, but yes, the only way they could do it was via email and requested as buyout price, which took about a week.

I got a couple of random messages from customer service asking me to try login in, so I hope there is something happening behind the scenes. But I am inclined to believe that they don't have a customer facing billing page for lease to own systems.

Final update (probably) in case anybody finds themselves in the same situation.

Nothing from Tesla. They pretty much stopped replying to my emails and the problem persists when I try to access my solar account through the Tesla site.

BUT... I figured out a way to access it using the monthly email that I get to review my statement. When you click on that link, you go to some weird hybrid Tesla/Solar City page. It asks for log in, but both my old Solar City and my Tesla credentials came as incorrect. Today, I decided to try something else. I gave it my Tesla email and clicked the "Forgot password" option. When I got the email to reset the password, I just clicked on that link and gave as new my Tesla password, no changes. And it went through. Now I can see my billing info, although only through that link.

So there you go. I leave this here for future generations. Now I am going to change my settings to "paper notifications yes please all of them forever and ever".

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just got here. All has been good with my solar (city) panels for 5 years and now no power and yet my bill has remained the same despite only generating half the power for last month!
Cant find anyway to get billing information - and it appears I having been getting statements mailed to me either - my bad for not checking!

Glad to find your post, but now I have to wait the 3 weeks for Tesla CS to reply to any emails.