Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody know if the emmc recall has them putting in MCU2? Or are they just replacing it with the same MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if they are upgrading the car's emmc recall with the MCU2 from Intel or if they're just replacing it with the same exact thing (which can then be prone to failure, yet again). (Plus it would be nice to get the new features on my '15)
Just a replacement of the failure-prone part... it may be worth it to upgrade to MCU2 for $1,500.

Reactions: frankp85d
Note that while it is just replacing the eMMC, they are not replacing it with the exact same component. The replacement is actually a significantly larger memory chip which is expected to provide significantly better longevity than the prior eMMC chip.

Upgrade to MCU2 is much more extensive than just replacing the chip, but involves need to replace both the main screen as well as the instrument panel screen. Reason for replacing the IP screen is that with MCU2 the IP is actually run off the same processor as main screen so they must go together. Screen cost is a big part of why MCU2 upgrade is significantly more.

Reactions: frankp85d
@frankp85d there are a number of threads on this topic that you might want to review. They go through the various puts and takes of the trade-offs between the choices. As for me, I replaced MCU1 with MCU2. My MCU was glitching and going black periodically, so I knew I was getting close to the eMMC board limit. But I also hated the slow rendering of the Nav maps, and boot time when I had to reboot. And I liked that MCU2 came with HW 3 for improved autopilot functionality should it be developed:).