TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone applied door seals (for noise) per this video / tweet?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 10, 2019.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

• Like x 1
  2. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

There have been a few complaints about seals, what with the water running into the boot, and the road noise. I am surprised that Tesla didn't go further with seals to give the cars that premium feel.

One of my current cars, is the luxo-barge for the manufacturer and has thick rubber and velvet all round. The velvet runs along the door tops and the rubber runs everywhere else, like: everywhere.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

I'm considering this, but I feel that most of the air noise comes from the top of the window so I'm not confident door seals will help much.

• Like x 1
  4. insaneoctane

I think I notice road noise the most, personally. Still, the video demonstrated a dramatic difference in sound when closing the door from the outside of the vehicle.

Also, as someone who regularly washes their vehicle themselves, there is a lot of grime found in the areas that would be sealed as a result of the videos recommended seals and I'm thinking it might help that too

5. mike123abc

mike123abc Member

#5 mike123abc, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Road spray definitely makes its way under the door. I am always having to wash the bottom ledge inside the door. It looks like these seals may help with that. I definitely think the model 3 has a lot of road noise. I would like to know if it helps with that.

Well it was only $10 each on amazon, so I decided to splurge $20 and get them and try it out.

6. Node-1

Node-1 Member

I didn’t see the part numbers posted? Could you list them here?

7. insaneoctane

I think he ran out of one of the types by only ordering one roll....he mentioned needing 2 rolls of one type ("P" ?) and 1 roll of the other ("Z"?)

8. kenforum

kenforum New Member

If you open the video in youtube, you will see the links he posted in the information section about the video.

9. mike123abc

mike123abc Member

#9 mike123abc, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    I ordered 2 of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MED8YPP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJRITA4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came to $50. It was tough to pick out a "P" one with the limited reviews, but ended up getting a $31 one. Zs were $10. His P was 4 meters the amazon was 7.62, so even though he ran out I figured almost 2x would cover it.

I tried to get them the same size as the ones he had picked on ebay.

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

not seen water issues in my car and have been through very bad conditions, so not sure this is really worth all the effort.
    I don't equate "premium" with woody sounds, as long as its not too tinny :D

11. Pied

Pied Member

I'm waiting to see if this actually will help with noise. The guy said he will do a highway test.

In my car it sounds like the noise is where the windows meet the seals

• Like x 1
  12. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Premium audio exists for a reason

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#13 SCW-Greg, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Another TMC member did a sound check/test video on this, long before this guy did. He recommended these P and Z strips from Amazon...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0784SDRFK/?coliid=I2WVQH55NC38OP&colid=15YUBMZLP2F1A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MED8YPP/?coliid=I1QLUANZN538XH&colid=15YUBMZLP2F1A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Her’s the link to that post:
    Reducing noise and keeping the door sills clean

And the video he made:

• Helpful x 2
  14. mcorf

mcorf Member

Has anyone tried it yet ?

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I just ordered from Amazon today. Z strip will be here tomorrow, P strips are out of stock until the 18th. I may try a different P shaped strip to see if I can get a solution in sooner.

16. SeanM

SeanM Member

How will the strip's adhesive hold on during hot summer days??

17. AlexM3

AlexM3 Member

It's possible that it will reduce some cabin noise but imho not worth the effort. I think we notice the wind noise in these cars more since they are quieter than ICE cars.

These videos focus on the sound the door itself makes when closed - a real test would be a dB meter in cabin during 70 MPH before and after.

18. Matt L

Matt L Member

The testing showed no real improvement. The wind noise isn’t a seal issue.

19. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

I did this and found a perceived slight improvement in tire noise and there is less dirt on the sill. Above 45mph, and louder over 60, it almost sounds like there is an open window so wind noise is an issue. VIN ~3000.

20. buddhra

buddhra Member

Here's my experience with the seals. It made a measurable difference in sound, but is totally worth it to me for keeping the sills cleaner.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1