Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone add EAP just before the delivery for $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took 24 hours for the auto steer indicator to show up (as well as it option to show in the menu). It will still take 25-50 miles for the auto steer to calibrate before you can actually use it (there will be indicators saying that autopilot is still calibrating--if you haven't gotten that yet, they haven't pushed it to you)

It is frustrating that EAP not enabled even after a week. They claim service tech can not do that, it is engineering team, and for some reason they could not do it (no explanation). They say it is already escalated, but do not know what is going on.

I can't believe they screwed up not enabling before hand, and they could not fix it even after 1 week.

@chinnam3 - Did this get resolved for you? What are you looking for to confirm that EAP has been enabled on your car?

I ask because I think I may have the same issue - added EAP very late, and it's listed in my account but no clear indication in the UI that I have the functionality. I have an Autopilot menu in the "quick controls" UI, but don't see a specific reference to autosteer or TACC. I think someone mentioned you'd get some sort of warning UI that you have to agree to once it gets enabled. Can't recall if I may have excitedly opted-in to that at delivery time when I was browsing through menus, or if it only shows up AFTER the 70+ mile calibration is complete.

@chinnam3 - Did this get resolved for you? What are you looking for to confirm that EAP has been enabled on your car?

I ask because I think I may have the same issue - added EAP very late, and it's listed in my account but no clear indication in the UI that I have the functionality. I have an Autopilot menu in the "quick controls" UI, but don't see a specific reference to autosteer or TACC. I think someone mentioned you'd get some sort of warning UI that you have to agree to once it gets enabled. Can't recall if I may have excitedly opted-in to that at delivery time when I was browsing through menus, or if it only shows up AFTER the 70+ mile calibration is complete.
Yes, they finally added after 10 days. It was escalated to engineering team, after several follow ups they finally enabled it. After enabling I was able to see Auto Steer option, and TACC. Yes, now it is working.. auto-steer repeated same farce like California MX where it tried to take exit on left from carpool lane at the last moment despite highway was straight. It was scary moment @ 70MPH with cars closely following when I yanked control from auto steer. It needed more effort to take over than I expected. Hence there were couple of swerves to get it under control. I talked to Customer support and submitted a detailed report including actual location Lat/long, speed, direction of travel etc. But it seems they did not care, did not even bother to look at video I made for them.

Looks like either customer support for Model 3 is bad, or it was always like that but for reason for Tesla fanboys does not want to show it in negative light whatever the cost may be.

Reactions: Asad1087
I added EAP about 2 days before my delivery, did not have to pay a change fee or the extra $1000. Similar to others here, it showed on my paperwork but was not activated on the car at delivery. I pointed it out to the sales advisor, and it was pushed to my car sometime later that evening. It was available to use on my very next drive.

It was scary moment @ 70MPH with cars closely following when I yanked control from auto steer. It needed more effort to take over than I expected. Hence there were couple of swerves to get it under control.

Practice. After using it for a while, these sorts of things are nothing as long as your hands are on the wheel at all times. You can feel it happening before you see it and it really doesn't take much torque to take over, but it does take the correct kind of torque.

Tesla has just indicated they intend to once again offer a free trial period to existing vehicles.

You can try out the feature and decided if it is something you might like to add on. No mention at what price the autopilot addition will be.

For many the Autopilot is a compelling part of the Tesla ownership experience.

Anyways, took delivery of my M3 and to my disappointment, they forgot to add EAP despite my configuration has been updated online and I paid for it atleast 2 days in advance.

Initially they said they will push it remote, but later Tech connected and did something(I was going over many body fit and finish issues). I was told it is added, but I am not seeing TACC or Autosteer enabled even after driving 70 miles sofar. I could only activate standard cruise control. (Yes, I have driven friends M3 and tried those features). So, I will give one more day and see how it goes before calling them again.

Yes, they finally added after 10 days. It was escalated to engineering team, after several follow ups they finally enabled it. After enabling I was able to see Auto Steer option, and TACC

Yep, exactly what happened to me like I wrote earlier. Had to be escalated and took days of waiting and hours on the phone. Not surprised it happened to the other poster too. It has to be the most common last minute configuration change and since it's purely software, you'd think they would be equipped to enable it faster.

I added EAP about 2 days before my delivery, did not have to pay a change fee or the extra $1000. Similar to others here, it showed on my paperwork but was not activated on the car at delivery. I pointed it out to the sales advisor, and it was pushed to my car sometime later that evening. It was available to use on my very next drive.
How did you determine it wasn't activated? How did you know when it WAS activated? I'm trying to figure out the difference here :)

Tesla has just indicated they intend to once again offer a free trial period to existing vehicles.

You can try out the feature and decided if it is something you might like to add on. No mention at what price the autopilot addition will be.

For many the Autopilot is a compelling part of the Tesla ownership experience.

I got the free trial on 8/23/18. The only aspect that works is TACC, which my 8 year old Benz has. Autosteer says it's on when I look at settings while in park. When driving the blue autosteer icon becomes greyed out and it doesn't keep me in a lane. Don't know why they offer a trial on something that isn't functioning yet.

I got the free trial on 8/23/18. The only aspect that works is TACC, which my 8 year old Benz has. Autosteer says it's on when I look at settings while in park. When driving the blue autosteer icon becomes greyed out and it doesn't keep me in a lane. Don't know why they offer a trial on something that isn't functioning yet.

It's like sticking something in the wrong hole.

You not knowing what you are doing doesn't mean the product isn't working.

Read the manual on how autopilot works.

You may want to get that checked. Autosteer works fine for me in the trial. Perhaps one of your cameras isn't working or something?

It's like sticking something in the wrong hole.

You not knowing what you are doing doesn't mean the product isn't working.

Read the manual on how autopilot works.
Since I'm doing what it says, it does mean that it isn't working on my car. If there's more that I need to do to make it work, it should be added to the manual. One can't be expected to know if it's not said anywhere. Thanks for the condecending, instead of helpful, response.

Since I'm doing what it says, it does mean that it isn't working on my car. If there's more that I need to do to make it work, it should be added to the manual. One can't be expected to know if it's not said anywhere. Thanks for the condecending, instead of helpful, response.

I didn't even have cruise control my first week of Model X ownership. Something my 1987 Nissan Maxima had.

8 year benz comparison was ridiculous in my opinion so apologies for the snarky reply.

To get the best feel for how autopilot works under ideal conditions is to get on a divided highway that is straight and has well defined lane markings.

Being in the middle lane of 101 or 280 should work as a good test bed.

Autopilot works in less than the ideal conditions but when learning, best to start with safer roads. If it can't lane keep and steer better than any other system you have ever used - it probably needs service as suggested.

Good luck.. let us know how it goes.

I didn't even have cruise control my first week of Model X ownership. Something my 1987 Nissan Maxima had.

8 year benz comparison was ridiculous in my opinion so apologies for the snarky reply.

To get the best feel for how autopilot works under ideal conditions is to get on a divided highway that is straight and has well defined lane markings.

Being in the middle lane of 101 or 280 should work as a good test bed.

Autopilot works in less than the ideal conditions but when learning, best to start with safer roads. If it can't lane keep and steer better than any other system you have ever used - it probably needs service as suggested.

Good luck.. let us know how it goes.
After 100 miles I was on 280 and it's still greyed out. If it's because it's calibrating, they should say that on the settings screen. My point in mentioning my car was that TACC isn't revolutionary at this point, self driving is, but auto braking is really more standard now than 8 years ago. Just like nav and airbags.