Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone added Autopilot after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not buy Autopilot on my wife original Model 3 for a couple of purposes:

1. A lower reported price resulted in a lower insurance premium. This worked flawlessly. GEICO increase in annual premium from a used 2012 Hyundai Elantra to the new Tesla Model 3 Long Range was $50, making the "deferred" $1,000 extra cost for Autopilot

2. Several reports indicated that Autopilot was still in major development on Model 3, no summons, etc.

3. I did not want to look for the extra money right at the end of the year.

After hearing of several improvements to Autopilot on Model 3, it is time to consider getting the Autopilot option. The Tesla "SHOP" site still does not have this as an option. Has anyone tried to get the Autopilot option after initially purchasing the Model 3 without it?

If they do it the same way as the S and X, it will show up in the "Manage" portion of your My Tesla Account, not in the Tesla Shop area. I did not buy it originally either, but have the option to purchase it within the Manage section.

Reactions: DMack
I have done this already on our Model 3. We intentionally didn't include it in the original purchase, but planned on adding it immediately afterward. I tried to pay for it "prior to delivery" for $5k, but that didn't fly.

Anyway, I paid $6k after delivery by calling the service center. They started a repair order, called me for the credit card number and then they were able to enable it remotely from the service center. It started working after calibration period ended.

It still is not reflected on my "Vehicle Details" page a week later, but that'll get ironed out soon enough.

I have done this already on our Model 3. We intentionally didn't include it in the original purchase, but planned on adding it immediately afterward. I tried to pay for it "prior to delivery" for $5k, but that didn't fly.

Anyway, I paid $6k after delivery by calling the service center. They started a repair order, called me for the credit card number and then they were able to enable it remotely from the service center. It started working after calibration period ended.

It still is not reflected on my "Vehicle Details" page a week later, but that'll get ironed out soon enough.
Well how do you think it compares to your S with AP.... I'm picking up M3 next Saturday and was thinking of waiting until it gets dialed in. I feel like my "S" AP is not that smooth. Wife has newer Honda Crv with Lane assist and adaptive cruise and its much smoother staying between the lanes.

Did you have to pay tax on the $6000 purchase?