Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody sold their recent Model S and have tips/pointers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2016.5 (Dec) Model S 75D in like new condition. Uncorked, OEM 21's, premium upgrades, hifi, EAP, next Gen seats, all glass roof. 17k mi. Crystal Blk/Blk.

I'm looking to change cars for a variety of reasons. I don't really want to go the dealer route because they just see "2016" and don't understand the difference between an AP1 vs AP2 car, a car that has been uncorked, the fact that it started as a 60D but was software upgraded to 75, has the all glass roof, etc.

So I'd like to find the right private buyer. Unfortunately, in WA if you don't trade through a dealer you have to pay ~10% sales tax on the full purchase value of the new car, which is $8-10k. If you trade through a dealer you only pay tax on the difference in principal between the new car and the trade in.

I've heard of dealer "sell throughs", where you bring a private party to a dealer who agrees to purchase your car at a pre-negotiated price, and you buy the new car from the dealer and they "sell it through" to the private party while also giving the benefit of Sales Tax reduction. But this sounds like a lot of work, and I don't know anyone personally who has done it.

So, long story short. Has anyone sold their lightly used model S recently? Ideally in a Sales Tax state? Any advice, tips, pointers, suggestions?

Cheers!