Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody try the Nankang 21" tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anybody has tried the Nankang AS-1 performance 245/35/21?
I have gone through two sets of Contis that only last 8000 miles on the rear of my P85. The fronts are lasting double without rotating.
Only threads I could find seemed to be about 19s but the threads were in Dutch I believe.
I was looking for feedback on the 21" size.
I have read a bunch of mostly good reviews for that brand for other cars and was thinking about it since they wear out so fast anyway.
Feedback good or bad?????
Please no discounting credibility because they don't have commercials playing every 15 minutes.

I haven't used that particular model, but my experience with Nankang tires is that they work okay, but that's about it. Definitely a budget tire - don't expect great tread life, grip (especially in wet conditions) or noise/road comfort.

They're fine if you want to save money and you're burning through tires fast due to performance use (like at a track) but honestly I would spend a little more to get better tires.

The ONLY disappointment in my P100D is the 21" wheels. This was an "inventory" purchase with everything else I wanted so I could not switch the wheels when new. I'll see how it goes but wonder about changing to 19" wheels vs more frequent tire replacements. When the tires are shot, will look into replacing the Conti's with another brand depending on what I see posted. Let us know how the Nankang tires work out. Thanks.

IMG_5622.PNG
40,000 mile warranty

After getting only 13000 mi on 21" Hankooks for my P85, I thought of an idea that I wanted to run by the forum. The Hankooks are directional but the Nankangs are not, I am pretty sure. This won't work with directional tires but how about taking the rear tires after about 4000 or 5000 miles and removing them off the wheels and flipping them so that inside tread becomes outer thread? This is an unusual "rotate" method but makes perfect sense unless I am missing something important. Anyone have thoughts about this?

After getting only 13000 mi on 21" Hankooks for my P85, I thought of an idea that I wanted to run by the forum. The Hankooks are directional but the Nankangs are not, I am pretty sure. This won't work with directional tires but how about taking the rear tires after about 4000 or 5000 miles and removing them off the wheels and flipping them so that inside tread becomes outer thread? This is an unusual "rotate" method but makes perfect sense unless I am missing something important. Anyone have thoughts about this?
While they may not be directional, the pic above shows they are not asymmetrical, ie there is probably a stamp saying “Outside” on the sidewall, which would negate your idea.
Model S just eats rear tires. It’s an unfortunate cost/tax of driving this beast. 21” along with SAS set on low exacerbates things, but we all take it in stride even though it’s painful for the wallet.

While they may not be directional, the pic above shows they are not asymmetrical, ie there is probably a stamp saying “Outside” on the sidewall, which would negate your idea.
Model S just eats rear tires. It’s an unfortunate cost/tax of driving this beast. 21” along with SAS set on low exacerbates things, but we all take it in stride even though it’s painful for the wallet.
Yes, I think you're right. After I posted this, I looked at Tire Rack's Vredestein Quadrac Pro description and it described that the inner tread is different than the outer tread. They serve different purposes and can't be flipped. Perhaps, a tire mfr will make a special Tesla tire that has beefier inner tread to offset this problem. The tire rack guy told me that it is crucial to do the first rotation at 3000 miles or greatly shorten the life. I didn't know or follow that. I sure will do that now!

It's geometry, typically the lower a car goes, the more camber results. Camber (as well as toe) causes wear. Most sports cars or cars that are designed to handle well, have some camber from factory. It compromises tire wear for handling. Some cars you can realign to have the camber dialed out, but as I understand it, the Model S does not have camber adjustments (so I've heard).

Outside of that, the weight of the car, and the type of tires affect tire wear. Performance tires that are stickier, usually wear quicker, compromising wear for handling. Tires designed for more miles, are typically harder compound.

In the early 90's, the NSX was criticized for its excessive tire wear. I think it was like 2-3k miles. It had a very aggressive alignment, super soft compound tire, and the weight of the engine was almost right on top of the rear wheels. You could, adjust alignment and change tires and get 30k miles out of another set of tires. But it would not handle anywhere near as well as before. Just an example.