Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody here tried to add different light shows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the thread on custom light show creation

and repository with detailed instructions in xLights

Here is the thread on custom light show creation

and repository with detailed instructions in xLights

I read them and that is where I got the idea. Just wondered about personal experiences trying to make it happen.

It's not hard, just particular.

You need a USB flash drive formatted for FAT. (You cannot use your dashcam USB drive, and for me, it would not work if I also had a Boombox folder on the drive)

You need a folder on that drive named "LightShow".

There should be 2 files in that folder explicitly named "lightshow.fseq" and "lightshow.mp3" (or .wav depending on how the music file was distributed). It doesn't matter what the creator of the lightshow named the files for distribution, if you don't use those exact names above, the car won't see them.

It does not support multiple shows, so you have to take the USB drive back to your computer each time you want to change the show/song. Some people buy bulk cheap USB drives so they can keep several of their favorite shows on hand in the car.

Here is another site with lots of show files.

Tesla Light Share

It's not hard, just particular.

You need a USB flash drive formatted for FAT. (You cannot use your dashcam USB drive, and for me, it would not work if I also had a Boombox folder on the drive)

You need a folder on that drive named "LightShow".

There should be 2 files in that folder explicitly named "lightshow.fseq" and "lightshow.mp3" (or .wav depending on how the music file was distributed). It doesn't matter what the creator of the lightshow named the files for distribution, if you don't use those exact names above, the car won't see them.

It does not support multiple shows, so you have to take the USB drive back to your computer each time you want to change the show/song. Some people buy bulk cheap USB drives so they can keep several of their favorite shows on hand in the car.

Here is another site with lots of show files.

Tesla Light Sh
Great! Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. Going to try it tonight. I have a SSD, do you think that is overkill to use?

I created a couple of custom light shows while my car was in the body shop for a month and a half last December. I was waiting for my car back and V11 at the same time, so I decided to try this in anticipation. It's not too difficult to create a show, but it can be kind of tedious if you are trying to perfect it, since you're trying to activate each light to the beat of the music. I found that it took some trial and error to get somewhat close to where I'd like it to be. It is kind of cool to play a custom light show you've created, and I keep the USB sticks I have these shows on in the car. I haven't played one in a long time though. Been meaning to take a video of them at some point.

Reactions: Halldawg
I created a couple of custom light shows while my car was in the body shop for a month and a half last December. I was waiting for my car back and V11 at the same time, so I decided to try this in anticipation. It's not too difficult to create a show, but it can be kind of tedious if you are trying to perfect it, since you're trying to activate each light to the beat of the music. I found that it took some trial and error to get somewhat close to where I'd like it to be. It is kind of cool to play a custom light show you've created, and I keep the USB sticks I have these shows on in the car. I haven't played one in a long time though. Been meaning to take a video of them at some point.
Nice! Would love to see them.