Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody miss Tesla's Silver paint option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hill

high fiber member
Apr 21, 2015
either MT or TN
by the time we switched from our. 2016 MS to the 2018 MX, it was gone. No more silver ... never mind the gray leather & perforated/vented leather & working sunroof. sellers remorse. anyway - when you see so many silver cars running around the landscape you'd think it would be popular enough that Tesla wouldn't have killed it off.

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_075350.jpg
    IMG_20221012_075350.jpg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 1,755
Pre refresh owner here of silver grey.
Quite happy to drive some sort of unicorn around here.
I found the 3 looked also nice in that color. Don’t fully understand the decision, but I guess Tesla has the data and silver grey was not so popular.

I've owned several silver cars over the years and really liked how they tend not to show dirt. Somehow, they almost always look clean. But I eventually got bored of silver and moved on. Really, it's kind of a bland color. It seems like 80% of the cars on the roads are black, white, silver, and grey. Yup, basically all grey tone colors.

I do love white cars that have black accents though. The Stormtrooper look never gets old.

Reactions: MikloVL and Jpandes
Silver is not the color for me, but I do wish Tesla would expand their lineup of colors. They allegedly were going to do just that (which included bringing back a silver color) but that has not materialized.

I'm not sure why Tesla thinks they need the "most advanced paint shop" to offer additional colors. Maybe they do if there's something special about those paints, but otherwise just offering some other colors would be nice. The crimson is my personal favorite.

Reactions: KyleDay
I considered Metallic Silver for my first Model S (2016) but went with Midnight Silver Metallic instead. Metallic Silver was no longer available when I ordered my current 2018 S so I went with white. I’ll probably go back to MSM for my next S, but if regular silver is available again I might consider it.

I purchased my 2016 Model S that was delivered on December 21, 2016. I would have waited until 2017 to buy one but the Tesla representative at the Tesla show room said that Tesla was going to stop building silver cars. I will not buy another one until the silver color comes back. Silver, Black, and White are the top 3 selling colors so I do not understand why they stopped selling it. Come on Elon, please start selling the light silver again,

If they do bring back silver, hopefully they’ll offer it with chrome trim instead of black. I don’t personally like the black trim on white cars, which is one reason why I wouldn’t get white the next time (I have chrome trim now), but black trim on a silver car would be even worse.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
When I was getting close to ordering in the spring of 2015, I went to a service/delivery center to look at the cars in person to help me choose a color. they must have had a recent delivery because the lot had quite a few new cars in various colors. But I happened to be there on a gray day with snow in the forecast -- a few flakes fell when I was there. In that light, all the dark colors looked the same! I could not distinguish a blue from a black from a brown or a green (Yes, the brown and green were still available then). The only car that stood out was a silver one. So I decided to order that color. But I was still deciding on options like air suspension and audio system and interior color, etc., so I took a couple more test drives. By the time I went to order in late July 2015, the silver was gone! I was disappointed, and I chose the multi-coat red (with gray leather upholstery). I have in fact been very happy with the red -- it still looks good after 7 years, despite my parking it outside. But every now and then I see a silver car and they still look nice! Especially with a sunroof -- the black offsets the silver nicely.

I do agree that there seem to be a lot of silver cars, but the Tesla silver is somehow a very nice, distinctive color.
If I were to order another Tesla and silver were available, I do not know what I would do -- the red has a sort of cachet that I like. But I agree that tesla should bring back silver and/or add more colors (in the interior, too).

When I was getting close to ordering in the spring of 2015, I went to a service/delivery center to look at the cars in person to help me choose a color. they must have had a recent delivery because the lot had quite a few new cars in various colors. But I happened to be there on a gray day with snow in the forecast -- a few flakes fell when I was there. In that light, all the dark colors looked the same! I could not distinguish a blue from a black from a brown or a green (Yes, the brown and green were still available then). The only car that stood out was a silver one. So I decided to order that color.
Funny how we had similar experience. We also went to see the car colors that they had. They actually had quite a lot: with the P85D announced, many P85(+) orders had been cancelled/converted, hence an abondance of cars.
I got to chose the car, and my wife was going to chose the color. Inside, under the bright lights, she chose the dark blue (don't recall the exact name). It really looked great, and I was also sold. But then moving to the front of the store, we saw one of their test car in that color parked outside. Under our quite frequent grey sky: it was a complete different view. So we went back and chose the silver one.

But every now and then I see a silver car and they still look nice! Especially with a sunroof -- the black offsets the silver nicely.

This: the contrast with the black sunroof is really working for me. Much like with white, but white was vetoed by my wife.

Note that when I park mine next to a refresh S with also silver grey, they are different: the refresh's is lighter, closer to white. I do prefer the one we have.

And similar to you: car has always been parked outside, but never been to carwash: always by hand, with microfibers. I'm a bit maniac about keeping this car looking like new. :cool: