Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone actually get Overtake Acceleration on TACC working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One possible conclusion was that the manual misstated the feature, and that it's only available with FSD.

My car is on the EAP demo, and that doesn't work either. OR, put another way, initiating a manual lane change doesn't work well, at all:

1. Hold down stalk
2. Takes a few seconds before computer confirms possible lane change (draws white box on blue lane)
3. Nudge the steering wheel just perfectly right to start the change -- if too light, it does nothing; if too heavy, it breaks out of the entire EAP!!!! <--- frustrating!!!
4. Maintain stalk held for duration of change. If not, car will violently swerve back to original lane <--- frustrating!!! when performing car-initiated change, this is not required

And at the same time, the change speed and movement isn't really quick or natural regardless of any of the 3 change urgency settings. In even medium traffic, youre kinda anxious at how the car might be disruptive to other drivers. And on the autobahn where i tested it, where cars can be going +25%, +50%, +75% speed on the passing lane, it is a complete non-starter.

Ok. I thought this was related to the original post you made, and was about TACC. The manual entry you quoted was pretty specific to TACC, and doesn't sound like something that would apply to NoA. Forgive if I misunderstand what you're trying to relate.

Ok. I thought this was related to the original post you made, and was about TACC. The manual entry you quoted was pretty specific to TACC, and doesn't sound like something that would apply to NoA. Forgive if I misunderstand what you're trying to relate.
The convo did sway to and fro as we speculate a higher level of feature (eg EAP) might be required to get it to work as described.

Unfortunately none of it seems to carry through, and honestly something that “simple” (single stalk manual override of TACC+auto steer), personally I would find more valuable than NoA

Even worse, if you realize you're closing quickly on the car ahead and start to move out of its lane, Tesla will continue to decelerate until you're completely in the passing lane, then start to speed up toward its set cruise speed. Apparently this feature is only included with FSD, which makes absolutely no sense. FSD (or Enhanced Autopilot, for the few 2020 customers who had that option available) includes lane change on signal in Autosteer, but that requires the full flasher selection rather than momentary flasher that is required to activate Overtake Acceleration. In FSD Navigate on Autopilot, the car can do everything for you including lane changes so again this feature would not be used the way it is described in the manual. It should be offered with basic autopilot, because that's the configuration that can actually take advantage of it. Tesla's approach is totally illogical.
I've just resorted to either being the knob that moves and remains slow for ages. Or the good ol accelerator.