Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone actually get Overtake Acceleration on TACC working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
I have 2020 model with 2020.20.12

If im trailing a car below my TACC speed, and the left lane is clear, I want to signal left and have the car speed up to overtake (while manually controlling steering)

This is from the manual:

Overtake Acceleration
When following a vehicle with Traffic-Aware
Cruise Control active, briefly engaging the
turn signal (to indicate a move into the
passing lane) accelerates Model 3 towards the
vehicle ahead.
By momentarily holding the
turn signal lever up or down, you can quickly
accelerate up to your set speed without
having to press the accelerator pedal.
The turn
signal causes acceleration only when all of the
following conditions are met:
• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is operating
and detects a vehicle in front of you.
• No obstacles or vehicles are detected in
the target lane.
• Model 3 is traveling below the set speed,
but over 72 km/h.​

But whether I hold down the stalk at half-press or full-press, the car either stays at the same speed or slows down. If im going at 100kph limited by the car ahead with TACC set at 130kph, and the left lane is indicated and its clear, the car simply wont accelerate to 130kph..... sorta annoying

Mine works the same as the adaptive cruise on my Buick. It will slow down to match the speed of a vehicle that I am overtaking. However, it maintains its base speed setting in memory. If I move into an unobstructed passing lane it accelerates back to this base speed and maintains it. Nothing more, nothing less. I use the turn signal only as the common courtesy for signaling the lane change.

I just posted my similar experience on Tesla forum and got only one unhelpful response. Based on OP's comments, I'm not the only one having problems with this feature but I'm surprised there isn't more pushback on getting it working properly. What I expected is like the behaviour of my previous Subaru Forester with Eyesight - as soon as I selected the turn signal, it would disregard the conflicting traffic ahead and begin to accelerate toward my set cruise speed as I started to change lanes. As described in the manual, this features should make TACC behave just like my own driving style, but the way it works now feels very strange.

Since I received my 2021 Model Y with basic autopilot in November, the Overtake Acceleration feature described on page 87 of the latest (Oct/20) owner's manual has never worked for me. I carefully followed the prescribed procedure but every time the car does not accelerate until it fully reaches the middle of the passing lane. I finally raised a service report and submitted multiple time stamp examples of these failures. All of my examples were reviewed and in most cases the required conditions were met but for each one, Tesla found a reason that the Overtake Acceleration did not activate. In the end, they closed the service request.

I actually think that TACC should be looking into the target lane and adjusting speed accordingly as soon as the flasher is engaged. If for some reason I pull in behind another car going slower than me, TACC allows me to close on it until I am in the same lane, then decelerates aggressively if my following distance has gone below the default setting. I usually have to disengage autopilot to avoid this sudden braking.

Before banging my head against the wall with Tesla again, I'd like to request some feedback from the community. Does this feature work as described on your vehicle? If so, do you have basic AP or FSD? TIA for your input.

Reactions: Gydgyxgocgk
Anyone familiar with the old story about America spending millions to develop a pen that will work in the micro-gravity of earth orbit, and the Russians just used pencils instead?

That's why I use the accelerator....

Sure, it's the easiest way - as long as you don't mind the pop-up warning that emergency braking might not work. I'd still prefer the car to work as it's supposed to!

Wondering if the following distance has something to do with this feature. Does it act the same on minimal follow distance vs. max? If I think about it I will test mine out, got a '21 with 3 months of FSD so... worth a test.

What I can tell you, not very related, is when I drive on the interstate and have AP FSD engaged, and I turn on the signal/blinker to change a lane... it very comfortably lets me take over the steering wheel (disengaging auto steer) and accelerator myself. I did this several times on day one, not remembering I had FSD and not really knowing what I was doing. But when I try to disengage autosteer at high speeds with AP FSD engaged but do not signal, I have to jerk the steering wheel over pretty hard and uncomfortably. One time I just wanted to avoid a pothole with auto steer engaged, and it was just very tricky to do at the last second. Don't know where I'm going with this, b/c I love autosteer on straight interstates in general.

I did several tests with no other vehicles around to change lanes on the interstate, and it does it with the blinker just fine. I know this isn't helpful to your question, just relaying what I've seen so far. Interested in if people can find a way to get it to accelerate consistently.

I think Overtake Acceleration only works if you have Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. My old SR+ with autopilot wouldn’t do it.l from what I remember. But my LR with FSD does start to accelerate when I hit the turn signal. But idk maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks - that's one explanation that I suspected, but Tesla Service still looked into my report without any mention of needing FSD for this function to be active, and the owner's manual doesn't suggest this either. In my view it's an essential element of a basic ACC system.

