Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone actually using advanced summon for real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting a new thread to not take an existing one in yet another new direction.

So now with a few days of the masses getting advanced summon we get the videos of all the experiments, the "I went out and tested it" anecdotes, the "I found a real use for this feature", etc. But, does anyone actually use it to accomplish its intended purpose? That is, come pick me up at the front door since it's raining, or I have to get out of a tight spot in the parking lot and can't open my driver's door, or... you get the picture. The real use cases for this feature.

So far it's all been testing and finding limits. Anyone trust it enough to actually use it?

I’ve only been in the “just testing it out” crowd for smart summon, but already before, I’ve used boring summon (move forward or backward) pretty regularly when blocked in by another driver in a parking garage/lot to move the car forward/backward enough to open the doors more easily.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Two cases where I see using SS
- Pouring rain (somewhat rare in Seattle Metro)
- To move the car in / out of the garage (to switch cars, for eg)

If it works in my office parking area (unlikely, because it is a multi level parking lot), I'd use it everyday. Just like now I use auto park daily.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I won’t use it. Even when it doesn’t drive dangerously through a parking lot, it just arrives to me and stops sideways in the middle of the lane, very awkwardly. Honestly I’m surprised they released this feature.

At least when autopilot messes up someone is behind the wheel to take over and correct.

Reactions: croman
I won’t use it. Even when it doesn’t drive dangerously through a parking lot, it just arrives to me and stops sideways in the middle of the lane, very awkwardly. Honestly I’m surprised they released this feature.

I’ve found it does a good job of not hitting things so I wouldn’t call it dangerous. It needs refinement though.

At least when autopilot messes up someone is behind the wheel to take over and correct.

As long as Elon Musk said it is Beta software, Tesla will use full legal team to deny any liability.

So far, Tesla will most likely be in Beta release until other companies will FCS too. We paid to be testers, not buying supported features.

I used it this morning when exiting a building. I was parked in the far end space and I had the car pull out and stop in front of the door. I began the summon as soon as I could see the car and that the area in front of the parking row was empty and by the time I exited the two doors of the vestibule and crossed the sidewalk, the car met me in front of the door. It was very nice.

Tried using it today in my work parking lot. No cars in front of the car or the sides. 1 suv parked behind. I start smart summon and it backs up! I aborted, regular summoned the car up a foot and restarted. The car backs up again. I gave up at that point because I wasn’t convinced or wasn’t going to back into the suv behind it. Any thoughts??

Yes, you need an updated phone app too. But it’s been out for iOS and Android now at least a few days...maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling it? You need both V10 on the Tesla and the updated phone app for Summon to work.

It’s neat. A gimmick for now, but still an indication of the future!

Used it in a fairly busy parking lot at the gym. Pulled out of a parking spot and it made all the proper adjustments to get to me. It required backing out of a spot, driving away from me, making a left onto a street and another left to go down the parking lane where I was at.... freaking amazing.

It also made some buff dude jump when he saw noone was inside :D

Pouring with rain in Seattle and I used it in a quiet parking lot .. car cleanly backed out of parking space and drive right over to us about 100 yards away. Several passers-by stopped and were somewhat amused and impressed.

Two cases where I see using SS
- Pouring rain (somewhat rare in Seattle Metro)
- To move the car in / out of the garage (to switch cars, for eg)

If it works in my office parking area (unlikely, because it is a multi level parking lot), I'd use it everyday. Just like now I use auto park daily.
I suspect it uses satellite imagery to plan the route to the target. So it won’t work undercover like a multistory parking structure unless you’re on the top floor! I say this because it is not working on my driveway. The blue line that appears on the app shows an intended path encircling my house (across grass and through two fences) rather than up the driveway it is sitting on. My driveway has a tall tree next to it, and the satellite image shows it covering the driveway, so I think that is the cause of the wrong path. Fortunately even though I kept my finger on the “come to me” button, it stuttered and stopped before going onto the grass.

Maybe Tesla could use wintertime satellite imagery, when bare trees might reveal the optimal path needed.

Reactions: croman