Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody miss Tesla's Silver paint option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My silver (on white) P100D is my favorite color. But it looks right with the chrome trim all around, whereas it might not look that great with black trim that is now the norm.
Looks terrible. /sarcasm ;)

1.jpg

That looks great. Though a very different look.
I'm just anti-chrome to the core so you can't show me a color that I think the chrome looks good on. I can appreciate that others like it but it's just not my thing. I've always been that way and either buy vehicles that don't have it (just ordered an F150 Lightning Lariat because everything is color-keyed or black) or go to extensive lengths to get rid of it immediately. The most recent example of that is that I've done chrome delete on all seven of my Model S's, sometimes the day I get it home. I even bought a Toyota Tacoma previously and got the Off-Road to get all of the features that come with that and proceeded to source all of the matching (Pyrite Mica... such a cool color) parts from the Sport model. I'm getting a little off topic but I guess the point is I really don't like chrome an am happy with how my vehicles currently look. 😂

If they do bring back silver, hopefully they’ll offer it with chrome trim instead of black. I don’t personally like the black trim on white cars, which is one reason why I wouldn’t get white the next time (I have chrome trim now), but black trim on a silver car would be even worse.

Really? I love black trim. It's a really popular thing these days and I think it looks great on all colors. In the world of Audi, it's called the "Black Optics" package and it basically blacks out everything that would otherwise be aluminum or sometimes even chrome finish. I particularly like the way it looks on white cars.

Top colors for 2022, according to KBB:

Top 8 Colors for 2022

Each year, Pantone puts out a list of popular colors. For 2022, Pantone’s Color of the Year is “Very Peri,” a soft blue with a violet-red undertone. Pantone says it “displays a sprightly, joyous attitude and dynamic presence that encourages courageous creativity and imaginative expressions.”

There’s no trend report for 2022 just yet. However, check out PPG’s PPG’s 2021 list of the top car colors in North America for all vehicle categories shows a few changes compared to 2020 data:

1. Silver/Gray (34% – up 3%)
  2. White (24% – down 2%)
  3. Black (18% – down 1%)
  4. Blue (12% – up 2%)
  5. Red (7.5% – down 1.5%)
  6. Red (9%)
  7. Green (2%)
  8. Natural (1.5% – down 1%)
  9. Other, Two-Tone (1% – up 0.5%)

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Silver will be back when they figure out a way to do the whole fleet in stainless. No more paint in the factories!
When that happens I will have officially bought my last Tesla. There is nothing that looks more tacky on a car then all stainless. In fact, I thought the Cybertruck looked god awful until I saw some renderings in different colors. The overall design isn't nearly as offensive as I initially thought when I first saw it in actual colors. It really doesn't look nearly as bad as what they're showing off currently in test form.

C025752E-FABC-4D6E-AE40-815C1ADD7EF6.jpeg
Avery SW silver metallic, Avery matte black over piano black trim, Avery black chrome on door handles. I dig the results.
I was half tempted to do the piano black trim in chrome just to make people who would know have to scratch their head for a sec. I still may once I get bored with the black.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrapps
Top colors for 2022, according to KBB:

Top 8 Colors for 2022

Each year, Pantone puts out a list of popular colors. For 2022, Pantone’s Color of the Year is “Very Peri,” a soft blue with a violet-red undertone. Pantone says it “displays a sprightly, joyous attitude and dynamic presence that encourages courageous creativity and imaginative expressions.”

There’s no trend report for 2022 just yet. However, check out PPG’s PPG’s 2021 list of the top car colors in North America for all vehicle categories shows a few changes compared to 2020 data:

1. Silver/Gray (34% – up 3%)
  2. White (24% – down 2%)
  3. Black (18% – down 1%)
  4. Blue (12% – up 2%)
  5. Red (7.5% – down 1.5%)
  6. Red (9%)
  7. Green (2%)
  8. Natural (1.5% – down 1%)
  9. Other, Two-Tone (1% – up 0.5%)
Lumping silver and gray together is how I thought of silver until I saw the Model S in Tesla's lovely silver in 2015....The new cars with silver seem lighter, almost white.

Each to his own. I am not a fan of matte finishes on cars. To me, they look like unfinished paint jobs waiting for their top coat.
Hard to imagine a matte silver. Seems like a contradiction in terms.....One is shiny and the other is...dull.
But maybe I have not yet seen the right one.
the piano black trim was done in matte, the silver is gloss. Now I’m really wanting to see a matte silver in person.