Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone actually tested Unplugged vs MPP or Ohlins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've read through every single luxury coilover thread on this forum.

I currently have the unplugged performance luxury coilover kit but I'm looking for an even softer, more compliant ride.

Would MPP or Ohlins ride softer/more compliant? Anyone here actually tried and compared two different brands??

I currently have the unplugged performance luxury coilover kit but I'm looking for an even softer, more compliant ride.

Would MPP or Ohlins ride softer/more compliant? Anyone here actually tried and compared two different brands??
I have MPP on mine and it is definitely softer and more compliant, BUT the car is still responsive and remains very sporty. The feel is still stiff and planted, but the edge is taken off large bumps and roadway imperfections. I have a strong suspicion that none of the aftermarket coilovers will get you to say, a Lexus level of comfort, nor do I think they were designed to achieve that.

Find something with adjustable high speed compression and rebound. I don’t think you want a softer spring but a more finely tuned shock absorber.
There isn't anything on the market with that adjustment, High speed compression aka high speed bump is reserved for race dampers. KW makes the Clubsport but those are not available on these cars. The closes thing is the Ohlins with its stepped adjustment.

• Informative
Reactions: miracj and tm1v2
Find something with adjustable high speed compression and rebound. I don’t think you want a softer spring but a more finely tuned shock absorber.
That would be a 4-way damper through MCS, JRZ, Penske or Ohlins TTX line. Got $15K to spend? For ride quality you just need the best dampers you can afford and near stock spring rates. Ohlins R&T with stock rates will ride better over all the sharp little bumps because of the DFV technology. If you want a Caddy ride that wallows up and down, get a twin tube based system with super soft springs.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2

One of the best dampers with one of the best linear rate springs available on the market today. If you don't mind giving up some of the performance, custom tailored spring rates can give you the soft ride you are looking for.
IMG_4176.jpg

There's no way it rides worse than stock when tuned properly.
I dunno...what are the KW V3 spring rates? If they're super stiff springs, there's only so much a damper can do to disguise that, no?

There was another forum member struggling to get good ride quality out of the V3's on this car. It sounded to me like they come with very firm springs but they didn't know the rates. My impression was the V3's for this car give very sporty, responsive handling but not much comfort focus. Sounded stiffer than MPP Sport or Redwood Performance Sport (in a subjective sense - again I don't know the actual spring rates).

If I remember right that other person would've preferred something like the Redwood GT or MPP Comfort, but couldn't use them in their country because of strictly enforced certification requirements for suspension components. 🤷‍♂️

That would be a 4-way damper through MCS, JRZ, Penske or Ohlins TTX line. Got $15K to spend? For ride quality you just need the best dampers you can afford and near stock spring rates. Ohlins R&T with stock rates will ride better over all the sharp little bumps because of the DFV technology. If you want a Caddy ride that wallows up and down, get a twin tube based system with super soft springs.
The car definitely wallows when stock.

Lack of rebound damping and excessive compression damping are main issues of the OEM dampers.
Or being cheap *sugar* designed my idiots. Same thing, really. :)

I have nothing nice to say about OEM Tesla suspension. The Ohlins clean up the mess by using extremely expensive components. If it were all properly done from the start, that'd be nice. That'd also mean a stiffer chassis and more weight, cutting range and efficiency.

I am buying an i4 m50. Did I mention that?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Or being cheap *sugar* designed my idiots. Same thing, really. :)

I have nothing nice to say about OEM Tesla suspension. The Ohlins clean up the mess by using extremely expensive components. If it were all properly done from the start, that'd be nice. That'd also mean a stiffer chassis and more weight, cutting range and efficiency.

I am buying an i4 m50. Did I mention that?
Increase in compression damping to make the vehicle more responsive and have gradual height changes, basically removing some pitch, dive and squat without having to use higher spring rates.

If you hop on the BMW forum, the BMWs all suffer similar damping issues although not as drastic as the Tesla. The G chassis is one of the best BMW, you can really feel how rigid the chassis is and the suspension at work. You will have much more options with suspension upgrades with a BMW and none of the silly lack of camber adjustment for the rear and excessive camber after lowering.

Here us a G20 M340i with Ohlins and Swift spring.
IMG_3892.jpg

Increase in compression damping to make the vehicle more responsive and have gradual height changes, basically removing some pitch, dive and squat without having to use higher spring rates.

If you hop on the BMW forum, the BMWs all suffer similar damping issues although not as drastic as the Tesla. The G chassis is one of the best BMW, you can really feel how rigid the chassis is and the suspension at work. You will have much more options with suspension upgrades with a BMW and none of the silly lack of camber adjustment for the rear and excessive camber after lowering.

Here us a G20 M340i with Ohlins and Swift spring.
I very much wanted stiffer springs. Otherwise I'd be bottoming out on hard bumps that I hit way too fast. The harder springs kinda suck on dips, though.
I drove the i4 M50 hard on my road, and it didn't have the issues the Tesla has. It could conceivable change with the bigger wheels I'm getting, but then I can go buy some lightweight wheels and fix the issue.

I very much wanted stiffer springs. Otherwise I'd be bottoming out on hard bumps that I hit way too fast. The harder springs kinda suck on dips, though.
I drove the i4 M50 hard on my road, and it didn't have the issues the Tesla has. It could conceivable change with the bigger wheels I'm getting, but then I can go buy some lightweight wheels and fix the issue.
@Jigglypuff How were the i4 seats, both for cruising comfort, and in terms of holding you well in hard cornering? I'm hoping better for both than the 3/Y seats...

@Jigglypuff How were the i4 seats, both for cruising comfort, and in terms of holding you well in hard cornering? I'm hoping better for both than the 3/Y seats...
They were OK. They do have adjustable bolsters, and certainly better than the Teslas, but nothing like a proper track seat. I ordered with the ventilation, so they don't even have the adjustable bolsters. I think my legs will be fine. If I really wanna go fast at the track, I'd get proper race seats.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2