Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone applied door seals (for noise) per this video / tweet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I put it on this afternoon and took it out for a 90 mile highway drive.

I did not do before/after sound meter measurements. But, subjectively it seemed to lower the pitch of the noise. The low level roar of bad pavement is still there, but seems lower in pitch. It probably cut some upper frequency noise, making the remaining noise seem lower pitch.

Subjectively it is better, and well worth the $$ and hour of time (really less than an hour). It was not hard to put on, and really the areas that are "Z" sealed seem almost made for it. There is an indent that the Z seal goes right into along the door edge.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I did this over the weekend, but went with "D" seals all around instead of the "Z", except for the front edge of front doors. It seems to be a tad quieter on freeways, but not sure. Although for about $20 and less than an hour all in, I'm good with it. And it should definitely keep the sills cleaner. Ever get into the car and the lower part of your pants leg slightly brushes the sill and grabs all that dirt? That's what I'm hoping this will prevent.

So I have some extra "D" seal and was thinking of adding them to the frunk lid. Any good reason against this? There's a vent below the base of the windshield I'm assuming for the HVAC system. Does there need to be air flowing through and under the frunk lid?

How do you vertically seal at the gap between the front and rear doors... with a D seal?

I assume you're referring to the bottom vertical gap of about 4 inches (not even sure why it's there)? I did a D seal on the entire vertical of the front door plus a Z seal just for that gap on the front edge of the rear door to fill it in. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

How will the strip's adhesive hold on during hot summer days??

I would be more concerned about adhesives becoming brittle during cold winter..... regardless surprisingly adhesive technology is getting better & better. Your probably not aware of this but adhesive caulking is all that's holding most Highrise double Glazing panels in place without any exterior aluminum holding clips...That is simply amazing!.

My Door Seals arrived yesterday, I just finished installing the pieces, which took about 1.5 hour (including break for a glass of wine) Apart from getting a more solid door closing experience, I did not really expect much more. BUT, I'm surprised to find also less cabin noise. I'm going to get a second opinion from a friend of mine, who has not done this upgrade, to confirm my conclusion.

I ordered the following kit:https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Soun...t&qid=1561674063&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

However the main road noise I believe is transmitted from the tires through the wheel wells, into the M3 cabin. When you take a closer look at the plastic wheel-well liner on the M3, That installation looks more like either an afterthought or another cost cutting feature. (much like transporting of M3's from the factory without any plastic warp to protect the cars paint from chips during transport down the highway.)

My 2017 Golf also had a plastic wheel-well liner, but in addition a plastic carpet like mesh had been fused to the liner. This plastic mesh has the ability to disperse road and absorb tire noise. That's what was responsible for making the Golf cabin less noisy using summer radials, same cannot be said for winter tires.

FYI: If I place my hand under the wheel well as shown in the pic. there is a large gap where 2 plastic wheel-liners meet, there is no fastener, they just hang there, unsecured and until now unnoticed. :( 2019-06-26_17-06-49.png

we could try apply in the wheel arches/boot etc mats etc might be worth trying
There comes a point where what WE as owner do, should be re- directed to what We as Owners can do to elevate and improve Tesla's output product. Elon has admitted building a car is hard work. All I'm trying to do is contribute to building a better product in the future. I just hope he realizes that this type of feedback is worth something.