TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anybody in the Great White North get 6.1 yet?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Jan 8, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

Do we tend to get the update at the same time as the US or does it take longer to get to Canada?

2. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Software rollouts are completely random. Some Brits and Norwegians got it and some US folks. 6.1 sure looks like a lot of goodies included. Don't know how much it is Canadian customized. For instance DRL cannot be turned off in Canada.

3. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

#3 Morristhecat, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    I've always got mine at about the same time as our US neighbours. The way it is distributed is kind of random though- you may get it quickly or you may have to wait a few weeks. I don't have it yet. Really looking forward to shuffle - amazing it took 2 years for something so simple. Energy prediction looks useful too!

4. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Just checked...still no update notification on the app. The more you check, the sooner the update will come, right? :smile:

Reading through the notes for 6.1 and it sounds like a great update that everyone has been waiting for.

5. clea

clea Member

now you've gone and done it ... I have to go down to the garage in our building to check. :smile:

6. Footbag

Footbag Member

My P85D is currently in the middle of installing the update.

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

We've just been through a cold snap in T.O and that really kills the range. How does the Tesla handle the cold weather in Edmonton?

8. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Smartphone app will also notify if you have that option turned on (for the iPhone, anyway).

I've had 3-4 OTA updates, I think, since getting the car Jan 2014. The 5.x's I was, like, the *last* one to get them; the 6.0 release I actually got within about two weeks of the known release date which felt like a lottery win. No sign of 6.1 so far.

But if you don't have a smartphone I'd suggest just sitting in the car, that way you reduce the wasted time travelling between building and garage! It's gotta come soon, in the next few months at least -- hey! Maybe it's there now????? :)

9. clea

clea Member

thanks for the info but I am well aware of updates etc ... I have been an owner since March 2013 (but you knew that from reading my signature right?). this was just a failed attempt at humor. Even if I had gotten the notification I would not have activated it until I got home as I park in an underground garage at work and I imagine that any form of towing out of there would be very difficult and I have learned to have patience with the updates having gone through several of them.
    On a side note, I cannot get update notifications because I use a windows phone running third party software because Tesla has decided to only officially support two phone platforms.

10. sundoc

sundoc Member

Got the updat on mine last night :)
    Havent played with it yet though.

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

No upgrade here yet but my app is working now and I have set the Tesla Notifications to Alerts on my iPhone so it will be hard to miss when I do get it.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Just got the update!

13. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Congrats Doug. Can't wait to hear your review, especially since you have one of the "classic" model S.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Was in a big rush this morning, so only got to try one feature - the backup camera lines.

They only appear when the car is in reverse, so if you like to drive with the camera showing like I do, they disappear. The contrast against snow was okay. The arc when you turn the wheel seems reasonably accurate. Really missed having those things - a very welcome addition!

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I gotta say, I think this is bigger than 6.0. I haven't had a chance to properly test out the new trip planning/energy use prediction features, but there's a bunch of "little things" that I really appreciate:

• Rear view camera lines - been missing these for two years!
    • Energy App now retains Average/Instantaneous setting, and Average is the default (been asking for this for two years also!)
    • Press and hold FOB trunk button and the charge port pops open - huge convenience at J1772 stations. I'm always having to go back inside to pop the darn door.
    • Improved Slacker buffering with visual display

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

Don't you just have to tap the charge port door with your finger and it opens? Or is that just with the newer vehicles?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Definitely not my car.

18. SkiD

SkiD Member

Since this was my first firmware update, how long do they usually take to install?
    I swear it took over an hour and was worried for a little while that I "bricked" my car.

19. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I would generally advise having the update done overnight, so that you don't have to even be aware of it!

The notice that pops up about an update being available generally tells you that it will take some time. I seem to recall it saying something like 40 minutes, but again: just do it overnight and you don't have to worry about it.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They vary depending on how many processors are being updated, etc. 20-60 minutes is typical.

I don't know how long this one took. I got the message in my phone just as I was getting ready for bed, so I popped out to the garage, pressed the button, and went to bed.