TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anybody want an 85kWh battery pack for a project?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by yobigd20, May 4, 2014.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I browse ebay to see what cool Tesla things are up for sale and I came across this Tesla Model s 85 85KWH Main Lithium Battery Less Then 500 Miles | eBay

Clearly not mine. Not like I tripped over an extra battery pack laying around in my garage, lol but I thought I would post it here for all you crazy electrical do-it-yourselfer's in case you were looking for a giant battery pack for some sort of crazy project. lol enjoy

I also wonder where this battery pack came from. I am assuming from salvage or something. They are asking $29k. pretty steep for a project unless moneys not an issue for you.

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I looked at buying a floater (flood car) to use the battery for home storage. For some reason I have a huge bug to reverse the battery and motor/inverter communication. So far I have resisted the urge. I like Tesla and have no desire to get sideways with them or otherwise give them any reason to have concern. Going back to the original point, support from Tesla for such things as salvage auction cars and "spare batteries" is ZERO. I tried to determine when the flood car last transmitted and what the error codes were so as to determine the possible state of the battery before it shut down. Tesla was unable to assist citing privacy concerns. Buying a battery off Ebay and asking Tesla to use their battery conditioner to determine the battery's state of health would likely meet the same end.

3. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

The picture looks like it was taken in the Tesla factory. Notice it is sitting on a "smart cart"

4. yobigd20

Yea I saw that. Made me think either that is a tesla account selling the battery (not likely) or it is not a photo of the real battery pack being sold (likely).

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Listing does not even mention battery pack revision. That is a sure fire way not to get any bidders.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would be very cautious about bidding on that item. No information is provided by the seller as to how they came into possession of a used Model S battery or what it's history is.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yes, could be a scam.

8. yobigd20

maybe the auction is for a picture of an 85kWh battery pack, as seen. hahaha