Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody know the cost to drive from Denver to LA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about going on a road trip from Denver to Los Angeles this weekend. I am not sure how to calculate the cost of charging.

Does anybody know how much it would cost in supercharger fees to go from Denver to colorado?

Supercharging is roughly 10 cents per mile. A 1,000-mile trip will be about $100.

You can come up with a more accurate estimate that factors in conditions like travel speed, wind, temperature and weather by plotting your trip on A Better Routeplanner

An interesting feature for ABRP would be to include charging costs. They could crowd source current kwh pricing from their subscribers.

You could possibly shave a few bucks off your charging costs if you spend the nights at motels or hotels with destination chargers. Most, but not all, provide charging as an amenity at their establishment. You should check on PlugShare for those sites at your expected overnight stops. PlugShare will also give you an indication if those chargers are in working condition. Then, be sure to notify the desk upon check in that you selected their property because they offered charging for EV drivers.

I took our Model 3 from California to Atlanta, north to Pittsburgh, and then home last summer. I believe the total cost at SC was around $450. In addition, I charged overnight in Phoenix, Las Cruces, Dothan AL, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Concordia MO, and Denver. I don't recall the exact kWh added at those spots, but if we assume 50 per stop, that equates to 350kWh at, say, .25/kWh or a savings of $87.50.

You could also probably shave a couple bucks off your trip, if you sit down, and click on all the superchargers on the trip, on the display to check out what the rates are, and plan accordingly... I say that, because on my regular road trips, I noticed that theres a few places where the SC I stop at is 37cents/kw, but if I travel a bit further, the SC in the next county over was only 17 cents/kw.

Does anyone understand how a Supercharger costs $.26 for 4 mins, $.52 for 12 mins, $.85 for 6 mins & $1.35 for 1 min, all on the same charge at the same connection?
What was your state of charge when you arrived? I've gone to a supercharger that was $1.00 per minute for the top tier and only 20 something cents on the lowest tier. This worked out to be $1.00 per minute for only a few minutes while I was charging at 250kW. I'm guessing yours may be similar, just more expensive. Mine was like 3 minutes on top tier, and like 15 minutes on a lower tier.

The $1.35 for 1 minute could be an idling fee. When using a Supercharger always set the charge limit at least 10% higher than you plan to charge in case you are delayed returning to the vehicle.
No idle fee, we were right in the car. We just completed a 12,447 mile road trip with 105 charge sessions. We always tried to stay between 20% & 80%. Trying to make the range issues our least worry. Never got an idle fee as one of us most always stayed at the car. I just looked at the invoice again, 4 different tiers in a 23 minute session. It is listed on the invoice Tier 2, Tier 4, Tier 1, Tier 3, with Tier 4 being the 1 minute portion. It doesn't really matter, but I am a very curious guy and like to understand stuff like this.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What was your state of charge when you arrived? I've gone to a supercharger that was $1.00 per minute for the top tier and only 20 something cents on the lowest tier. This worked out to be $1.00 per minute for only a few minutes while I was charging at 250kW. I'm guessing yours may be similar, just more expensive. Mine was like 3 minutes on top tier, and like 15 minutes on a lower tier.
State of charge was 23% when we stopped. The pre-conditioning had happened and the charges were in the order listed, or the way it is listed on the invoice. This was the most extreme of 22 charge sessions billed by the minute. We had 74 charge sessions that ranged from $0.29 & $0.54 per kwh, with $0.38 being a median price. I understand those invoices much better than the ones billed by the minute.

The pricing tiers are defined by the charging speed. Faster charging (low state of charge) is a higher tier than slower charging (higher state of charge).

To see the pricing tiers, click the Supercharger pin on the map, then click the little info icon next to the per-minute price.

No idle fee, we were right in the car.

Never got an idle fee as one of us most always stayed at the car.

“Idle” doesn’t mean whether or not you are “sitting in” or “at” the car. The charger doesn’t know if a human is present. It only matters whether the car remains plugged in once you reach the charge limit set in the car and the Supercharger site is >80% utilization (meaning, other cars are likely to be waiting to charge now or soon).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
“Idle” doesn’t mean whether or not you are “sitting in” or “at” the car. The charger doesn’t know if a human is present. It only matters whether the car remains plugged in once you reach the charge limit set in the car and the Supercharger site is >80% utilization (meaning, other cars are likely to be waiting to charge now or soon).

Idle fees are charged when the site is greater than or equal to 50% utilization.

No idle fee, we were right in the car. We just completed a 12,447 mile road trip with 105 charge sessions. We always tried to stay between 20% & 80%. Trying to make the range issues our least worry. Never got an idle fee as one of us most always stayed at the car. I just looked at the invoice again, 4 different tiers in a 23 minute session. It is listed on the invoice Tier 2, Tier 4, Tier 1, Tier 3, with Tier 4 being the 1 minute portion. It doesn't really matter, but I am a very curious guy and like to understand stuff like this.
I am tripping on your road trip. Wow!!!