But when I try to disengage autosteer at high speeds with AP FSD engaged but do not signal, I have to jerk the steering wheel over pretty hard and uncomfortably. One time I just wanted to avoid a pothole with auto steer engaged, and it was just very tricky to do at the last second. Don't know where I'm going with this, b/c I love autosteer on straight interstates in general.
I have played with autosteer and it requires full signal (not momentary position) in order to reduce the autosteer disengagement force. It's still the steering wheel movement that disengages autosteer, but if you signal the disengagement is smooth. I agree that if you don't signal (or only push the stalk against the spring) the car will jerk when it disengages. TACC speed control stays active throughout - it only disengages with a brake pedal push or upward movement of the right steering column stalk.

• Helpful
Reactions: calidreamz808
Anyone familiar with the old story about America spending millions to develop a pen that will work in the micro-gravity of earth orbit, and the Russians just used pencils instead?

Apologies for being a nitpicker... I know this post wasn't meant to be overly serious, and many people realize this story is just a mostly-harmless parable... but others take it at face value.

FACT CHECK: NASA's 'Astronaut Pen'

Thanks - that's one explanation that I suspected, but Tesla Service still looked into my report without any mention of needing FSD for this function to be active, and the owner's manual doesn't suggest this either. In my view it's an essential element of a basic ACC system.

Same as Momo here. After we got FSD the Model 3 speeds up as it changes lane. Before FSD it didn't do anything before being well into the new lane.

Same as Momo here. After we got FSD the Model 3 speeds up as it changes lane. Before FSD it didn't do anything before being well into the new lane.

That’s interesting to note. I’ll see if mine will do that next time. I’ve never been impressed with auto-lane change in either of our Teslas and never thought the accel to overtake function ever worked. For me it just meanders across the lane and then starts to speed up. If it speeds up before or during the lane change then I haven’t really noticed.

Tesla Service finally advised me that this feature is only available with FSD option, which I had suspected but this makes no sense to me. When navigating on autopilot in FSD, you can elect to allow the car to make lane changes by itself, so the feature is redundant. FSD (or Enhanced Autopilot) also includes lane change on signal when Autosteer is engaged, but this requires the driver to select the full signal position. According to the manual, Overtake Acceleration only works with the signal stalk in the momentary position so it wouldn't be activated with auto lane change. So, it seems to me that an FSD-equipped car can only take advantage of it while operating in simple TACC speed control mode - which works exactly the same as a vehicle with basic autopilot.

Reactions: calidreamz808
My honda does this right now, just change lanes and it accelerates to pre determined speed, model 3 gonna be a downgrade in the criuse control dept., but I am getting for the acceleration, and electrification (be my own pump) aspects.

My honda does this right now, just change lanes and it accelerates to pre determined speed, model 3 gonna be a downgrade in the criuse control dept., but I am getting for the acceleration, and electrification (be my own pump) aspects.

The Model 3 does this too after it has changed lanes. This feature is supposed to allow it to start accelerating just before and during the lane change, but doesn’t work very well IME.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have the same issue and find it quite frustrating.
If the speed is set to 70 and the car ahead is 50, it’ll slow to 50.
Then I indicate and move into fast lane but it doesn’t begin to speed upto 70 till I'm completely in the lane and it recognises nothing this front.
By this time I have 3-4 cars already piled up behind me wondering what I'm doing in the fast Lane at 50mph.

Reactions: StiTChEs37
Yes, agreed this is disappointing I couldn't get it to work on standard autopilot.

I have overtake acceleration on my MB SL450, and was pleasantly surprised the first time it worked so well. That said, I would not be surprised to see the Tesla system overtake the one in my MB given the OTA updates. I've only owned my M3 since the beginning of the year, and already seeing improvements. I just noticed today it no longer renders the big mailboxes columns in my neighborhood as trashcans.

I have the same issue and find it quite frustrating.
If the speed is set to 70 and the car ahead is 50, it’ll slow to 50.
Then I indicate and move into fast lane but it doesn’t begin to speed upto 70 till I'm completely in the lane and it recognises nothing this front.
By this time I have 3-4 cars already piled up behind me wondering what I'm doing in the fast Lane at 50mph.
Even worse, if you realize you're closing quickly on the car ahead and start to move out of its lane, Tesla will continue to decelerate until you're completely in the passing lane, then start to speed up toward its set cruise speed. Apparently this feature is only included with FSD, which makes absolutely no sense. FSD (or Enhanced Autopilot, for the few 2020 customers who had that option available) includes lane change on signal in Autosteer, but that requires the full flasher selection rather than momentary flasher that is required to activate Overtake Acceleration. In FSD Navigate on Autopilot, the car can do everything for you including lane changes so again this feature would not be used the way it is described in the manual. It should be offered with basic autopilot, because that's the configuration that can actually take advantage of it. Tesla's approach is totally illogical.

Reactions: holmgang