Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone autocross the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone taken a Model Y to an autocross yet? What class would it run in? It's not in the SCCA rulebook yet.

If I'm not mistaken. Treadwidth 64.4" > Height 63.9" so it should be legal to run.
SCCA reclassed *all* dual-motor Tesla’s, of any model, into Super Street this year. Not super fair for the non-3 models, but the Y would theoretically be in SS.

I was casually browsing the website the other day myself. I think it would be a fun day to run the Y in Autocross, it's surprisingly capable. One of the problem's I see are the electronic nanny's though. TC intervention happens very early in this car, doesn't really allow for any type of wheel slip. That system would need some circumvention in order to set any type of competitive time.

Hi everyone. I had a chance to track my car this weekend. It was a blast. Since it was my first autocross, I was in the novice class and concentrated on just getting through all the gates and leaving the cones up rather than trying to tune the car at the track. I have MPP coilovers so prior to driving there, I increased the stiffness from my comfort settings to 10 for compression & rebound in front and 8 for compression and 6 for rebound in the rear. From the feel and watching the video of my runs, I'll try to go stiffer in the front next time. I also increased the front tire pressure to 50 psi to keep the tire from rolling over too much and it was about perfect.

There were 32 cars total and I finished 27th so not the slowest car out there lol. There were only 2 Tesla's in the novice class and I had the best time between us so they gave me a trophy :p. Just to put things into perspective and to keep my head from getting too big, my best time was 64 secs (first run of the course was 189 with all the missed gates ) but a little Miata had the best time of the day at 43 secs!!! He was crazy fast and very experienced with a perfectly tuned and modified car.

If you've never done an autocross before, I highly recommend it. It gives you a chance to feel how your car responds at the limits of traction - something most of us are unfamiliar with. Even after walking the course several times prior to driving, the sea of cones was kind of overwhelming and the organizers admitted they throw extra cones in to disorient drivers and make it even harder. The car had tons more to give and I know my lack of experience was the limiting factor. I can't wait to do it again.

20210724_133934.jpg

Track.jpeg

20210724_160745.jpg

I regularly track mine. Do an autocross monthly as well as occasional track days. Make sure make sure make sure you bring something to cool your brakes. They heat up and fade super quickly. I'm planning on some upgrades there first of all (better pads and brake lines/fluid).

The car is fun. Without track mode you can't control traction, power delivery, etc. but it's still a good time. Just accept that if you mess up even a little you'll lose traction and thus acceleration for a couple of seconds. I have a blast in mine though, as I needed a Y over a 3. Just don't expect to be competitive against the Model 3's and Porsche GT3's you're in class with. It's a for fun car in the SS class.

Reactions: superflyrolla