Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody worn out their brake pads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sig P85
44718 miles
March 13, 2015

( Abbreviated: )

Performed four wheel alignment as requested.
Perform courtesy inspection.
(various details unrelated to this thread)
Concern: Client reports persistent rust on brake rotor hats.
Correction: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis
Inspected and verified excessive corrosion on brake rotor hats. Updated parts now available to address this concern.

Corrections: Brake Rotors - Front - Set
Replaced the front brake rotors with updated units as needed.
FRONT BRAKE ROTOR WITH AS-CAST OUTER HAT (1025099-00-B)

Corrections: Brake Rotors - Rear - Set
Replaced the rear brake rotors with updated units as needed.
REAR BRAKE ROTOR - OUTER HAT AS CAST (6006431-00-D)
Concern: Technician notes that front brake pads are worn to 2mm, recommends replacement.
Corrections: Brake Pads - Front - Set
Found front brake pads to be worn to minimum thickness during rotor replacement. Replaced brake pads.
FRONT BRAKE PAD AND NOISE SHIM KIT (6006429-00-B)

I'm betting on displays being the terminal point of failure. They're in a relatively high-vibration environment and could have mechanically-induced failures. Some of the components will quickly become obsolete (especially processors), and Tesla might not be able to build one-for-one replacements. Will they commit to re-engineering the display hardware for old cars? More to the point, will they commit to porting the software?

I don't see that as a problem in a car, which should have carefully segregated components, a set of black boxes talking to each other. In fact, the displays are something you should be able to upgrade since they're just providing user interfaces.

I'm betting on displays being the terminal point of failure. They're in a relatively high-vibration environment and could have mechanically-induced failures. Some of the components will quickly become obsolete (especially processors), and Tesla might not be able to build one-for-one replacements. Will they commit to re-engineering the display hardware for old cars? More to the point, will they commit to porting the software?
I don't think the displays will fail but they are likely to be superseded by higher resolution and faster processors. All of this should be backwards compatible so should not have any software problems if you want to upgrade the display. If you look at computer software today, it's all designed to run on displays with various sizes and resolutions.
My older car which I have kept is a 2000 Land Rover with 180K miles. I haven't driven it much since the Tesla but will keep it around for deep snow days and off road travel. I keep it running with judicious application of wrenches and money but probably won't replace it until something major like the engine or transmission fails (and even those items can be replaced for much less money than a new car).
I'll probably keep the Tesla "forever" since I don't anticipate it having much to wear out or fix.

Source is a graph in the 2004 New Car Features manualView attachment 80716
Note that there is almost always some friction braking.
Depends on the scale of the vertical axis showing brake force. If most moderate braking is in that first section then it is all regen until the very end.

Or if someone gradually depresses the brake with increasing force over time they could easily stay within the regen curve the entire time until the very end.

I don't see that as a problem in a car, which should have carefully segregated components, a set of black boxes talking to each other. In fact, the displays are something you should be able to upgrade since they're just providing user interfaces.

I would be very surprised to see the displays upgraded without the processor. The Tegra3 is quite a dog in the embedded ARM space, quite a kudos to Tesla that they can actually run it at 1080p because it doesn't like more than 1.5x overdraw.

My guess is that if they do end up upgrading the display it'll be with a different processor and all the fun(porting) that comes with that. Tegra3 and Tegra2 sold pretty abysmally so I don't know if there is a ton of stock out there. Then again in the volumes that those processors are typically sold(20M+) 100k worth of cars is pretty small.

Because of regenerative braking, the brake pads get little wear. I was wondering if anybody has worn out their brake pads?
(I'm not talking about compulsive people who have replaced them "just in case" or replaced the pads because they didn't like the OEM pads, etc.)
Has anyone actually worn out a set of brake pads?

I haven't placed my order yet, but when I called the Costa mesa service center to ask how much it costs for a brake job, the gal told me she'd have to ask someone because she has never booked a brake job.

It raises a rather interesting question. I suspect most of us sell, scrap or get rid of our ICE vehicles when the engine ultimately is no longer worth servicing or we just want something new. What is going to be the point of failure in a Model S that would cause an owner to purchase a new vehicle assuming the car is never in an accident? Battery packs will likely improve and come down in price, the motors are all replaceable for what I suspect would be a reasonable price. Brakes will essentially last for hundreds of thousands of miles? What is the failure point for the vehicle in 10 to 20 years other than the desire to get something newer and better?

My wife and I intend to hold on to our car for as long as possible. We expect to replace the battery eventually, but other than that it's not impossible to imagine a Model S being a viable car in 20-30 years. I just hope Tesla will still support it in 2045.