Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone add EAP just before the delivery for $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally had EAP, but later after reading all sorts of EAP issues, mistakes I removed it for safety reason as we tend to get used to not pay attention.

But now I am thinking if I should add it now.? If I want to add it before delivery (delivery in a week and payment not made but no finance needed), can be added for usual $5k? Anyone done that?

The hardware is relatively cheap compared to the overall cost of the car. It's the software development that's expensive.

I will disagree with you here but not lazily with a thumbs down. :)

PX2 drive units are more powerful than two GTX Titans which MSRP of 1200 each.

Considering GPU go above MSRP - this is a lot of hardware into each and every Tesla.

They still los on $5000. They really need $10000 scaled across hundreds of thousands of cars annually.

8000/min is a huge cash burn.

Considering GPU go above MSRP - this is a lot of hardware into each and every Tesla.

They still los on $5000. They really need $10000 scaled across hundreds of thousands of cars annually.

They are definitely not losing on enhanced autopilot. The margins are very large on the first production models relative to other oems. I would also argue that you can't out the price you did on the graphics processing hardware because they're not of the same caliber nor application and these are also purchased in volume. They wouldn't have taken such a huge risk to put the hw in all cars if it was not a profitable add on - it just wouldn't make sense.

You can't directly compare pricing for distinctly different chips (GTX vs PX2), nor consumer retail pricing to contract manufacturer pricing. There is no way Tesla is losing money on EAP.

I added it 1 day before taking delivery. The purchase agreement reflected it correctly, but someone dropped the ball somewhere and EAP didn't get activated. They wouldn't even look into it further before I drove over 200 miles to get through the possible longer calibration period. It took about 4 days for them to straighten it out and I had to call back at least 3 separate times, spending at least 2-3 hours on the phone with them.

So yes, it's possible, but don't be surprised if it gets screwed up.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
This may not pertain to the direct experience of anyone here but since I’m in NJ where EVs aren’t charged sales tax, am I correct to assume that if I add EAP this week (I take delivery Friday!), I won’t pay sales tax on that $5k since it will be considered part of the car’s initial sales price?

Thanks for all prompt replies. My sales rep said yes I can add, and asked him to. Hopefully, I would not run into any issue like SDKoala.

But I am still not sure about trusting at all. Just a day ago Tesla S crashed into firetruck at stop light at full 60MPH. Not sure if this is EAP failure or basic AEB function failures.

But I am still not sure about trusting at all. Just a day ago Tesla S crashed into firetruck at stop light at full 60MPH. Not sure if this is EAP failure or basic AEB function failures.
All of these systems are currently driver ASSIST features, not full autonomy. They make driving easier by lessening the constant cognitive load on the driver.

I like to equate it to a new hire. You're promoted to supervisor, watching over the car and making sure it doesn't screw up. 99% of the time, it's rock solid, but every now and then it misses something, makes the wrong decision, or enters a scenario it isn't equipped to handle. So you need to be prepared to jump in and take over.

There are thousands and thousands of Tesla owners that use Autopilot every day without incident. But any time there's an accident with a Tesla, regardless of the circumstances, it makes the news because Tesla is a sexy and exciting and controversial company led by a brash, brilliant, billionaire. Tesla wrecked? Cars wreck every damn day. Statistics show that when used appropriately, Tesla Autopilot is significantly safer than a human driver alone. Tesla caught on fire after a wreck? Yeah, that happens with gas cars too. But it also takes a severe wreck to get to the point of puncturing the battery pack (fire departments are going to need more training on how to handle battery fires).

You can't directly compare pricing for distinctly different chips (GTX vs PX2), nor consumer retail pricing to contract manufacturer pricing. There is no way Tesla is losing money on EAP.

GDDR is still GDDR.

Even without consumer market pricing, how cheap do you think the equivalent of special purpose, low production equivalent of 6 Titan X is going to cost?

MSRP of those is $7,200. $5,000 for EAP is a good ball park to try to squeeze a little bit of margin on the COGs.

Thanks for all prompt replies. My sales rep said yes I can add, and asked him to. Hopefully, I would not run into any issue like SDKoala.

There’s no failure. Please read. Why Tesla's Autopilot Can't See a Stopped Firetruck

There's no Titan level performance of any generation going on here.

Tesla's HW 2.5 revision has a single GP106 GPU for compute which is what you'd find in a GeForce 1060. Ignoring that margins are different for such custom applications with large orders, and various components / costs unnecessary (such as marketing and such), a 1060 should cost no more than it's launch MSRP ($200-250 depending on memory configuration and such), and far less in reality. Don't be blinded by the GPU price explosion due to crypto mining - these sorts of supply contracts are not affected by that. The actual cost of the GP106 chip, 2x Tegra Parker SoC, RAM, etc is likely under $500. Yes, RAM pricing has creeped up over the last few years, but not enough to reach the prices you're thinking the board would cost.

The cameras and radar are likely to cost less than $300 combined, maybe far less. As these plus the HW2.5 board are all included in the base vehicle for safety features, you can consider them to be part of the base cost of the vehicle and thus EAP is pure profit from a per-vehicle standpoint (ignoring software development costs, which are spread among all sold vehicles, but are in total fixed regardless of number of vehicles sold).

Anyways, took delivery of my M3 and to my disappointment, they forgot to add EAP despite my configuration has been updated online and I paid for it atleast 2 days in advance.

Initially they said they will push it remote, but later Tech connected and did something(I was going over many body fit and finish issues). I was told it is added, but I am not seeing TACC or Autosteer enabled even after driving 70 miles sofar. I could only activate standard cruise control. (Yes, I have driven friends M3 and tried those features). So, I will give one more day and see how it goes before calling them again.

Also, mine came with 2018.18.2 and prompted for update right away. It updated to 2018.18.3 last night and as many said release notes mentioned about Auto High beam and mediaplayer update.

Anyways, took delivery of my M3 and to my disappointment, they forgot to add EAP despite my configuration has been updated online and I paid for it atleast 2 days in advance.

Initially they said they will push it remote, but later Tech connected and did something(I was going over many body fit and finish issues). I was told it is added, but I am not seeing TACC or Autosteer enabled even after driving 70 miles sofar. I could only activate standard cruise control. (Yes, I have driven friends M3 and tried those features). So, I will give one more day and see how it goes before calling them again.

Also, mine came with 2018.18.2 and prompted for update right away. It updated to 2018.18.3 last night and as many said release notes mentioned about Auto High beam and mediaplayer update.
Yeah same thing happened to me. I had to call it in and it eventually showed up in 24 hours.