TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anybody here waiting for Solar Roof?

Discussion in 'New England' started by tomc603, Feb 9, 2019.

1. tomc603

tomc603 Member

I got the usual call from Tesla asking if I wanted to add solar panels since I already bought a car. I mentioned I plan on adding solar to my house in the next year or two, but that I was waiting for the solar roofing shingles rather than panels. The person I spoke to mentioned they expect to be rolling out the roofs in the NH area beginning next year.

Obviously with this being a sales person, I don't know how much info they really have on expected availability or initial deployment dates. So I figured I'd ask the hive mind of the Internet. Has anybody here signed up for and put a deposit down on the solar roof? If so, have you received any updates from Tesla on when you could expect your initial site survey, install plan, and/or install date?

2. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I put a deposit on Solar Roof the day Elon revealed the product.
    I cancelled the deposit a few months ago, having heard nothing and having seen how low a priority rolling out that product is among Tesla's competing priorities.
    I got my check pretty quickly; within a month if memory serves.

• Informative x 1
  3. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Tesla came out a couple months ago to do a site survey for a friend who is planning to get a solar roof installed but they have not scheduled the install yet. I also received a call this past week for a site survey and the Tesla representative told me the factory was gearing up for a significant ramp up this year. In my experience the Tesla sales personnel have no more idea of what's going to happen in the future than people on the forums so I take that forecast with a large shaker of salt -- just passing it on for what's it's worth (probably not much). If/when they schedule the install at my friend's house that would be a positive sign.

• Like x 1
  4. tomc603

tomc603 Member

I have to believe that even though the factory is here in the north-east, they're going to start the rollout from the south-west. There's more sunlight hours, and more open sky.

5. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

And generally better weather for the roofs to handle as well.

6. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

Yes. I'm waiting for a solar roof for my families Cape Cod home. I put down the deposit 2 months after the reveal. I've had some contact with Tesla Energy but nothing tangible. I occasionally receive and e-mail about going solar, (I have solar on our home but want to expand it) but every contact goes dark. I'll speak to my OA for my recent purchase to see if they can help. We need a new roof on the cape house and I wanted to wait for the solar roof before doing this work.

• Like x 1
  7. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I too put down a deposit for the solar roof plus 3 Powerwalls the day the roof was announced. I have made many requests via my reservations page on the Tesla site for update of status but never received a response. This past week I cancelled the order since i can no longer wait with no prospect of a timeline.

I also tried to sign up for Tesla PV panels but i simply get a message saying not available in my area. I'm on my second Tesla car and I have a Tesla wall connector but they sure don't seem to care about my "energy" business. I am going ahead with Sunpower panels + Powerwalls.

FWIW, the solar vendor, who is an authorized Powerwall installer, told me that the inside scoop is that the roof tile delay is due to problems with chipping/cracking of the tiles.

• Informative x 1