Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody use the stock rims with their Winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Hakka R3's put on my 18" aero rims by Kal Tire on Oct. 9. No snow here yet but the temps are getting colder and I wanted them on before the inevitable rush!

The plan is to take the factory Michelin tires and get some new wheels to use in the spring. Maybe a set of Replika R187...

If you want Replika rims, you might want to order them quickly. I got an update from Wheelwiz on my back order. They're expecting 2000 rims from the factory and only 29 are available. The current eta is December 7th.

New Was this the big batch that was supposed to originally ship for Nov 23?

Yes. Although they told me Dec 1st, not Nov 23, when i ordered the Replika's 187 (18") about a month ago. Wheelwiz just sent a note saying its delayed till Dec 7th.

Going to swap my new Winter rubber with the stock rims and TPMS. Will put the original rubber on the Repika's when the Winter ends.

Yes. Although they told me Dec 1st, not Nov 23, when i ordered the Replika's 187 (18") about a month ago. Wheelwiz just sent a note saying its delayed till Dec 7th.

Going to swap my new Winter rubber with the stock rims and TPMS. Will put the original rubber on the Repika's when the Winter ends.

When did you order from them? I contacted Wheelwiz in late Oct and they had said Nov 23. Partsengine said the same then. I just called them and it's now Nov 21 even.

Had my new X-ice3s installed on the Aero rims last week by Cody at mobiletire.ca. They came to me. Very professional. Would highly recommend!

Attachments

• 6F8B4367-35D0-4AD3-8282-3D1C0832D2C1.jpeg
    6F8B4367-35D0-4AD3-8282-3D1C0832D2C1.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: Trevlan006
I put nokian wrg3 Which is an all weather tire on my X 20 inch rims last winter. The hakkas we're not available at the time. Nokians sell out quick. Got it done at kal tire. I then put the stock tire on Tsportline rims I had ordered. I put sensors that I bought from tirerack.

Here is my Tsportline referral for $50 off if anyone would like.

T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Nokian hakkas and Michelin xice are the best rated winter tires. I have both in different cars and have no complaints. Currently have wrg3 on the model X, had no problems at all last winter even though it's an all weather tire.

I used my OEM 18" rims with the Nokian R3's and put the aero wheels back on to increase range, as I noticed a reduction with the colder temperatures lately. I like the look of the Replika's, but have a few months to decide which rim to put on in the spring but planning to use the stock Michelins for summer again.

I have the R3's on my Model 3 now, with the Xice on my other car (3rd season with them). So far the R3 feels more "squirmy" than the Xice3 but seems to have a more aggressive tread, so I'm expecting better snow traction. My M3 is RWD, unlike the other vehicle which is AWD. I think the Xice seems to be very similar to the summer tires, meaning I barely notice the difference in driving whereas the R3's changed the handling on the M3 by a fair bit. Both are great tires, but if I had the AWD M3, I'd lean towards the Xice with better ride and comfort and RWD go with the better snow traction of the R3's - just my 2 cents. I also find the R3's are a fair bit noisier that the stock Michelin's - not sure if anyone else has noticed the tire volume increase at speed?

Reactions: Tony_YYZ and eepic
When did you order from them? I contacted Wheelwiz in late Oct and they had said Nov 23. Partsengine said the same then. I just called them and it's now Nov 21 even.

I ordered October 10th.

Here is the email I received:

Robert here from Wheelwiz.ca
This is an email to notify everyone who has a backorder pending with us for the R187 Replika wheels for your model 3.
This email is to update you on the ETA of these wheels.
The previous ETA was set to November 30th, and has since been updated to December 7th.
Please note this delay is completely out of our control and we wish we could serve you quicker.
Please also note that out of the 2000 wheels that are on order, only 29 are left and will likely be sold out before the end of this week.
Here is a direct screenshot from Replika's system.

• Informative
Reactions: Munch
I used my OEM 18" rims with the Nokian R3's and put the aero wheels back on to increase range, as I noticed a reduction with the colder temperatures lately. I like the look of the Replika's, but have a few months to decide which rim to put on in the spring but planning to use the stock Michelins for summer again.

I have the R3's on my Model 3 now, with the Xice on my other car (3rd season with them). So far the R3 feels more "squirmy" than the Xice3 but seems to have a more aggressive tread, so I'm expecting better snow traction. My M3 is RWD, unlike the other vehicle which is AWD. I think the Xice seems to be very similar to the summer tires, meaning I barely notice the difference in driving whereas the R3's changed the handling on the M3 by a fair bit. Both are great tires, but if I had the AWD M3, I'd lean towards the Xice with better ride and comfort and RWD go with the better snow traction of the R3's - just my 2 cents. I also find the R3's are a fair bit noisier that the stock Michelin's - not sure if anyone else has noticed the tire volume increase at speed?

I put Nokian R3's onto my stock aero wheels this weekend, definitely surprised by the whirring noise of the tires. Maybe it's because there's no engine noise to drown it out but it's a (very mild) annoyance at highway speeds. Folks on other forums say this will go away after a few hundred kms... really hope it's true.

That said no regrets on this choice if the snow/ice handling is as good as everyone says. Waiting for a nice dump of snow now to test them out :D

Installed Continental WinterContact SI tires on the stock 18” Aero wheels. I don’t notice any difference in tire noise - about the same as the stock Michelin’s. However, handling on dry pavement is definitely not as sharp. I’m ok with the trade off if traction is improved in winter conditions.

Reactions: Trevlan006
Installed Continental WinterContact SI tires on the stock 18” Aero wheels. I don’t notice any difference in tire noise - about the same as the stock Michelin’s. However, handling on dry pavement is definitely not as sharp. I’m ok with the trade off if traction is improved in winter conditions.

It's a little off-topic, but do you have regen issue after winter tires installation? I have same set up and I have significant reduction in the regen braking.
Thanks,