Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody hear there was a Tesla stolen in Melbourne, Glen Waverley?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
My mother in law was babysitting my two year old and dropped a bombshell when we came back. "So I was talking to one of my neighbours, and their Tesla was stolen from outside their house in Glen Waverley". No no, I said, couldn't of been a Tesla, you'd need the keys to steal them, and even if you did you can track where your car is. "Definitely a Tesla" she said. Can this be true? She is 76 so not sure if she is confused...! Apparently the guy said to her that a flatbed truck was noticed outside their house, and they put the Tesla on the truck and drove off. Police told them it was probably going to be used for parts. Can this be true? I thought there had only been three or so stolen worldwide. Anybody heard this story?

Reactions: Dax279
Good luck selling the parts, unless selling the batteries to someone for a conversion.
Even getting the motor to work outside the car isn't a simple feat - the controllers are digitally linked to the motor.
That being said it could be stolen using a flat bed, or potentially using one of the keyless entry repeater hacks.
Unless they found a way to quickly shield the car they'd be easy to catch though since you could track the car.

They could turn remote access off, but I assume Tesla is still able to track the car if you notify them?
I
I'm 99.999% sure that Tesla can track the car, even when remote access is turned off. I'm sure that if you reported the car stolen to them then they'd be able to help out the police, and their roadside assistance centre operates 24x7.

Can be stolen if you can get someone's Tesla account password.
Can get Tesla account password using keylogger on computer.
Can pay a small fee on darknet to get keylogger access to infected computers by the thousand, might get lucky and strike a new Tesla owner.
Can block vehicle comms using Faraday cage, such as a metal truck trailer.
Can take time to disable comms while car in trailer.
Tesla couldn't have a dead man switch in car to prevent use without recent internet connection, as this would kill cars in remote (outback) locations.

More likely a Ford Telstar. All you need to do is google "stolen Tesla Melbourne" and you would have your answer. Posting mis-information in a forum is mischievous.

Are you saying I am being mischievous? I don't think she would mix up a Tesla with another car. The guy told her it was worth over $100,000 so its in the ballpark. Would it have made news? Premium cars are stolen all the time. You know I am an owner so wouldn't create a fantasy just to knock Tesla. I will ask for further details next time I see her.

Sorry guys, spoke to my mother in law on Christmas day about the theft again and she thinks her neighbour didn't have a stolen Tesla but was another car. I think its a bit of a tall poppy thing going on. "Oh your son in law bought a Tesla? I heard one got stolen / they break down etc etc". So admin please delete, thanks.

Last edited: