Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone able to get Tesla solar to install on something other than a "normal house"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're building a roof over a deck that is attached to the house on one side, but supported by big posts on the other. The whole thing was designed by a structural engineer and is being built with permits that have passed the Building Dept.

However, I've been told by Tesla that they have a policy against installing anything that is "not supported by three solid walls". Sunrun, SunPower, and others don't seem to have that limitation.

I'm just looking for any examples of where you able to work around this with Tesla. Like my "awning" arrangement or, perhaps, a totally detached structure of a patio.

I realize this is a long shot and Tesla Energy is certainly a bureaucracy. But I'm hoping to find one or two examples that can serve as a precedent that I can play back to them.

Thanks from Oakland!

However, I've been told by Tesla that they have a policy against installing anything that is "not supported by three solid walls". Sunrun, SunPower, and others don't seem to have that limitation.
I have only anectdotal experience from other posts on this forum that Tesla is inflexible.
The good news is that the Rapid Shut Down requirements may not apply and therefore you might be able to get a competitive bid from a smaller installer if that is the case in Oakland.

Are you saying that the rapid shut down requirements may not apply because it's an unenclosed, uninhabited space?

PS. Tesla's inflexibility on this is baffling since they happy to install on my main roof that has all sorts of different angles, vents, and obstructions and not on a pristine rectangle that has zero obstructions. If they were going to bullheaded about it, you'd think it would be the other way around.

We're building a roof over a deck that is attached to the house on one side, but supported by big posts on the other. The whole thing was designed by a structural engineer and is being built with permits that have passed the Building Dept.

I'm just looking for any examples of where you able to work around this with Tesla. Like my "awning" arrangement or, perhaps, a totally detached structure of a patio.

I realize this is a long shot and Tesla Energy is certainly a bureaucracy. But I'm hoping to find one or two examples that can serve as a precedent that I can play back to them.

Thanks from Oakland!

This thread is relevant :

Short answer is, no, tesla wont do it, you will need to get a third party to look into installing on something other than a regular roof. Vines discusses possible reasons why.

Since sunrun / sunpower etc dont seem to have that distinction, thats where you should look.

Trying to force tesla to do something they dont want to do, even if successful, would likely just lead to a WORLD of frustration.

This thread is relevant :

Short answer is, no, tesla wont do it, you will need to get a third party to look into installing on something other than a regular roof. Vines discusses possible reasons why.

Since sunrun / sunpower etc dont seem to have that distinction, thats where you should look.

Trying to force tesla to do something they dont want to do, even if successful, would likely just lead to a WORLD of frustration.
Thanks!

Obviously, this isn't answer I was looking for, but I guess I have to accept that Tesla is a dead option.

We had our solar roof installed covering our "portechocere" (covered open driveway) which was contiguous with roof covering the garage and house.
That area is open only with columns (no walls).
No issues / problems before or after install.