TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anybody try the Nankang 21" tires?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BlkCld, Sep 9, 2015.

1. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

Just wondering if anybody has tried the Nankang AS-1 performance 245/35/21?
    I have gone through two sets of Contis that only last 8000 miles on the rear of my P85. The fronts are lasting double without rotating.
    Only threads I could find seemed to be about 19s but the threads were in Dutch I believe.
    I was looking for feedback on the 21" size.
    I have read a bunch of mostly good reviews for that brand for other cars and was thinking about it since they wear out so fast anyway.
    Feedback good or bad?????
    Please no discounting credibility because they don't have commercials playing every 15 minutes.

2. Jool

Jool Member

I haven't used that particular model, but my experience with Nankang tires is that they work okay, but that's about it. Definitely a budget tire - don't expect great tread life, grip (especially in wet conditions) or noise/road comfort.

They're fine if you want to save money and you're burning through tires fast due to performance use (like at a track) but honestly I would spend a little more to get better tires.

3. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

Thanks that was my thought as well.

4. TheFro

TheFro Member

The Nanking tires offer a 40000mi tread-life warranty, which is just insane for 21" tires.

Nankang AS-1 | Nankang

I've been doing a lot of long distance driving in my P85 and have burned through 2 sets of tires in a year so I may give these a shot.

5. jpaz

jpaz Member

The ONLY disappointment in my P100D is the 21" wheels. This was an "inventory" purchase with everything else I wanted so I could not switch the wheels when new. I'll see how it goes but wonder about changing to 19" wheels vs more frequent tire replacements. When the tires are shot, will look into replacing the Conti's with another brand depending on what I see posted. Let us know how the Nankang tires work out. Thanks.

6. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

IMG_5622.PNG 40,000 mile warranty

7. mambro

mambro Member

They keep getting cheaper. Yes, they have a 40k "warranty" but according to Discount Tire, the wear has to be even. Anybody at all try these? Anyone.. anyone...?

Nankang Tire AS-1--04252018.jpg

8. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Haven't tried those but I like Hankook tires. I honestly don't notice a difference between the Hankooks and the Michelin PS2s the car came with. Currently $179 @ tirerack so not much more.