Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody replaced their Tesla HID headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly haven't found any information on this, only on non tech package headlights. But it seems my left headlight is flickering, and now going off and on so im assuming the HID is dying. I have a 2015 so i kinda expected it to last a little bit longer...but its a tesla right? Is there any way to replace this not at the service center? I live about 150 miles away from the nearest one and although i am under warranty, would rather not spend a day driving up, only to find out they would have to keep the car over night and have to stay in a hotel or drive back and waste another day of driving.

Surprisingly haven't found any information on this, only on non tech package headlights. But it seems my left headlight is flickering, and now going off and on so im assuming the HID is dying. I have a 2015 so i kinda expected it to last a little bit longer...but its a tesla right? Is there any way to replace this not at the service center? I live about 150 miles away from the nearest one and although i am under warranty, would rather not spend a day driving up, only to find out they would have to keep the car over night and have to stay in a hotel or drive back and waste another day of driving.

I have a 2013 P85 and one headlight would die, I'd have to turn off the headlights, then turn them back on and it would start working again. It would happen occasionally. Service could not find the issue having the car overnight until they went to wash the car and then it happened for them. They said it was the HID igniter and the entire assembly would need to be replaced as the igniter was not a serviceable item. It cost about $900 per side to replace the entire assembly (My car is out of warranty). I might have had a special snowflake situation, so far no headlight issue, but the first rain since the service will not happen until Thursday. I should have better confidence by then that it corrected the issue.

I have a 2013 P85 and one headlight would die, I'd have to turn off the headlights, then turn them back on and it would start working again. It would happen occasionally. Service could not find the issue having the car overnight until they went to wash the car and then it happened for them. They said it was the HID igniter and the entire assembly would need to be replaced as the igniter was not a serviceable item. It cost about $900 per side to replace the entire assembly (My car is out of warranty). I might have had a special snowflake situation, so far no headlight issue, but the first rain since the service will not happen until Thursday. I should have better confidence by then that it corrected the issue.

I've had this same issue multiple times and it's always been a bulb that was on the fritz.. I would change the bulbs before paying anything that crazy.